Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Leach could increase our running plays by 10%...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    I think it's obvious to every state fan that we need to run the ball more. I just don't know if Leach will do it or not. I'm afraid that 3 years from now we'll be hiring another spread/run coach and we'll get to start all over again building what Mullen built. That's my fear.
    Agree, my biggest fear too. We hired a guy that will force us into two major rebuilds to get back. First one is Leach running an odd system, next one will be to get us out of this system. That is a lot of bad years of football.

We'll be the joke of SEC football jokes again. Something JWS and Mullen both changed in their time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    It's probably why I'm more pissed at Leach than I ever was with Moorhead. Moorehead should have never been hired to run an SEC program. There was nothing Moorhead could do.

Leach could be great, but for some reason, he won't adapt. Great coaches adapt.
    Same here hoops. We look as dumb or dumber than LSU staying in man the whole game. We've been stupid every game not adapting any. No business or anything in life can succeed long term without adapting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Agree, my biggest fear too. We hired a guy that will force us into two major rebuilds to get back. First one is Leach running an odd system, next one will be to get us out of this system. That is a lot of bad years of football.

We'll be the joke of SEC football jokes again. Something JWS and Mullen both changed in their time.
    His system attracts good QB's and WR's. That's a good starting point for any head coach. Imagine what may have happened if Moorhead had guys like Rogers and Walley/Heath when he came on board.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Are you sure about that?
    Yes - we are sure about that; I can go game by game on youtube, snap by snap. He has never seen the 3-8 used almost exclusively the entire game except when he played Washington.

vCash
    I'll be completely honest, we called some very solid run plays on Saturday and our backs just never hit the hole. I counted two or three times where Marks could've taken the 5-7 yards they were giving and he tried to bounce it. We should've had 60-70 yards rushing on Saturday

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I'll be completely honest, we called some very solid run plays on Saturday and our backs just never hit the hole. I counted two or three times where Marks could've taken the 5-7 yards they were giving and he tried to bounce it. We should've had 60-70 yards rushing on Saturday
    One things for sure, with our wide splits and scheme, we need a back that's going to take the ball and go immediately downhill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    We ran for 57.
    Lost 18 on coles snaps though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    We ran for 57.
    Lost 18 on coles snaps though
    Ahh ok so we could've easily ran for 100+ had our backs hit the hole or Will taken off a couple of times he was wide open. I know there was one 1st down that he tried to force one and probably could've ran for 15-20 yards. He tucked it and ran two plays later and got 9 or 10 yards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    Yes - we are sure about that; I can go game by game on youtube, snap by snap. He has never seen the 3-8 used almost exclusively the entire game except when he played Washington.
    I suspect not every DC in the Pac 12 for the past 6 years was a moron and that at least a few of them tried to copy Petersen's scheme but found it didn't work as well without the massive talent advantage.

I'm concerned about Leach's offense but the concern isn't that it will continue to look like it does this year. Leach isn't just going to retire a loser because he doesn't want to adjust. If we continue to suck after he has time and reps with the team, I expect that he will adjust.

It's much more likely that we find out that a huge part of the problem this year was not having enough time to get his system installed and the reps needed, and also that the speed and athleticism in the SEC means the required precision is just too high to run the traditional air raid with consistent success. And as a result, he'll taste just enough success that he doesn't have to adjust, but repeats something similar to Mullen's 2009-2013 run.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I suspect not every DC in the Pac 12 for the past 6 years was a moron and that at least a few of them tried to copy Petersen's scheme but found it didn't work as well without the massive talent advantage.

I'm concerned about Leach's offense but the concern isn't that it will continue to look like it does this year. Leach isn't just going to retire a loser because he doesn't want to adjust. If we continue to suck after he has time and reps with the team, I expect that he will adjust.

It's much more likely that we find out that a huge part of the problem this year was not having enough time to get his system installed and the reps needed, and also that the speed and athleticism in the SEC means the required precision is just too high to run the traditional air raid with consistent success. And as a result, he'll taste just enough success that he doesn't have to adjust, but repeats something similar to Mullen's 2009-2013 run.
    I mean the pac 12 did hire Peter Sirmon after his debacle here