Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leach could increase our running plays by 10%...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    and we would still lead the country in passing play percentage by 4%.

We have faced the same defense 7 weeks in a row. We are dead last in the country in rushing yards per game. Dead freaking last against a 3 man front.

Are there people on this board that don't think Leach needs to adjust his scheme? Just trying to find some common ground here.
    Exactly. And you want to run it more.

Here's a hint- it's still not going to work because we're still not going to be able to run the ball. It doesn't matter what kind of misdirection/counter/etc. play you want to run. If you can't block you can't block.

And no- Leach doesn't need to adjust his scheme. He needs to develop our players which he is doing now and has done everywhere else. And he needs to bring in talent to add to our core group which is playing very well for freshmen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    At Washington State in 2018 the Minshew year, they had 5 100+ yard running games.

I'm not exactly sure why we aren't running it more & maybe more importantly, why we aren't having more success running it, but I think running it more is the goal
    Our offensive line and running backs need to develop. Our center is struggling snapping the ball. We get beat by good pass rushers despite teams only rushing three. They're getting better but like most of the rest of the team they're young. Cross is our best guy and he's a RS freshman. Smith, Dollar Bill, and Kam Jones are RS sophomores. Parker has been IMO probably our most consistent guy and he is a senior.

And then we're playing two freshmen RB's who I think are solid but they're not Leonard Fournette either. They aren't guys that are going to break too many long runs. At least not yet- if they ever will be.

I think as we develop we'll see the YPC get up to around 4 YPC.

vCash
    I think part of it is our RBs aren't really that good this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RezDog7 View Post
    You do realize a 3-8 doesn't mean that the defense flies out into the secondary at the snap of the ball right.
    No he doesn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    I think part of it is our RBs aren't really that good this year.
    Yep, I've wondered why Witherspoon doesn't get more playing time. #23 runs like a blind fullback.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    That's all he is every going to see for the most part in this conference. You dont change what works.

And I hear people saying it's going to be better next year and all that. The windows to throw are going to be just as small next year as they were this year. DC's get the offseason to study ways of making the 3-8 even tougher. We had 479 yards yesterday of offense. That helped the OM D bring DOWN their average per game to 528.5 yards given up. We got 50 less yards than their average per game against a prevent D
    True. And teams are already making small tweaks to the 3-8. OM played our RB man to man to take away the checkdown. A&M made a couple of tweaks as far as mixing up their 3 man rushes. Vandy switched some things up during the game. UGA was probably the most uncomfortable with the 3-8 dropping their LB's 10 yards deep at the snap. Once they finally adjusted and started jumping the underneath stuff, they shut us down the last 4 possessions.

Yep, 479 yards- 41 of those yards on the desperation hail mary to Spivey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Exactly. And you want to run it more.

Here's a hint- it's still not going to work because we're still not going to be able to run the ball. It doesn't matter what kind of misdirection/counter/etc. play you want to run. If you can't block you can't block.

And no- Leach doesn't need to adjust his scheme. He needs to develop our players which he is doing now and has done everywhere else. And he needs to bring in talent to add to our core group which is playing very well for freshmen.
    Todd, let the grown ups talk. Sit this one out.

vCash
    True. And teams are already making small tweaks to the 3-8. OM played our RB man to man to take away the checkdown. A&M made a couple of tweaks as far as mixing up their 3 man rushes. Vandy switched some things up during the game. UGA was probably the most uncomfortable with the 3-8 dropping their LB's 10 yards deep at the staff. Once they finally adjusted, they shut us down the last 4 possessions.

Yep, 479 yards- 41 of those yards on the desperation hail mary to Spivey.
    Ole Miss had 2 weeks to get prepare as well.

Seems as if we did a bad job early yesterday of diagnosing what OM was doing. Once we did, we moved the ball easily, but those 3 missed possessions early likely cost us the game.

With all teams running a 3-8 vs us, there is only so much they can do. Soon Rogers & the WRs will have seen everything that's possible in that defense & will diagnose it quicker
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Todd, let the grown ups talk. Sit this one out.
    Merry Christmas! Maybe you'll post better next year and say less stupid shit.

https://www.amazon.com/Football-Dumm...-1&tag=mh0b-20

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Yep, I've wondered why Witherspoon doesn't get more playing time. #23 runs like a blind fullback.
    I want to see more Witherspoon too.

vCash
    and we would still lead the country in passing play percentage by 4%.

We have faced the same defense 7 weeks in a row. We are dead last in the country in rushing yards per game. Dead freaking last against a 3 man front.

Are there people on this board that don't think Leach needs to adjust his scheme? Just trying to find some common ground here.
    I think he needs some OL, needs one to get healthy and one to kill it in the training room. Same with the RBs. Leach isn't running the full playbook yet. In the past, he's run it more. Got to find the players and have a full offseason. And yes, some tweaks would help too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    And yes, some tweaks would help too.
    That's all I want. That's all any sane person should want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Well we need to figure out how bc the defense is giving us the run
    Mississippi committed 7 to the run most of the day.
    We are seeing a lot of 3 man fronts but there are 4 more guys within 6 yards of the line flying down hill when they read run. And they all are in zone with their eyes in the backfield. Nobody's back turns from the line in man. What should really be there is play action.

I do expect our OL to get better at combos and working to the next level though. And more mature backs. We will run it better in time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Ole Miss had 2 weeks to get prepare as well.

Seems as if we did a bad job early yesterday of diagnosing what OM was doing. Once we did, we moved the ball easily, but those 3 missed possessions early likely cost us the game.

With all teams running a 3-8 vs us, there is only so much they can do. Soon Rogers & the WRs will have seen everything that's possible in that defense & will diagnose it quicker
    The 3 empty possessions in the third quarter too.
    Of course, Cole rolling the ball back to will cost us a chance to keep 2 drives going. Will was carving them up and both of those snaps ended drives. Those 2 snaps and the fumble at the goal line were the difference. Didn't play clean enough.

vCash
    To echo a lot of this is like to see us run more as well but more but when is the last time you saw a 10 yard run from a back - or heck even multiple 5 yard runs.

Whether it’s the blocking or the back or a combination right now we are way worse running then all than throwing the ball.

Really we need the qb to run more or some play action to manipulate the LB if the rb aren’t going to get it done. Or maybe the trick is to run deeper routes because seems teams have tons of defenders within 5 yards of the LOS which doesn’t leave a lot of running lanes

vCash
    I thought our run/pass percentage would be similar to 2008 TT going into the year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb...tech/2008.html

I was hoping we would see some toss sweeps yesterday too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Chaser View Post
    I thought our run/pass percentage would be similar to 2008 TT going into the year.

I think that average is more in line with what we can expect from Leach while he is here as we progress as a team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Chaser View Post

Took Leach a while to build that. Didn't happen the 1st pandemic shortened year he walked into a TT locker room.

Took him 9 years at TT to get there which was close to Big 12 championship with Texas being top-tier CFB team then.

Talent pool around Southeast is greater for Leach at MSU. I believe he can achieve something similar quicker at MSU. He will make some tweaks as time goes on IMO. Gotta give him some time tho.

vCash
    Do we win that game with Kylin Hill?

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Wouldn?t mind seeing a counter trap play with pulling guards and add some misdirection in the run game. The issue is that right now we basically just have two run plays- inside zone and RB draw. When the defense knows that the only threat of the run comes from those two plays, they can crash down and not really have to play gap responsibility. People can scream run the ball more all day, but even when we run it now, we are extremely inefficient at it.

Simply handing it off 6-8 times more per game will not solve the issue. We are what we are in that department for now. What Cooter said is pretty much dead on. We need to find more of the right kind of OL, get in an offseason with the ones we do have, and get more experienced/stronger at RB. I do think Leach?s system is sound and works. It is by no means broken, but a tweak here and there in the run game would make it better.