Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last night was a huge step in the right direction

vCash

Last night was a huge step in the right direction

With that said, I wanna know what happened at the 2:28 mark in the 3rd quarter. Here's stats pre-2:28 3rd and after for us...

Pre-2:28 3rd:
    48 plays
    302 yards
    6.3 yds/play
    17 first downs

After 2:28 3rd:
    18 plays
    52 yards
    2.9 yds/play
    3 first downs (1 was the PF penalty by UGA)

So we essentially earned 2 first downs on our last 4 offensive possessions.

So football guys here that can spot these things, what did Georgia do at 2:28 in the 3rd? Seems to me the only difference was they stopped giving a big cushion in their zone underneath.

vCash
    Simply, our depth caught up with us. We were gassed, or beginning to wear down.

vCash
    Our OL really started to struggle at that point.

I'm not sure if UGA did anything different or if they just had some older DL step up. Either way, Will went from sitting comfortably in the pocket to getting rushed every play.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by STATEBALLIN View Post
    Simply, our depth caught up with us. We were gassed, or beginning to wear down.
    Do you need depth on the OL if no one gets hurt though? Do OL get tired in a game to the point where they need to come out?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Our OL really started to struggle at that point.

I'm not sure if UGA did anything different or if they just had some older DL step up. Either way, Will went from sitting comfortably in the pocket to getting rushed every play.
    Idk, seems early we were getting rid of ball very quickly so they couldn't get to will in time. Then all-the-sudden, will was holding the ball, and when he did get rid of it quickly, they were hitting our receivers immediately on those check downs. Seems they just took away those easy quick hitters for 6-7 yards

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Idk, seems early we were getting rid of ball very quickly so they couldn't get to will in time. Then all-the-sudden, will was holding the ball, and when he did get rid of it quickly, they were hitting our receivers immediately on those check downs. Seems they just took away those easy quick hitters for 6-7 yards
    I do think UGA started jumping routes at that point. I think Kirby just told the defense to start jumping routes in hopes that it would create some hesitation & they could get to the QB.

I remember commenting on how UGA was jumping routes. Wouldn't hurt if we started to throw in some pump fakes early in the game to create some fear in the defense

vCash
    They stopped playing a softer zone, moved it up, and started jumping our routes. That's why our check down passes that were getting 7-8 yards earlier in the game only got 3 yards towards the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    They stopped playing a softer zone, moved it up, and started jumping our routes. That's why our check down passes that were getting 7-8 yards earlier in the game only got 3 yards towards the end.
    I wonder what our counter is to this?

vCash
    Top defensive talent in the nation happened

vCash
    Adjust our routes accordingly. Get behind the first line of the zone, find the opening, and sit in it. Only problem with that is we'll have to pass block longer.

vCash
    Attack with the deeper routes. Squeezing the zone which is what they did puts defensive players in one on one situations. Find it and exploit it.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Adjust our routes accordingly. Get behind the first line of the zone, find the opening, and sit in it. Only problem with that is we'll have to pass block longer.
    This.

Smart said postgame that they didn?t change anything schematically, but it did look like their guys started jumping on the underneath stuff and LBs didn?t drop as much.

The counter as you said is to get behind them and attack the space between the LBs and safeties (the 10-20 yard range). The issue is their DL is more talented, more experienced, and has more depth than our OL, and it showed the last 3-4 drives. We really didn?t have time to run anything that developed that long.

Fortunately nobody else on our schedule has near the front that UGA does.

vCash
    We had several low snaps that threw off timing late in the game too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We had several low snaps that threw off timing late in the game too.
    Yes, I noticed that as well...I do wish Rogers would take the 5 yards if he has it and run with it. We looked better in the run game last night too....We were very close to beating that team and a few plays here or there, and we win. That phantom PI set them up for their first TD....

vCash
    Do you need depth on the OL if no one gets hurt though? Do OL get tired in a game to the point where they need to come out?
    You need depth for all positions (including your punter as we have seen). So the answer is yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolfer View Post
    Yes, I noticed that as well...I do wish Rogers would take the 5 yards if he has it and run with it. We looked better in the run game last night too....We were very close to beating that team and a few plays here or there, and we win. That phantom PI set them up for their first TD....

Seems like that phantom PI made the trip from Birmingham to Athens.

vCash
    I do think UGA started jumping routes at that point. I think Kirby just told the defense to start jumping routes in hopes that it would create some hesitation & they could get to the QB.

I remember commenting on how UGA was jumping routes. Wouldn't hurt if we started to throw in some pump fakes early in the game to create some fear in the defense
    Depth.

WR get slower as they get tired. Slower means not as much separation or YAC. That changes a 2nd and 5 to 2nd and 7: 3rd and 2 to 3rd and 5. It's more time needed to get open.

Combine that with UGA taking away the underneath and forcing deeper routes, which means more running.

It's why Leach likes to have 8-12 game ready WR.

vCash
    More so our D was wearing down. We had less opportunities on offense I felt like. But you could definitely tell, IMO, UGA played with a bit more urgency in the 4th.

Regardless, I couldn?t have been happier with that effort.

Corner. Turned.

LEGGO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Attack with the deeper routes. Squeezing the zone which is what they did puts defensive players in one on one situations. Find it and exploit it.
    This.

vCash
    To me it seemed like after that near interception will threw he got hesitant. It seemed like that may have made him play a little tighter