Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: We Should've Never Fired Stansbury

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Some MSU fans have a hard time letting go. Doesn't mean Stansbury wasn't bad. It just means that like most people it was time for him to move on.

If you're a coach at MSU and you win the SEC you're probably going to be set for life in the eyes of some of our fans and that's not a good thing because the reality is coaches in sports have a shelf life and then it's time to move on. Same with any coach at any level basically.
    Stans was on our staff for basically everything we have ever done in basketball other than with Babe. Stansbury was absolutely not "bad". Good grief you stated that like it was absolutely true. It is anything but true. How many coaches at MSU have won a major (football, men's basketball, and baseball) at MSU? In my lifetime it's Babe (barely), Stans, and three baseball guys. Excuse me if I think it's a big deal. Your statement is absolutely asinine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Jesus.

Firing Stans didn't destroy our program. Hiring Rick Ray did that job.

If anything, we waited too long to get rid of Stans. I wish we would've encouraged him to take that Clemson job when he was courted.
    The reason we had to hire a Rick Ray was we fired Stans like we did. That is the unvarnished truth. I don't have much inside info at MSU but I absolutely did back then. It was a screw up that haunts us to this day in multiple sports. It is on Allyn McKeen levels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    The reason we had to hire a Rick Ray was we fired Stans like we did. That is the unvarnished truth. I don't have much inside info at MSU but I absolutely did back then. It was a screw up that haunts us to this day in multiple sports. It is on Allyn McKeen levels.
    Well, you're wrong but carry on. Stans got his ass in some things. He was warned and given every chance in the world to correct it. Then he lost control of the program. Stans is still one of the least respected coaches in the country. He's likely done at WKY soon too.

vCash
    "Like we did"? How so?

We fired/asked him to step down at the end of several tumultuous underachieving seasons with various embarrassments along the way. He was let go at the end of the season, too, not in the middle, 3 games in, or any other time that would've put us behind the 8-ball in terms of conducting a legitimate coaching search to find his replacement. The problem was we hired Rick Ray.

Also, all the players (all contributors, too) that Ray had to kick off the team when he arrived just shows how rotten to the core we were at the end of Stans' tenure.

vCash
    No, we could?ve hired Kermit instead of Ray. That is on strickland

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Stands is 0-4 at making the NCAA Tourney at Western Kentucky. He misses it again this season and he may be available for hire.
    I don't think a program like Western Kentucky is going to fire a guy for this record. It's not his fault CUSA is a 1-bid league these days.

2016-17 Western Kentucky 15-17 9-9 7th
    2017-18 Western Kentucky 27-11 14-4 3rd NIT Semifinal
    2018-19 Western Kentucky 20-14 11-7 2nd
    2019-20 Western Kentucky 20-10 13-5 2nd Pandemic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I don't think a program like Western Kentucky is going to fire a guy for this record. It's not his fault CUSA is a 1-bid league these days.

2016-17 Western Kentucky 15-17 9-9 7th
    2017-18 Western Kentucky 27-11 14-4 3rd NIT Semifinal
    2018-19 Western Kentucky 20-14 11-7 2nd
    2019-20 Western Kentucky 20-10 13-5 2nd Pandemic
    They fired the coach before Stands when he was 90-63 as HC and had 2 NCAA's in 5 seasons. WK expects to make the NCAA's
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    They fired the coach before Stands when he was 90-63 as HC and had 2 NCAA's in 5 seasons. WK expects to make the NCAA's
    Was about to ask what their recent history was, so thanks.

vCash
    A coach nearing his 20th season as The HC and has never made the sweet 16...
    That is some elite company...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Was about to ask what their recent history was, so thanks.
    98-03- Dennis Felton had them in the NCAA's 3 times then left for a bigger job
    04-08- Darrin Horn- NCAA Sweet 16 and left for a bigger job
    09-12- Ken Macdonald had 1 NCAA berth in 4 years and was pushed out with 67-48 record
    12-16- Ray Harper had 2 NCAA's in 5 years- pushed out at 90-63 for going 18-16 his last season
    17- Present- Stands with no NCAA appearances. If Stands misses the NCAA Tourney this year- he will be their 1st coach of the modern era not to make the NCAA's within 5 years of coaching there
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Until the majority of our fans can move past the 14 years of mediocrity that was the Stan’s years , It doesn’t matter who the head coach is here..

This isn’t a highly sought after job, and it never has been.... I’m still shocked we convinced a multi final four coach to come here from all the way cross country and start a total rebuild
    Where not only does he have to bring talent to a program that has NEVER put kids in the league but he has to convince them to play in front of half empty arena.. and don’t give me the the “ win and we will show up” bullshit.. last years team finishes 4th in the league and we were never even close to a full house for any game

If most of you want CBH gone, then thats fine .. just be careful what you wish for..
    A program with zero history .. won’t attract many top or hot guys
    A coach “ who of we did fire” with the pedigree of CBH wont be easy to sell to the next guy for his job stability
    The out dated Hump
    Zero fan support
    And most of all look who will be doing the hiring

vCash
    What Stansbury accomplished during his time on our coaching staff becomes more amazing as the years go by. Some of you have come to that realization over the years while others just aren't capable of grasping that concept. Kinda like leading a horse to water. We just aren't a men's basketball school. It's apparent that it is not a priority. Carry on

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Until the majority of our fans can move past the 14 years of mediocrity that was the Stan’s years , It doesn’t matter who the head coach is here..

This isn’t a highly sought after job, and it never has been.... I’m still shocked we convinced a multi final four coach to come here from all the way cross country and start a total rebuild
    Where not only does he have to bring talent to a program that has NEVER put kids in the league but he has to convince them to play in front of half empty arena.. and don’t give me the the “ win and we will show up” bullshit.. last years team finishes 4th in the league and we were never even close to a full house for any game

If most of you want CBH gone, then thats fine .. just be careful what you wish for..
    A program with zero history .. won’t attract many top or hot guys
    A coach “ who of we did fire” with the pedigree of CBH wont be easy to sell to the next guy for his job stability
    The out dated Hump
    Zero fan support
    And most of all look who will be doing the hiring
    Ouch.

vCash
    True to form, WKY blew a 10 point second half lead, lol. I'm sure he was twirling his right index finger in the air the whole time, though.**

vCash
    Who cares! It is men?s basketball. Our program is historically in the bottom 1/3 of a historically Top Heavy League.

Probably the only so-called major sport in the SEC where the Baseball program carries it financially.