Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Current Status of MSU Football As I See It

vCash

The Current Status of MSU Football As I See It

- Started 14 FR & SO against UGA
    - Held UGA to their lowest rushing total in 90 years
    - Every point MSU scored was by a FR (Except Ruiz's FGs)
    - True FR QB with 4 more years to play that has complete over 80% of his passes in his 1st two starts.
    - A new culture of accountability & toughness.
    - A Pac 12 & Big 12 coach of the year at the helm for the next decade.

Then we have this quote by Kirby Smart in the post game about his defensive adjustments.

"Really zero. It's patience, like I said. We didn't do anything different. We didn't do anything different from one half to the other. A lot of people think that but if anything we might have rushed four a couple more times but the success rate on these guys when you rush four or five really goes down. They get the ball out so quick. Anybody that played man-to-man with them they torched them. That's what you saw in the LSU game, where they really took advantage of teams playing man-to-man. We played man a couple snaps but one of the snaps we played was a big touchdown. It's like 'Golly, any time you go to change it, bam they hit you.' It's just not worth it. They got a good quarterback. They got a good system. They'll be a force to be reckoned with if the quarterback is that accurate and people continue to play them the way we played them."

So let me get this straight.... we haven't been able to get blue bloods out of man to man defense in 4 decades. 4 decades.... and now they're scared to run it against us because "It's just not worth it"

I'm not saying that by any means we're ready to compete for the West, but the signs are there. The components of what will eventually lead to an SEC Champ competing teams are blossoming in front of our eyes.

I realize losing sucks, but focus on the the ingredients, variables, & where this is headed.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    - True FR QB with 4 more years to play that has complete over 80% of his passes in his 1st two starts.

Then we have this quote by Kirby Smart in the post game about his defensive adjustments.

"Really zero. It's patience, like I said. We didn't do anything different. We didn't do anything different from one half to the other. A lot of people think that but if anything we might have rushed four a couple more times but the success rate on these guys when you rush four or five really goes down. They get the ball out so quick. Anybody that played man-to-man with them they torched them. That's what you saw in the LSU game, where they really took advantage of teams playing man-to-man. We played man a couple snaps but one of the snaps we played was a big touchdown. It's like 'Golly, any time you go to change it, bam they hit you.' It's just not worth it. They got a good quarterback. They got a good system. They'll be a force to be reckoned with if the quarterback is that accurate and people continue to play them the way we played them."

So let me get this straight.... we haven't been able to get blue bloods out of man to man defense in 4 decades. 4 decades.... and now they're scared to run it against us because "It's just not worth it"

I'm not saying that by any means we're ready to compete for the West, but the signs are there. The components of what will eventually lead to an SEC Champ competing teams are blossoming in front of our eyes.

I realize losing sucks, but focus on the the ingredients, variables, & where this is headed.
    Good post!

vCash

It is almost like I know what I?m talking about sometimes. Like I said, all they did in the 2nd half was go more even front looks whether a true DL or a blitzing backer. We had a 2nd and 3 and ended up punting going 3 and out. That was a turning point. Their guy batted a ball down that goes for a huge play if he don?t.

Leach is a winner. The kids that are left are winners. Said it before I will say it again, if you cannot support Leach and this bunch you should go like another team. I was as mad as anyone after the UK and Arky games bc it looked like Leach was scared to move on from KJ. He was not. It is time to get on board or get out IMO.

vCash
    Those are some pretty amazing stats. And each of those freshmen has a full 4 years to play if they choose to. The Covid season is turning out to be pretty good practice for our young team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Those are some pretty amazing stats. And each of those freshmen has a full 4 years to play if they choose to. The Covid season is turning out to be pretty good practice for our young team.
    Absolutely. We're developing a new identity and core before our eyes.

vCash
    I trust the direction of our program and Mike Leach. Let's win our next whether it be this weekend or next.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hp22 View Post
    I trust the direction of our program and Mike Leach. Let's win our next whether it be this weekend or next.
    But if we don't, all this still applies.

Flags fly forever. Focus on building a program than can raise flags instead of focusing on whether we win or lose today in a game no one will remember in 2 years.

vCash
    But if we don't, all this still applies.

Flags fly forever. Focus on building a program than can raise flags instead of focusing on whether we win or lose today in a game no one will remember in 2 years.
    The results of next week have no impact on my view of the future. Neither do the results of the last month.

Let's continue to play hard and improve. That's all that matters right now. Effort and growth. But you show up to win and I'd love to see some vets go out the right way. Get the young guys busting their ass right now a taste too.

vCash
    Here's my hope. Mike Leach has basically forced SEC defenses to do one thing. Play zone. How the zone is executed will change, but for the most part, in less than one season he's dictated how defenses will have to play him.

My hope is that given a proper offseason and another year of learning the system, he will be able to effectively attack both the zone and man. He will have a QB that can diagnose what the defense is giving him and execute it quickly and efficiently.

We saw glimpses of that Saturday. We dictated things for a couple drives and took advantage of what was given to us. If we can continue to do that and take advantage of what the defense is trying to force us to do, we will be very tough to stop. And that's the point of the Leach offense. You give the defense so much to prepare for you confuse the piss out of them and take advantage of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Here's my hope. Mike Leach has basically forced SEC defenses to do one thing. Play zone. How the zone is executed will change, but for the most part, in less than one season he's dictated how defenses will have to play him.

My hope is that given a proper offseason and another year of learning the system, he will be able to effectively attack both the zone and man. He will have a QB that can diagnose what the defense is giving him and execute it quickly and efficiently.

We saw glimpses of that Saturday. We dictated things for a couple drives and took advantage of what was given to us. If we can continue to do that and take advantage of what the defense is trying to force us to do, we will be very tough to stop. And that's the point of the Leach offense. You give the defense so much to prepare for you confuse the piss out of them and take advantage of it.
    This is 100% correct.

That’s what exciting. We haven’t been able to get top level SEC defenses out of man coverage in our history and Leach has done it on 7 games.

Think about that. Think about the gravity of that and what the future will look like when our 5 year starter knows exactly what defense he’s facing every week.

All C34 has talked about for years is how new SEC offensive guys struggle with all the man to man. Well, Leach threw that right out the door.

Are we great against zone yet? No, but for goodness sakes we’ve only got to practice against one thing. My guess is we’ll be excellent against it this time next year.

vCash

Home, Hoops, et al... waiting for us to lose to OM so they can remind us how bad Joe Lee Leach is.

vCash
    agree but how good we become is based on how well we start to attack that zone. We were really patient and efficient Saturday in the first half, but it's a lot to ask college teams to put together multiple 15 plays drives multiple times a game when you are throwing it all the time.

There is so little opportunity for dynamic plays in what we're seeing so we have to find a way to thrash some of these zones for 7-10 yards a play vs. 4-5 yards a play so perhaps we can get some teams to think about getting out of the 8 man zone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    agree but how good we become is based on how well we start to attack that zone. We were really patient and efficient Saturday in the first half, but it's a lot to ask college teams to put together multiple 15 plays drives multiple times a game when you are throwing it all the time.

There is so little opportunity for dynamic plays in what we're seeing so we have to find a way to thrash some of these zones for 7-10 yards a play vs. 4-5 yards a play so perhaps we can get some teams to think about getting out of the 8 man zone.
    Once we have the right personnel at slot WR, those 4-6 yard passes will turn into more big plays. We lack the quickness at WR to make the LB or safety miss to get YAK yards. Once Leach gets his WRs in here, that'll change.

I completely agree with what you're saying right now. Austin Williams, Osiris, Gardner, etc lack the quickness & agility to make that first guy miss occasionally. Once we have WRs that can do that, it's going to be a problem

Right now the zone offense is throw a 4 yard pass, turn around, & get tackled by a LB or safety. Once we have the right WRs, it'll be: catch a 4 yard pass, turn around & juke 1 guy, then turn up field for another 10 yards. We don't have the juke button yet
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 11-24-2020 at 03:34 PM.

vCash
    If we are hanging the hopes of the future of our offense on "breaking tackles" we are going to be severely disappointed
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    If we are hanging the hopes of the future of our offense on "breaking tackles" we are going to be severely disappointed
    I have a feeling you’ll find a way to be disappointed with our offense no matter what.....lol

Only way you’d approve of it or say something optimistic is if you ran it yourself LOL.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Nobody is hanging their hopes on that, but there will be more missed tackles when we have better players

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    I have a feeling you’ll find a way to be disappointed with our offense no matter what.....lol

Only way you’d approve of it or say something optimistic is if you ran it yourself LOL.
    Just score. We are Croom at 17.4 per game. 13th in the SEC

vCash
    Nobody is hanging their hopes on that, but there will be more missed tackles when we have better players
    Thats literally what you posted- the offense will be better because we will break tackles or make people miss. Thats a real stretch in the SEC. You are hoping we will have better players. Thats not a given by any stretch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    It is almost like I know what I?m talking about sometimes. Like I said, all they did in the 2nd half was go more even front looks whether a true DL or a blitzing backer. We had a 2nd and 3 and ended up punting going 3 and out. That was a turning point. Their guy batted a ball down that goes for a huge play if he don?t.

Leach is a winner. The kids that are left are winners. Said it before I will say it again, if you cannot support Leach and this bunch you should go like another team. I was as mad as anyone after the UK and Arky games bc it looked like Leach was scared to move on from KJ. He was not. It is time to get on board or get out IMO.
    It is ok to support a team while at the same time question leadership. I fully support our team, but you and I both know that Leech is learning some things the hard way in this league. He will have to make adjustments to have CONSISTENT success. Not many people are wanting the guy fired...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    It is ok to support a team while at the same time question leadership. I fully support our team, but you and I both know that Leech is learning some things the hard way in this league. He will have to make adjustments to have CONSISTENT success. Not many people are wanting the guy fired...
    Good post. To act like Leach hasnt been humbled some this season is being disingenuous