Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh How ED has changed......

vCash
    Base, I think a lot of us wrote off the season from the start. Most of the predictions on here were for a losing season - which I don't recall happening before. LSU was fools gold, but with all the adversity this year those of us who tend to be optimists look for the good and signs of progress instead of beating dead horses. Doesn't make losing any easier, but like you have to do after a loss you put it behind you and start looking ahead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Good post and good point.

I believe perspective and an understanding of the reality of our current situation is important when attempting to form a thoughtful opinion.

To each their own though. I certainly hate losing.
    This. All day.

Next year is a different situation.

vCash
    I read where we had only 47 scholarship players dressed out. Ok I can understand somewhat, but is all the fault with players leaving, dismissed and opting out? You got to lay some of the blame with Leach, he wants his own program so he doesn't like what he is seeing and those are gone. No way do I think all of even some of those guys are at fault. It's Leach who IS changing the so called "culture", but sometimes there needs to be some give and take to a certain degree. No way should some of you guys be blaming Mullen, he didn't have a probably with those players that he recruited and Leach has run off.
    It's Leach's team and program now, let's hope he is correct and proves his style of Coaching will succeed at Msu.
    In saying this, players have to step up and show leadership as well. No doubt the JoMo two year deal with what players he had was a huge disappointment. I also think JoMo's staff wasn't very good and I do think Leach has a better staff.
    I'm just not sure about the let's tear everything down and start over, I would have rather seen more of adjustments to what players we Leach started out with. Don't get me wrong no doubt some needed "culling" but damn look at how many are missing now. 60 year old coaches don't seem to change unless you are Nick Saban.

vCash
    Many feel better because we now have an offensive pulse. An offense with no pulse is what lowered the bar. This year - that's not on Moorhead or Mullen. The young players have gotten better for sure and that is the difference. But will they get enough better to make this offense electric? I think if you really understand this game, you have to realize that this off-season is Leachs most important offseason in his coaching history. Without changes to the way we attack defenses, this offense will always limit our players ability to win. The ship will sail as the pirate directs it. If you do not agree with this, don't bother arguing with me. Go back and really study our offense. Watch opposing teams linebackers and what they do each play....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I read where we had only 47 scholarship players dressed out. Ok I can understand somewhat, but is all the fault with players leaving, dismissed and opting out? You got to lay some of the blame with Leach, he wants his own program so he doesn't like what he is seeing and those are gone. No way do I think all of even some of those guys are at fault. It's Leach who IS changing the so called "culture", but sometimes there needs to be some give and take to a certain degree. No way should some of you guys be blaming Mullen, he didn't have a probably with those players that he recruited and Leach has run off.
    It's Leach's team and program now, let's hope he is correct and proves his style of Coaching will succeed at Msu.
    In saying this, players have to step up and show leadership as well. No doubt the JoMo two year deal with what players he had was a huge disappointment. I also think JoMo's staff wasn't very good and I do think Leach has a better staff.
    I'm just not sure about the let's tear everything down and start over, I would have rather seen more of adjustments to what players we Leach started out with. Don't get me wrong no doubt some needed "culling" but damn look at how many are missing now. 60 year old coaches don't seem to change unless you are Nick Saban.
    Agreed. So far leach is no better than Moorhead in my opinion. With only looking at what we have seen while they have been here. I do believe we play harder though, no doubt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Many feel better because we now have an offensive pulse. An offense with no pulse is what lowered the bar. This year - that's not on Moorhead or Mullen. The young players have gotten better for sure and that is the difference. But will they get enough better to make this offense electric? I think if you really understand this game, you have to realize that this off-season is Leachs most important offseason in his coaching history. Without changes to the way we attack defenses, this offense will always limit our players ability to win. The ship will sail as the pirate directs it. If you do not agree with this, don't bother arguing with me. Go back and really study our offense. Watch opposing teams linebackers and what they do each play....
    Will made Ole Miss make a change and I'm hopeful it's something Leach accounts for going forward. His ability to run when things broke down or no one was open made Ole Miss take a guy away from their drop 8 and spy him on a couple different occasions last night. And that opened things up, especially when Will had to scramble and look downfield.

I'll be happier next year if I see Leach:

1) Allow the QB to run more when things break down. Not designed runs. But scramble runs. You can tell he's taught the QB to look downfield literally as long as physically possible. Last night Will dropped it down and extended drives because the defense allowed it. Have to take advantage of that going forward.

2) More creativity and thought put behind the run game. It's obvious the run game has been much of an afterthought. In the Big 12 and PAC 12, you can run that offense and gash up the middle as a change of pace. Can't do that in the SEC. Guys are too athletic. We will need to scheme the run game much more going forward.

I would also like our pass/run splits to be more 70/30 or 75/25. I don't think we can be successful at 83/17 which is the stat was displayed prior to the Georgia game.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 11-29-2020 at 09:53 AM.

vCash
    Year one of a total rebuild nobody asked for. You take the positives you can find. Once Leach gets his guys here, then we'll see.

vCash
    What I saw was freshmen everywhere... 2nd and 3rd deep . What I saw was improvement... What I saw was young guys playing their hearts out ... even though we got burned deep or a receiver lost the ball at the goal line I still saw a team that didn't quit . After the way this season started and the way it's progressing now then yeah - I'll stick my chest out and and accept what we have and not really give a damn what someone else thinks ... it took mos of the season but at least I'm feeling more encouraged than I have in a couple of years
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    We had a roster allergic to the forward pass. This was always a complete rebuild. No one wanted to look as bad as we did for 5 weeks but improvement with freshmen is encouraging. No one should have been shocked with 2-6 in the league. No cupcakes to practice on this year. And I hate to break it to y'all, but ole miss has had a chance to win every game this year except v Florida. As bad as their D is, they are top half of the league this year. Will Leach work here? It's way too early to make that call.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Could you imagine if someone here tried to sell a moral victory losing to OM when Mullen or Moorhead were the coach? That poster would be torn apart. Now we have posters that will be walking into the office with their chest poked out, "you guys see us only lose by 7 to ole miss? We some BAs"
    This. Well, Leach is the first coach since Croom on our side and Ogre on theirs to lose his first Egg Bowl. But at least our offense showed signs of life against a bottom 5 defense in the country.

I have not made my mind up about what will happen with this offense. I am fairly confident that it won?t work without some changes (more formations, morion, etc), but I have to believe Leach is smart enough to make some. I know Leach?s philosophy is execute a few plays perfectly but I don?t think it will work in the SEC to have an offense where the other team knows exactly what?s coming.
    Last edited by bluelightstar; 11-29-2020 at 10:27 AM.

vCash
    Not true. I called for Joe's firing after signing day 2019

The title was "JoMo has to go"
    Wasnt this when you were starting 75 threads a day? One of your threads was "Joe can fix this" too

I hate losing to Mississippi and still pissed. I think why some fans find it a little bit more tolerable is because it's not the last game of the season and there is still more MSU football if this was the last game with the same record there would be 15 threads calling for Leach's firing.
    Last edited by Fader21; 11-29-2020 at 10:40 AM.

vCash
    "Will Leach work here? It's way too early to make that call"

Yes to this But he needs to find a running game. I will say I was surprised the game was close, still only 24 points against maybe the worse defense in the Sec.

Btw, why did we change punters?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    What I saw was freshmen everywhere... 2nd and 3rd deep . What I saw was improvement... What I saw was young guys playing their hearts out ... even though we got burned deep or a receiver lost the ball at the goal line I still saw a team that didn't quit . After the way this season started and the way it's progressing now then yeah - I'll stick my chest out and and accept what we have and not really give a damn what someone else thinks ... it took mos of the season but at least I'm feeling more encouraged than I have in a couple of years
    Our offense ain’t great yet but it’s already light years better than what we had with Joe
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    "Will Leach work here? It's way too early to make that call"

Yes to this But he needs to find a running game. I will say I was surprised the game was close, still only 24 points against maybe the worse defense in the Sec.

Btw, why did we change punters?
    We could?ve easily had 40 points yesterday.

Tucker Day is hurt I believe

vCash
    We could?ve easily had 40 points yesterday.

Tucker Day is hurt I believe
    Not sure about 40 points but if so OM could have had more than 40, Kiffin's gambles could have cost him the game. Second guessing is fun thou. Imagine IF we had OM running game or IF OM had our defense?

vCash
    Our offense ain’t great yet but it’s already light years better than what we had with Joe
    Using conference games only comparing last year and this year, we're down in total off, scoring off, and yds/play

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Using conference games only comparing last year and this year, we're down in total off, scoring off, and yds/play
    Well the reply to that is going to be “we are playing freshmen”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Year one of a total rebuild nobody asked for. You take the positives you can find. Once Leach gets his guys here, then we'll see.
    I'm sick of hearing his guys... Did Mullen have "his guys" in 09? What about in 10? Does Lane or Pittman have his guys?
    What about Drink at Mizz?? Leach getting 5MM a year to win games. Good coaches take what they have and try and win. Leach would rather be in Key West

vCash
    Not sure about 40 points but if so OM could have had more than 40, Kiffin's gambles could have cost him the game. Second guessing is fun thou. Imagine IF we had OM running game or IF OM had our defense?
    Williams fumble would've been 28 points, a FG on the final drive would've been 31, Leach going for a TD instead of FG on 2nd to final drive would've been 38, & then a FG on either of Cole Smith's bad snap drives in which we were driving.

True Ole Miss could've had 40, but our defense is short handed right now that I don't really care about that

vCash
    Y'all bicker more than me and my ex wife. Point is..... We got better since getting embarrassed vs Kentucky. Our freshmen have grown up. And the team isn't playing like a bunch of individuals. We all predicted 4 wins..... Well..... We were 2 off. This team is gonna get better.

Moral victory though? No..... They played hard and kept it closer than I expected but a loss is a loss. But some of you want to kick Leach off faster than he got here.