Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Egg Thoughts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    Straw man.

No one is excited about what our offense did Saturday- or at least they shouldn?t be. You can be pissed about us shooting ourselves in the foot, while also being excited about the future of this offense. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Leach averaged 20.4 PPG in year 1 at WSU, and that was with a full offseason/spring. He then averaged 31-40 PPG every year from 2013-2019. I expect us to make a big jump next season. If we don?t, then barring some crazy circumstances yeah we?ve got problems.
    I agree. I am willing to wait and see more but just anointing him the king of O at this point is just ignorant but what many are doing. Like what the D has done and they have proved their position. O not so much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Teams **** up on offense every week. Guess what? Next year we will have bad snaps, fumbles, penalties, illegal formation penalties as well. Our offensive talent Saturday was greater than the talent OM put on the field defensively. Spin spin spin- but a turd is still a turd
    Our talent was better but they had two weeks to prepare and our players are way younger than their defense. Does that not matter?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Teams **** up on offense every week. Guess what? Next year we will have bad snaps, fumbles, penalties, illegal formation penalties as well. Our offensive talent Saturday was greater than the talent OM put on the field defensively. Spin spin spin- but a turd is still a turd
    Seems to be the problem with the O. It must be perfect to work. Not gonna happen in the SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    do not think we will improve?
    We may be a little better next year. But until we put some innovation into the run game- we will not win SEC games. Our current offense the way its called will not win the SEC. 61 passes against one of the worst run defenses in the country wont fly in SEC football.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    We have the fewest fumbles as a team in the SEC. And it's not like we're having illegal formation penalties every week. And yeah- snaps are an issue and that will get corrected. Our centers are a sophomore and a DT.

vCash
    I know you know this but typically the more experience you have the less of those F ups you commit.

Also, I hate to tell you but our WRs except for one who is legit and the other bc he is tough and smart are not more talented than anyone. 11 should get all of 5 and 18s reps. 5 had a huge play on a deep ball and saw a safety coming and ran away from the ball. Anyway before I get off point, you should know better

vCash
    We may be a little better next year. But until we put some innovation into the run game- we will not win SEC games. Our current offense the way its called will not win the SEC. 61 passes against one of the worst run defenses in the country wont fly in SEC football.
    They also had one of the worst pass defenses in the SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Our talent was better but they had two weeks to prepare and our players are way younger than their defense. Does that not matter?
    Gun you been harping on the two weeks to prepare for air raid. It don't take that long. Only got to defend a few plays and nothing in the run game. It ain't rocket science. Hasn't changed in 20+ years.

vCash
    True, we ain't taking the next step with this philosophy.

vCash
    I do wish we would do more with the run game. It is in the book, he has done it before. That we agree on. BUT..

You either did not watch the game or are just carrying this on for popularity sake. It took a 14-0 swing on a fumble at the GL for them to beat us. The last 2 weeks, with the fewest amount of scholly players in the league, and with the least amount of experience, has come down to the last play on the road against 2 SEC opponents. Come on dude.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We have the fewest fumbles as a team in the SEC. And it's not like we're having illegal formation penalties every week. And yeah- snaps are an issue and that will get corrected. Our centers are a sophomore and a DT.
    Don't worry we make up for it in pick 6s. But Will has done well not turning it over the past several games, got lucky a few at UGA but he is learning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I really don't have a problem with anyone that wants to critique what we have seen so far this year, even though there are plenty of good reasons why our offense has not performed well. But I do have problems with folks like C34 and others that are already professing that it will be the 'same shit' production next year. Why don't we wait until we see all of these young guys go through a Spring and be in their 2nd year in the system and THEN see how they perform before we crap all over them and the Leach system for a season that hasn't even begun yet. I have a major issue with those already campaigning that we won't ever win with Leach and are apparently fully prepared to do nothing but run the program down for the next 2 seasons. Because unless Leach does something OFF the field to get canned he will be here at least for 2 more football seasons. Just sowing negativity in the fanbase for the heck of it right now over Leach is totally counterproductive to everything related to MSU football and so for folks that are going to do that, I really wish they would just go away.
    THIS! For a few vocal fans all they do is whine about how they don't like what we're doing. It's absolutely absurd. And the ONLY reason they're running our coach down is because they want to see more exciting plays where we hand the ball off. At MSU we not only want to win- but by God we have to win running the ball because that's what we do like a bunch of dumb rednecks.**

Not to mention the fact that we are probably the only offense in SEC history to be as young as we are and to play with as few OL as we have had. Sure there are some that are playing that have JR or Soph listed to their name, but If it?s their first reps they are still a Freshman. The most experienced position is LG and RG literally all the rest except for Williams are young or they do not play as hard as they should. You cannot play it both ways. You get on here almost ad nasuem about other teams, ESP Auburn year in year out about how young they are say that?s the reason they?ll kick our ass the next year. We are playing with less experience than anyone in the conference and a brand new system. That is a hell of a spot to be in as a coach...You should know that...You do not think we will improve?
    Of course we won't improve. Everyone else gets better except us.**

vCash
    I know you know this but typically the more experience you have the less of those F ups you commit.

Also, I hate to tell you but our WRs except for one who is legit and the other bc he is tough and smart are not more talented than anyone. 11 should get all of 5 and 18s reps. 5 had a huge play on a deep ball and saw a safety coming and ran away from the ball. Anyway before I get off point, you should know better
    Look- I like your kid and think he will be a solid college QB. I just dont think the offense the way we run it currently is going to work. Agree we need to add some innovation to the run game with a counter or buck with a thumper in the offense. Hell, I run an RPO with the Buck that stretches the field horizontally. Our Genius could at least do that. If Leach will morph as a veteran as Saban did- he will be successful. If he doesnt? He will go the way of Les Miles
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    We do not have more talent at WR than they have at DB. We have 2 WRs that would get an offer from someone else. And 4 is not one of them atm. He is getting better but he has got to mature. He is killing us with penalties. He has a chance to be legit but I would take 85 over him right now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Don't worry we make up for it in pick 6s. But Will has done well not turning it over the past several games, got lucky a few at UGA but he is learning.
    Will simply takes care of the ball better than Costello. In hindsight to me that's Leach's biggest mistake. Not going with Will to start with. But I understand why he didn't since he was a true freshman and coaches tend to lean on experience- sometimes too much in some cases. Also, Rogers was sick the first two games.

If we don't have the pick 6's we beat Arkansas and Kentucky and our season is probably completely different.

vCash
    I think the answer is in the middle.

I think Leach is a really good coach with a good, not great offensive system that lacks versatility

Because he's an excellent manager/decision maker/culture setter with a good offensive system, we're going to get pretty good and consistent.

However, to really compete for the West, he'll need to make some adaptations in the run game. It's probably why he's always won, but never won his division or conference
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Look- I like your kid and think he will be a solid college QB. I just dont think the offense the way we run it currently is going to work. Agree we need to add some innovation to the run game with a counter or buck with a thumper in the offense. Hell, I run an RPO with the Buck that stretches the field horizontally. Our Genius could at least do that. If Leach will morph as a veteran as Saban did- he will be successful. If he doesnt? He will go the way of Les Miles
    Again you just can?t get out of your own way. He is not my kid. I love him to death won?t deny that but he is not my kid. Lame as hell of you to keep that on.

The rest I agree with to an extent. I personally would not do what he does either. I hate being one dimensional. It will work, change or die. We agree on that. But some of y?all just act like there is no chance and that is ridiculous. You me and Bear Bryant could not do much with what he has been given. The kids fight harder than they have fought since the gator bowl of 2017!

vCash
    2020 OM Defense is the only defense in the HISTORY OF THE SEC- to give up 501 yards plus per game and over 7 yards per play. Historically bad defense.

But we should be excited we scored 24 against a team giving up 40 per. Got it.
    Dear gosh.

Nobody is saying we all of the sudden have a good offense and are right where we need to be. Just that we have shown growth and there is reason to think we will be just fine in the long run given who our coach is and some of the bright spots we have seen in recent games.

Our defense from October 3rd to November 7th was one of the worst in college football. We finished with 2 points against a very mediocre Kentucky team and barely cracked 200 yards of offense against a Vandy defense that is currently ranked 116th in the country. We were as low as a Mike Leach offense possibly could have been. But comparative to where we were just three weeks ago, the offense has clearly made improvements. Even if you don't think we did enough against Ole Miss, we have still taken steps forward in the last two games.

Our freshman QB has progressively gotten better in each of his three starts and just threw for 440 and three TDs, we have a true freshman WR who has more yards in 8 games than any of our receivers since 2016 have had in a full 13 game season, and we are having to play two freshmen tailbacks and two freshmen tackles. We are getting either very little or flat out nothing from the players we expected to be leading us at the beginning of the year.

It is never OK to lose the Egg Bowl and it is disappointing that we made some mistakes that cost us the game. But we were dead to rights two weeks ago and our fans were claiming we should cancel the rest of our games because we were just going to get embarrassed in all of them. Instead we have played two road games against teams that are better than us this year, all while we have been massively short-handed, and we gave those teams all we could handle all while showing the first signs of life that our offense has shown since Week 1.

Now I do think we need to find a way to beat Auburn or Missouri so that we can have something other than moral victories to hang our hats on, but I am pleased with the growth we have shown in recent weeks and now feel much better about our chances to win either of these last two games.
    Last edited by Captain Falcon; 11-30-2020 at 10:26 PM.

vCash
    I think the answer is in the middle.

I think Leach is a really good coach with a good, not great offensive system that lacks versatility

Because he's an excellent manager/decision maker/culture setter with a good offensive system, we're going to get pretty good and consistent.

However, to really compete for the West, he'll need to make some adaptations in the run game. It's probably why he's always won, but never won his division or conference
    We have a better shot at the west with this than we had with ******* ?power spread? as y?all call it. Bama will eat that shit for lunch. Spin a safety to the RB side down for the read option/QB power/counter and play cover 1 and 2 man on 3rd down and Mullen was in his shell.

vCash
    That's what's funny. Leach is actually ahead of schedule yet very few realize it.
    That's the thing. Leach- unlike Croom or Moorhead- has an actual track record of doing this. And so far it has played out like it has before. Which makes freaking out even less intelligent at this point.

The other funny thing is Leach's offense is pretty close in PPG to Dan in 2009- and our offense PPG is the same as 2010 and 2011 with a good chance of passing those two in the next couple of games.

And what did some of these same posters say on sixpack at the time? "Wait till Dan gets the right personnel in". And yet- Leach with a plethora of freshmen and sophomores and a broken culture essentially performing at the same level as Dan "won't work in the SEC".

Heck- Dan's best offenses were when could actually pass the ball adequately.