Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Two players away from forfeit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Regardless of what people want to say what's happening with the football program is not normal. Excluding Covid-19 this is uncanny. Parents will not allow their kids to come to state if they have equal options. The word is growing and spreading.
    A lot of parents, sure. But I think that's kind of the point. We'll see how it works and if we can get back to being the 7-5 program dan had us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    That's the worst thing for recruiting. Word is getting out about how bad it is.
    Interesting tidbit you have there-thanks for sharing.

I live in Starkville. Interact w folks in the community and also on campus staff daily -a lot of them people who are involved with athletics ( both admin and coaches).... and I had no clue how bad it was. Thank the Internet and it?s anonymous sources for getting this word out.

vCash
    Where are they?
    Well, the first place I would look if I were you would be here.

https://247sports.com/college/missis...tball/Commits/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think it's close to a mathematical certainty that we go 12-0 and play in the sec champ year 2. Saban did it
    That's not the point though. It's very common for coaches to take a year or two to get their program going.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    We hired a coach that was a TOTAL non fit for our current roster and everything we had been for over a decade. That was absolutely certain to totally destroy the program. It had to be a deliberate choice on whoever made the decision. If that wasn't the deliberate choice whoever made the decision should have someone granted power of attorney over their affairs. If it was deliberate, whoever it was made a HUGE longshot bet that Leach could rebuild it. If it doesn't work, and we are going to find out because we are stuck with him for a few years, it goes without saying that whoever did it will have possibly made the worst decision in the entire history of MSU athletics. Given our history that is absolutely mind boggling.
    It was clearly not deliberate because if it was Cohen wouldn't have offered the job to Judge first. And he wouldn't have talked to Napier either if that was the case as well.

The fact of the matter is going forward based on the way the game of football is changing we're probably going to hire coaches that throw the ball at least some. Unless we go triple option and hire a service academy coach or something like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Well, the first place I would look if I were you would be here.

https://247sports.com/college/missis...tball/Commits/
    The first place you'd better look is internal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone View Post
    You need to stay off this board for awhile. It's obvious you hate Leach but your pulling Lies and hate out of your ass. Leave!
    I think he's spot on with that assessment ... and it's an opinion like everyone else here - advice: Don't come on here as a new member with 65 post and start telling other posters to leave
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    That's not the point though. It's very common for coaches to take a year or two to get their program going.
    Yeah, I was just playing around. I don't even the most optimistic posters here are predicting a leach turnaround in year 2 like saban

vCash
    It was clearly not deliberate because if it was Cohen wouldn't have offered the job to Judge first. And he wouldn't have talked to Napier either if that was the case as well.

The fact of the matter is going forward based on the way the game of football is changing we're probably going to hire coaches that throw the ball at least some. Unless we go triple option and hire a service academy coach or something like that.
    If we went triple option we just might as well give up football. Service academies have a legit reason to run it, but you think this season is bad, let's let every SEC team put 10 in the box and man cover our 2 WR (who will be even worse than what we have now) against a QB that makes Chris Relf's throwing look like a Heisman candidate.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    The first place you'd better look is internal.
    That's a rich post right there!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    Holy shit, not this again. What would you have anyone do about the current situation? We all get it. Some players don't like him, but that's the way it is right now. The way this year is playing out, I really don't care if we play. We are going to be with Leach for at least 3 years. Stop with all this doom and gloom.
    Here's the original guidance from September:

CBS Sports

SEC teams will need to have at least 53 scholarship players available, including a quarterback, seven offensive linemen and four defensive linemen, according to guidelines announced by the league on Friday. If a team can't meet the minimum requirements, it can choose to play anyway. Otherwise, its game will be rescheduled or declared a no contest.

The SEC's minimum thresholds mirror those announced by the Big 12 but with one major difference. The Big 12's 53-player minimum includes walk-on players while the SEC guidelines only includes scholarship athletes. Teams are capped at 85 scholarship players.

Schools can also request to have a game rescheduled if they determine that "there are compelling reasons why it cannot begin a contest" that are unrelated to the player minimums. The final decision on a postponing or declaring a no-contest in that situation will lie with league commissioner Greg Sankey.

It would be unprecedented for a team to fall below 53 available scholarship players during a normal season. But with COVID-19 contract-tracing protocols in place, college football teams are dealing with waves of absences from practices and games. Missouri, for example, is already expecting to be down at least 12 players for its season-opener against Alabama on Sept. 26 due to COVID-19 protocols.

Several college football games, including five scheduled for Week 3, have been canceled or postponed as teams deal with COVID-19 outbreaks or depleted depth at certain positions due to contract-tracing requirements. Charlotte had to cancel its game against North Carolina scheduled for Saturday because of depleted depth on its offensive line despite the fact that only one member of its program tested positive during Monday's round of 200 tests.

NCAA and SEC guidelines say that players who have been in contact with individuals who test positive for 15 minutes without face coverings are deemed to have been in "high-risk" contact. Those individuals are required to quarantine for 14 days. Players who test positive must sit out for 10 days and be symptom-free for three days.

Sorry meant to reply to the OP.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    We hired a coach that was a TOTAL non fit for our current roster and everything we had been for over a decade. That was absolutely certain to totally destroy the program. It had to be a deliberate choice on whoever made the decision. If that wasn't the deliberate choice whoever made the decision should have someone granted power of attorney over their affairs. If it was deliberate, whoever it was made a HUGE longshot bet that Leach could rebuild it. If it doesn't work, and we are going to find out because we are stuck with him for a few years, it goes without saying that whoever did it will have possibly made the worst decision in the entire history of MSU athletics. Given our history that is absolutely mind boggling.
    This is an accurate post. The rest of this thread is just noise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    If we went triple option we just might as well give up football. Service academies have a legit reason to run it, but you think this season is bad, let's let every SEC team put 10 in the box and man cover our 2 WR (who will be even worse than what we have now) against a QB that makes Chris Relf's throwing look like a Heisman candidate.
    That's basically what we did. Leach should be coaching at WSU, Hawaii, or SMU not an SEC program. Just like option coaches belong at the service academies not Georgia Tech.
    Last edited by HoopsDawg; 11-20-2020 at 10:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    I personally watched Mullen dress down in extreme language players, coaches, video staff, etc his first year here. Leaving because of that is an excuse and weak.
    I spoke with a former athletic academic staff member who's responsibility was to organize the football players' class schedule and keep up with their grades, etc. Hevessy told this staff member that in order for him to get his message across to these players that he HAD to start mother17ing them and stop being nice to them. He said that. So yeah, under Mullen and his staff, they weren't holding church.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by speedy1972 View Post
    I spoke with a former athletic academic staff member who's responsibility was to organize the football players' class schedule and keep up with their grades, etc. Hevessy told this staff member that in order for him to get his message across to these players that he HAD to start mother17ing them and stop being nice to them. He said that. So yeah, under Mullen and his staff, they weren't holding church.
    Yep. And Joe's practices were the complete opposite. All encouragement, no ass kicking. A former player told me after watching pre-season practice in 2018 that Joe's style was so different and soft that it was going to be a big problem. I didn't believe him at the time, but boy was he right.

vCash
    Crap huh? Ok. You and your *insiders* will see.
    1. Who said I'm an insider? I certainly haven't.
    2. Who we going to lose? A kid LSU offered? A kid that might flip to OM? I don't see it. Most of the offensive guys were recruited by Leach before he got here. They know him.