1. Byrne
    2. Stricklin
    3. Cohen
    4. Templeton

vCash
    Byrne- great AD
    Stricklin- listened to the right people enough to not embarrass himself
    Cohen- His 2nd football hire is struggling, got lucky on Lemon
    LT- This guy wanted to hire Bobby Wallace instead of Jackie Sherrill, sold our home game vs Fla for a million dollars, turned down Steve Spurrier to hire Rockey Felker, didnt even interview Rollie Massimino and gave the job to Richard Williams, and turned down Jimbo Fisher to hire Sylvester Croom. He was going to hire Raffo instead of Cohen. He literally set our program back a generation.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    LT- This guy wanted to hire Bobby Wallace instead of Jackie Sherrill, sold our home game vs Fla for a million dollars, turned down Steve Spurrier to hire Rockey Felker, didnt even interview Rollie Massimino and gave the job to Richard Williams, and turned down Jimbo Fisher to hire Sylvester Croom. He was going to hire Raffo instead of Cohen. He literally set our program back a generation.
    This stuff, along with a lot more, just boggles the mind. I mean, wtf was his strategy in these decisions? Did he really think he was doing right by MSU?

vCash
    1. Byrne

End of list

vCash
    1. Ninja

2. Stricklin
    3. Cohen

4. Templeton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    1. Ninja

2. Stricklin
    3. Cohen

4. Templeton

That's the closest of all responses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    1. Byrne

End of list
    Exactly what I was gonna post.

vCash
    First - Byrne

Last - Lonnie Tinkle

Everything in the middle depends on your perspective
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Just mind boggling. It really takes your breath away

vCash
    Byrne was fine. But he gets so much credit just Bc he followed LT. Yes he hired Mullen, it was a risk and it worked out. It could just as easily turned into moorhead. Glad it didn't. And he could say hey how are you doing. Which was big Bc LT didn't speak to the avg fan....

vCash
    Byrne is number one by far. He totally changed the trajectory of our football and baseball programs and really set the table for our success in the 2010s.

Stricklin was awesome from a marketing and facilities standpoint and is responsible for hiring Vic Schaefer, but he never had to make a football or baseball hire and the 2012 men’s basketball coaching search was a massive cluster. He did some good things but it’s impossible to overlook how our men’s basketball program totally cratered under his watch.

Cohen is a mixed bag, and his legacy will ultimately be defined by how Leach turns out. I still think I would have him behind Byrne and Stricklin but ahead of LT no matter what, though.

The less said about the LT era, the better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    Byrne is number one by far. He totally changed the trajectory of our football and baseball programs and really set the table for our success in the 2010s.

Stricklin was awesome from a marketing and facilities standpoint and is responsible for hiring Vic Schaefer, but he never had to make a football or baseball hire and the 2012 men’s basketball coaching search was a massive cluster. He did some good things but it’s impossible to overlook how our men’s basketball program totally cratered under his watch.

Cohen is a mixed bag, and his legacy will ultimately be defined by how Leach turns out. I still think I would have him behind Byrne and Stricklin but ahead of LT no matter what, though.

The less said about the LT era, the better.
    The baseball hire was a layup. He had one choice. One. It wasn't hard.... and before anyone says oh but coach polk wanted his way, so?? Cohen was in his lap. It was easy, again.

vCash
    Byrne- great AD
    Stricklin- listened to the right people enough to not embarrass himself
    Cohen- His 2nd football hire is struggling, got lucky on Lemon
    You are CLUELESS about some of this. Spurrier turned down the job. He wanted to many things and we had no money...

People forget you are comparing apples to apple seed. State had no money what so ever back in the day. Sold the Florida game for $1M... Weren't gonna win it either... The fact that Templeton help built the West Side addition with Carl Maddox & Dudy Noble back in the mid 80's was amazing. State opened up new Scott field additions and The 1st New Dudy Noble within a year of each other.. The Track Complex along with the Tennis Complex and refurbishing The Hump to make it so much better was done by Larry.

Templeton got us to a Final Four, Omaha, SEC Championship in Mbb, SEC Tournament Championships in MBB, Nationally ranked Tennis teams ect.

I know for a fact about the Spurrier hire that was loss because I was in the building... Furthermore, Emory Bellard gave me a piece of paper and said Partna.. could you please get this out and I read it to all the radio & TV stations by live & recorded...

1. Larry Templeton
    For the amount of Money State had back them...LT always had us in black... Never in red..

2. A&M's AD's son Byrne. He wasn't going to fail because of the new tv sponsorship the SEC came up with.. but would not stay long..

3. The Male Cheerleader from Jackson Prep... A weak as punk from day 1 that had a Sports Information background and was pathetic at building a group to get our fundraising up... He was weak as water.. especially in his girly jackson prep cheer uniform.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reunion Dog View Post
    You are CLUELESS about some of this. Spurrier turned down the job. He wanted to many things and we had no money...

People forget you are comparing apples to apple seed. State had no money what so ever back in the day. Sold the Florida game for $1M... Weren't gonna win it either... The fact that Templeton help built the West Side addition with Carl Maddox & Dudy Noble back in the mid 80's was amazing. State opened up new Scott field additions and The 1st New Dudy Noble within a year of each other.. The Track Complex along with the Tennis Complex and refurbishing The Hump to make it so much better was done by Larry.

Templeton got us to a Final Four, Omaha, SEC Championship in Mbb, SEC Tournament Championships in MBB, Nationally ranked Tennis teams ect.

I know for a fact about the Spurrier hire that was loss because I was in the building... Furthermore, Emory Bellard gave me a piece of paper and said Partna.. could you please get this out and I read it to all the radio & TV stations by live & recorded...

1. Larry Templeton
    For the amount of Money State had back them...LT always had us in black... Never in red..

2. A&M's AD's son Byrne. He wasn't going to fail because of the new tv sponsorship the SEC came up with.. but would not stay long..

3. The Male Cheerleader from Jackson Prep... A weak as punk from day 1 that had a Sports Information background and was pathetic at building a group to get our fundraising up... He was weak as water.. especially in his girly jackson prep cheer uniform.
    It was LT's job to raise money so our lack of money that partly on him. He was the worst AD and just a pure pompous ass. He never created an excitement around the programs, made cheap facility upgrades when he eventually made some but hey he was in the BLACK!! Cohen is LT part two. It was a true shit show when he LT was here and is again with Cohen. Hopefully we don't let it go too long.

1a. Doc Foglesong - he had stones.

1b. Byrne - changed the trajectory of our athletic department. Cleaned house in our AD. Spent a lot of time and money to create a true excitement surrounding all programs which makes people want to give. He changed the national perspective of our program from a poor, boring program to the cool, exciting program in a short period. He created the Hail State brand which took off nationwide. He surrounded himself with people who were really good at their jobs and let them work. He took time to listen to the common man as much as he did to the multi million dollar donors. The only bad thing I can say about him is he screwed up basketball seating.

2. Stricklin - great at marketing and played a big part in Bynre's success in marketing. He was good at identifying and building/renovating first class facilities. He really screwed up the men's basketball hire with Ray. He's still head and shoulders above LT and Cohen. We could've done better than stricklin but we have certainly done worse now.

3. The templeton troughs.

4a. Cohen - killed the excitement of the program. Doesn't spend money on marketing....back to the days of LT. Can't get along with anyone. Micromanager. Made our department a joke again. Running off all of our AD people that Byrne and Stricklin had hired. He just built an indoor tennis facility that has corrugated metal siding that's a backdrop to our football practice fields....but we saved some money LT! This won't end pretty. It's only going to get worse.

4b. LT - blah

vCash

1. Larry Templeton

Holy mother of god did I just read LT was our best AD over Greg Bryne? Lmao I never thought I’d see that.

vCash
    Byrne, Stricklin, Cohen/Templeton (tie)

vCash

1. Larry Templeton

If you took over an athletic department & sat on your ass without doing anything for 10 years, some good things would actually happen. Same thing with the presidency or any other management job. The odds of it ALL being bad is very very low.

Thus, evaluating these guys must be done with how well they maximized the athletic department vs just listing the good things that happened.

It's true that Lonnie likely gets more blame than he deserves & certainly had different job than the people that followed him due to money, but he was misled so often that there is just no way he isn't last on this list.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    The baseball hire was a layup. He had one choice. One. It wasn't hard.... and before anyone says oh but coach polk wanted his way, so?? Cohen was in his lap. It was easy, again.
    Yes, hiring Cohen from Kentucky was a no-brainer, but you'd be surprised how many schools screw up situations like that (we ourselves are not immune).