Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd lowest point total scored vs OM in 2020

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    Only because Mullen came after Croom. Hell you could have put a mob bucket out there as a coach and it would have been better than Croom. But still, tell me again what was Mullen's SEC record in his first year? I understand being bitter about losing to the shitbirds, but this doom and gloom shit on this board is getting to be intolerable.
    If anyone tries to compare the first year of Leach to the first year of Mullen, they immediately lose any crediblity. I've never been so happy to be 5-7 as I was under Mullen.

vCash
    Here's the deal. A few weeks ago, I was convinced this offense would never work in the SEC. I still think that, but I think if he adapts, it has a chance. Leach's pass to run ratio seems to be moving heavier towards pass as his career goes on. That's not going to work. At Texas Tech, he ran the ball much more, and I think he needs to move back to that. I know he's not gonna abandon the air raid. I'm not advocating for him to. But he's got to establish a better running game than he has now. This simple draw BS isn't enough. He needs more pre-snap movement, sweeps, counters, maybe a read option. Those are easy 8 yard gains that he's giving up on in favor of check down passes. The defense isn't having to think. A thinking defense is a slow defense.

Right now, this offense will put up enough points to beat bad teams. If you have a negative play, the drive is toast. If you have to move with a sense of urgency, you're toast. If you have a 3rd or 4th and short, you're limited on what you can do because you literally have two running plays. It doesn't make sense. Leach can keep doing this and he'll win 4-5 games a year and will retire to Key West in 2 more years. Or he can adapt, add creativity and a better running game, and bump our ceiling to 7-8 wins. It's up to him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    If anyone tries to compare the first year of Leach to the first year of Mullen, they immediately lose any crediblity. I've never been so happy to be 5-7 as I was under Mullen.
    Why were you happy though? Mullen had OOC cupcakes to beat and to instill his offense accordingly. However he only won 3 SEC games that year and wasn't that much better the next year. You and C34 have grinded out an agenda over the past 6 weeks against Leach even though everyone else can understand the odds stacking against him. You are the one with not a lot of credibility.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    How many of those teams have a freshman QB?

How many of those teams have a defense depleted so badly that they can't really give the offense a short field to work with or turn the ball over? Happy? No. But seeing what 49 guys bought into Leach can do? Yes.

I get it. You want to be right about Leach. But we took 49 scholarship players into Oxford with a freshman QB, a freshman RB, and a freshman WR leading in their respective categories.

The team we have left plays damned hard. And if you want to give OM the field goals, give us the fluke fumble at the 1 by Austin Williams as a TD since we are giving teams things they didn't earn.

Get that out of here tonight. We played hard. Offense looks better. Still needs work. Defense is insanely depleted. And we were 10 point underdogs. We shouldn't have won. We didn't win. But we very well could have.

This was the most meaningless Egg Bowl in the last 20 years. I'll be ok. Not happy but can see the progress.
    I listen to the radio and Matt said there was only 47 scholarship players and we played 14 freshman. We have a good core of guys to build around. OLe miss dressed out 30+ more guys then we had.

vCash
    Why were you happy though? Mullen had OOC cupcakes to beat and to instill his offense accordingly. However he only won 3 SEC games that year and wasn't that much better the next year. You and C34 have grinded out an agenda over the past 6 weeks against Leach even though everyone else can understand the odds stacking against him. You are the one with not a lot of credibility.
    Georgia tech and Houston weren't cupcakes. Didn't we play the hardest schedule in the year that season?

vCash
    I have no agenda except I want State to win. I was optimistic when we hired Leach. This season has been one of the worst coaching jobs I've ever witnessed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Georgia tech and Houston weren't cupcakes. Didn't we play the hardest schedule in the year that season?
    LMAO- Ga Tech and Houston both won 10 games in 2009 that season. Our fans will go to any lengths to try and prop up coaches that suck
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    We did, hardest schedule in the country Dan’s first year

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    LMAO- Ga Tech and Houston both won 10 games in 2009 that season. Our fans will go to any lengths to try and prop up coaches that suck
    We may not win another game in while Leach is coach here but a high school offensive coordinator saying a SEC head coach sucks is funny to me. If only you would have gotten that GA gig you would be the one we are criticizing on this board tonight.

vCash
    I've never been more embarrassed for a grown ass man than I am for C34. To be a Fing HS coach and literally maintain that had he taken a GA job he'd be making 5M a year is the most uncle Rico thing I've ever literally witnessed.

And yes, he'll just move the goalposts no matter what happens going forward. Remember when he said this D would be bottom in the SEC? And then it was top till 2 they lost 4 starters? Yeah he literally counted pic 6's against the D because once the ball is intercepted the "offense becomes the defense". Literally- apparently if Costello throws an int and neither he nor the WR can run the CB down it's Arnett's fault. Now he pretends he never said any of it and shits on the O

How anyone can crap on an O with True Fr leading the way at every skill position, no depth at all, and that's getting better, I have no idea. But some still do.

And yeah this year has sucked. I'm old enough to remember (because I'm more than 1 year old) when this entire board was in agreement than JoMo had destroyed our culture and 2020 would be a loss because of it. Flash forward to 2020 and the new coach has to clear out the culture issues, and people are shocked, shocked!, that the product on the field isn't good.

Fact is Leach has fixed the culture, we have a lot of young talent that's improved drastically, and we've got Leach guys coming in. Let's not forget Leach has never been a quick fix guy, so this isn't out of the norm.

Things are looking up, it's a shame some of y'all are too stubborn to admit it/too impatient to give Leach a pass for this year
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 11-28-2020 at 10:26 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphadog View Post
    We may not win another game in while Leach is coach here but a high school offensive coordinator saying a SEC head coach sucks is funny to me. If only you would have gotten that GA gig you would be the one we are criticizing on this board tonight.
    C34 and I have butted heads too many times to count, but it's dumb to be critical of him bc he's a HS coach. Hell, that makes him more qualified than almost all of us here to critique a coach

vCash
    C34 and I have butted heads too many times to count, but it's dumb to be critical of him bc he's a HS coach. Hell, that makes him more qualified than almost all of us here to critique a coach
    He loses all credibility when he calls Mike Leach, who's had more success than fat boy would ever dream of, a "shit coach". C34 is pathetic
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    He loses all credibility when he calls Mike Leach, who's had more success than fat boy would ever dream of, a "shit coach". C34 is pathetic
    this right here is correct. He just inferred that if he had taken the GA gig that he would be a successful D1 coach like Leach. To that I call bullshit

vCash
    Mullen took over a team that wasn't good at all, and played one of the toughest schedules in the country. Every state fan was excited about mullen. There was zero concern over Dan his first season
    I'm pretty sure this years schedule would be plenty tougher than the one Dan had in '09 then you throw in covid and our team dropping like flies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphadog View Post
    And not just a random SEC HC, an SEC HC that has 141 P5 wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    yeahhhhh- posters dont want this kind of honesty tonight
    Didn't you say this defense was going to be Sirmon level bad?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Here's the deal. A few weeks ago, I was convinced this offense would never work in the SEC. I still think that, but I think if he adapts, it has a chance. Leach's pass to run ratio seems to be moving heavier towards pass as his career goes on. That's not going to work. At Texas Tech, he ran the ball much more, and I think he needs to move back to that. I know he's not gonna abandon the air raid. I'm not advocating for him to. But he's got to establish a better running game than he has now. This simple draw BS isn't enough. He needs more pre-snap movement, sweeps, counters, maybe a read option. Those are easy 8 yard gains that he's giving up on in favor of check down passes. The defense isn't having to think. A thinking defense is a slow defense.

Right now, this offense will put up enough points to beat bad teams. If you have a negative play, the drive is toast. If you have to move with a sense of urgency, you're toast. If you have a 3rd or 4th and short, you're limited on what you can do because you literally have two running plays. It doesn't make sense. Leach can keep doing this and he'll win 4-5 games a year and will retire to Key West in 2 more years. Or he can adapt, add creativity and a better running game, and bump our ceiling to 7-8 wins. It's up to him.
    Sounds a lot like Dan Mullen's offense most of the time he was here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    I'm pretty sure this years schedule would be plenty tougher than the one Dan had in '09 then you throw in covid and our team dropping like flies.
    In 2009, we celebrated moral victories against the likes of #17 LSU. Now we beating our chest for only losing to OM by 7.

vCash
    I respect C34 and usually always enjoy reading his takes but it's clear here that he and plenty others on this board have an ax to grind with Leach. I really don't think they want him to succeed. Regardless of how our record is at the end of the year this year has been the most difficult year in the history of MSU football and it's much more difficult for us than probably any other D1 team I know of with covid, culture, opt-outs, tap outs combined. I don't always agree that moral victories are good but in this case I'm very happy with what I see. I believe that 3 years from now barring any more virus issues that we will be very good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    I respect C34 and usually always enjoy reading his takes but it's clear here that he and plenty other on this board have an ax to grind with Leach. I really don't think they want him to succeed. Regardless of how our record is at the end of the year this year has been the most difficult year in the history of MSU football and it's much more difficult for us than probably any other D1 team I know of with covid, culture, opt-outs, tap outs combined. I don't always agree that moral victories are good but in this case I'm very happy with what I see. I believe that 3 years from now barring any more virus issues that we will be very good.
    Yay, we hung with OM. When did they pass us as a program?