Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: All the talk about needing better WR, but what about RB?

vCash
    It's going to be hard to recruit RB's going forward. RB's want the ball- not 5 carries and 8 checkdown passes
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Kudos to you - this is dead on. Kylins talent was overblown by so many. Josh Robinson was better by a mile and he sure ain't doing much in the league
    I think the Robinson had NFL potential but they **** up like everyone else. I'm still pissed we didn't get his senior year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    We do if they keep getting killed as soon as they catch the ball on screens...
    Well if you dont expect the offense to improve at all, then you're right.

vCash
    Washington State had Max Borghi a 5?10? 195 lb running back that was on the Doak Walker watch list this season that had 1400 all purpose yards and 16 TD?s last season...so Leach can find a RB...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Did you smoke a bowl at lunch? Kylin is (was?) one of the best RBs in college football, I have no idea of his NFL potential though. He broke a ton of tackles and made a lot of people miss. I'm not implying he broke a bunch of 60 years runs, but he turned a lot of 3 yard runs into 8 yard gains. Our current bunch turns 8 yard plays into 3 yard gains by going down easily from a shoestring tackle. Our current RBs don't seem to have his instincts (that he displayed early on), hopefully next year will be better.

I'd be glad to have Vick, Lardarus, ATrain, the Bowling Ball, Boobie, JJ, Michael Haddix, Michael Davis, Kevin Bowie, Keefer McGee (RIP), and many others. We've been spoiled at the RB position.
    Kylin wasn't the best running back in this conference or division. Najee Harris, Jerrion Ealy, Kevin Harris, Zamir White, Isaiah Spiller, Eric Gray....I'd take any of those players over Hill. Hell I'd take Snoop Conner over him too. Kylin isn't special. It's not hard to see. He's a solid college RB. But he's not irreplaceable and there's a lot of RBs I'd take over him. And the number one reason I'd take any of those players over him....ATTITUDE. Those guys run hard no matter the situation. Kylin runs hard when it's convenient for Kylin.

And no, I'm not smoking a bowl.....although to get through this season I've needed one a few times.
    Last edited by StarkVegasSteve; 11-18-2020 at 07:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Activated Alpha View Post
    Give me Aeris Williams all day long. Over the past 15 years he has been one of the most underrated backs. Hell, if we had 2017 Aeris on our 2014 team we probably beat Alabama and Ole Miss
    I liked AW a lot too. Since AD, I think my favorite is Vic Ballard.

Back to topic, our backs are just fine for what Leach does. Leach ain't getting no backs like MSU is used to as long as he is here, ain't what he wants. No back like that wants to come here either for a team that passes 75 times a game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    It's going to be hard to recruit RB's going forward. RB's want the ball- not 5 carries and 8 checkdown passes
    Exactly, just posted same thing. Not happening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    It's really not a far drop at all. Kylin is a rotation guy in the NFL at best. He's never going to be a feature back. He doesn't have the breakaway speed or consistency(see his record number of tap outs). I can count on one hand the amount of times he had a breakaway touchdown in his 3+ years. All that jumping doesn't get you anywhere in the NFL except on the bench or the IR. If these guys had a line who could block or were able to get 1 on 1 matchups they'd be just about the same as Kylin. And I'm not trying to knock Kylin because he's a good RB, but give me a Vick Ballard or a Ladarius Perkins any day of the week over a Kylin Hill. Marks will surpass Hill before his time at MSU is done.
    Right. I said before that aside from the Shumpert/Holloway era I'd rather have every starting back and many of our backups (Ducre, Griffin recently off the top of my head) from the past 26 or more years over Hill any day.

We've had Aeris Williams, Josh Robinson, Perkins, Ballard, Dixon, Norwood, Dicenzo Miller, James Johnson, Keffer McGee. Give me any one of those over Hill any day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Washington State had Max Borghi a 5?10? 195 lb running back that was on the Doak Walker watch list this season that had 1400 all purpose yards and 16 TD?s last season...so Leach can find a RB...
    If he liked Leach, we should try to get him to grad transfer in. He would theoretically have 2 more seasons to play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Right. I said before that aside from the Shumpert/Holloway era I'd rather have every starting back and many of our backups (Ducre, Griffin recently off the top of my head) from the past 26 or more years over Hill any day.

We've had Aeris Williams, Josh Robinson, Perkins, Ballard, Dixon, Norwood, Dicenzo Miller, James Johnson, Keffer McGee. Give me any one of those over Hill any day.
    Agree with that list better than Hill. Boy we have had some great RB over the years. A few other older ones - Haddix, Roberts, Davis, Bouie,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    If he liked Leach, we should try to get him to grad transfer in. He would theoretically have 2 more seasons to play.
    Yea I was hoping we'd be in play for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Did you smoke a bowl at lunch? Kylin is (was?) one of the best RBs in college football, I have no idea of his NFL potential though. He broke a ton of tackles and made a lot of people miss. I'm not implying he broke a bunch of 60 years runs, but he turned a lot of 3 yard runs into 8 yard gains. Our current bunch turns 8 yard plays into 3 yard gains by going down easily from a shoestring tackle. Our current RBs don't seem to have his instincts (that he displayed early on), hopefully next year will be better.

I'd be glad to have Vick, Lardarus, ATrain, the Bowling Ball, Boobie, JJ, Michael Haddix, Michael Davis, Kevin Bowie, Keefer McGee (RIP), and many others. We've been spoiled at the RB position.
    Hill disappeared in the big games. He racked up the majority of his yardage vs inferior competition. Maybe I'm being overly harsh as well because I've really grown to despise him for tap outs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Kylin wasn't the best running back in this conference or division. Najee Harris, Jerrion Ealy, Kevin Harris, Zamir White, Isaiah Spiller, Eric Gray....I'd take any of those players over Hill. Hell I'd take Snoop Conner over him too. Kylin isn't special. It's not hard to see. He's a solid college RB. But he's not irreplaceable and there's a lot of RBs I'd take over him. And the number one reason I'd take any of those players over him....ATTITUDE. Those guys run hard no matter the situation. Kylin runs hard when it's convenient for Kylin.

And no, I'm not smoking a bowl.....although to get through this season I've needed one a few times.
    I think there is a little recency bias in your analysis. I checked two rankings of RBs going into the 2020 season, he was rated number 9 by 24/7 and 6 by Athlon, that's for the nation, not the SEC. I don't like what he did either, but to argue he was not a top RB in college football (going into 2020) is crazy talk.

vCash
    I think we can find a RB that wants to play in the SEC and close to home. Power backs aren’t in as much demand these days and I’m talking about finding a guy that just proves he can move a pile and dig out some pain while having decent hands.

Ballard and Robinson weren’t 4/5 star players. There are lots of guys that can be excellent college backs without the extra skills to be NFL guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Ballard and Robinson weren’t 4/5 star players. There are lots of guys that can be excellent college backs without the extra skills to be NFL guys.
    They were both 4 star talents though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Hill disappeared in the big games. He racked up the majority of his yardage vs inferior competition. Maybe I'm being overly harsh as well because I've really grown to despise him for tap outs.
    he also disappeared for the season .... the Ultimate Tap-Out
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Kylin was talented..... But Marks will surpass him (if he doesn't transfer out). Marks has better speed..... Faster cut..... And a lot better vision. Hill was great in the open field..... But bounced the ball out too much.

Dillon Johnson will be good too. Dude hit a growth spurt in the spring and I wouldn't doubt him being 6 foot 220 by next season. The futures is bright for our rbs. Let's just keep them on the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    Kylin was talented..... But Marks will surpass him (if he doesn't transfer out). Marks has better speed..... Faster cut..... And a lot better vision. Hill was great in the open field..... But bounced the ball out too much.

Dillon Johnson will be good too. Dude hit a growth spurt in the spring and I wouldn't doubt him being 6 foot 220 by next season. The futures is bright for our rbs. Let's just keep them on the team.
    Why would Marks transfer out?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Why would Marks transfer out?
    b/c he might not want to play in this offense. This is not what he signed up for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    They were both 4 star talents though.
    Don't let facts get in the way.