Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Unsustainable Part of Ole Miss' Offense

vCash

The Unsustainable Part of Ole Miss' Offense

There's no doubt that Kiffin's offense is rolling & Corral looks like the a future high round draft pick after 2021. However, if you're looking for where things could so sideways with their offense, I think this is where you have to look. It also speaks to the incredibly high level that Corral is playing at.

Ole Miss was 4-4 on 4th down conversions vs South Carolina. Is that a sustainable thing?

Throw out the triple option teams that are constantly in 4th & 1 & Ole Miss is converting 4th downs at an absolute unheard of level.

CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    At this point, Kiffin has shown me and I think most rational football fans that he can score points no matter what you give him.

Arguing that his success is because they attempt a bunch of 4th downs is just silly. Lets remember - Corral barely played last year. He was about to transfer. There was a so called QB competition between him and Plumlee (How in the world has he not transferred yet).

I think focusing on what they are doing is a waste of time, they will be able to score points for a while. We have to figure out a way to score some ourselves, because there is no dispute that we have a clear talent advantage on defense right now. That may not be the case in 2-3 years.

If we can score the ball - the egg bowl will be a lot closer than people think. The problem is that we have to figure out how to score.

vCash
    SC defense was decimated going into the game. Then they had guys go out during the game. I am pretty sure that was some of the issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    At this point, Kiffin has shown me and I think most rational football fans that he can score points no matter what you give him.

Arguing that his success is because they attempt a bunch of 4th downs is just silly. Lets remember - Corral barely played last year. He was about to transfer. There was a so called QB competition between him and Plumlee (How in the world has he not transferred yet).

I think focusing on what they are doing is a waste of time, they will be able to score points for a while. We have to figure out a way to score some ourselves, because there is no dispute that we have a clear talent advantage on defense right now. That may not be the case in 2-3 years.

If we can score the ball - the egg bowl will be a lot closer than people think. The problem is that we have to figure out how to score.
    I'm not saying Kiffin isn't a hell of an offensive coach. I'm just saying that I'd be on regression from where they are now, not them getting better on offense.

They are performing well above the expected on 4th down & that is keeping drives alive that likely should've ended.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post

I am way more worried about our offense against them. It might actually make their defense look decent. However I am not worried about defense. They are well coached, discipline and the defensive coaching staff is way above average. They will have a plan. Now they can't help the offensive turnovers. If Leach will line up and run at them we will score points and open up the passing game. I don't see that happening..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    SC defense was decimated going into the game. Then they had guys go out during the game. I am pretty sure that was some of the issue.
    there were still 4 drives though here they performed well on the 1st three downs. I also want to say that many of those 4th down conversions were like 4th & 5+.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I am way more worried about our offense against them. It might actually make their defense look decent. However I am not worried about defense. They are well coached, discipline and the defensive coaching staff is way above average. They will have a plan. Now they can't help the offensive turnovers.
    This isn't about us vs them or the Egg Bowl. I'm just saying that there are some outliers in there offense that I'd guess aren't sustainable.

vCash
    Gun scared lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This isn't about us vs them or the Egg Bowl. I'm just saying that there are some outliers in there offense that I'd guess aren't sustainable.
    In less than two weeks it will be about the egg bowl. Unreal that the egg bowl will be the 8th game of the season and not the 12th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Gun scared lol
    Yeah I am. We all should be.

I was just looking to see what could go wrong for them. Their 4th down conversion % is changing the games

vCash
    Yeah, we can seek to justify why their success won’t be sustained and on and on, but the truth is Kiffin is up there with Mullen, Sarkisian, Day, and others as one of the top offensive minds in football. As State fans we better hope that he can’t recruit the talent he has on the field now. Or that he leaves soon.

vCash
    At this point I’m saying Kiffin is a superior coach to Leach. We got bamboozled. Again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    At this point I’m saying Kiffin is a superior coach to Leach. We got bamboozled. Again.
    Just curious, but why would you make that statement in a pandemic year when Leach's resume says he's the better coach?

Does any part of you think your statement is a little premature?

vCash
    Just curious, but why would you make that statement in a pandemic year when Leach's resume says he's the better coach?

I look at results in the field. They are really the only results that matter. History is the past.

ETA: everyone is dealing with the pandemic not just State. We put 200 yards up against Vanderbilt. Leach is toast in the SEC unless he adapts...which he won’t.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I look at results in the field.
    Yeah, but don't you think that's a pretty flawed process in a pandemic year with no Spring practice & vastly different offensive skill talent?

You may be right in the long run, but I just think anyone making this statement right now really isn't seeing the big picture.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash

Not sure you could argue lane or leach is better, either way.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah, but don't you think that's a pretty flawed process in a pandemic year with no Spring practice & vastly different offensive skill talent?

You may be right in the long run, but I just think anyone making this statement right now really isn't seeing the big picture.
    No. He didnt have practices either
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    No. He didnt have practices either
    But he also didn't have near the transition we did from a scheme standpoint.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, I just think it's way too early to make this claim.

vCash
    But he also didn't have near the transition we did from a scheme standpoint.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, I just think it's way too early to make this claim.
    They were running a pure option offense last year. It was basically the veer with Plumlee at QB.

They changed their offense completely.

vCash
    Seems they have done a good job of putting in a one read offense that simplifies it for the players. Helps to have a guy look Moore that you can be confident nobody can cover.

Similar to the last couple of years with Bama receivers. You don’t have to coach the qb to look to see if he’s open - you just throw assuming he’s open. Meanwhile the 3-8 zone has totally messed with our qbs as they have no idea where to go with the ball half the time.

Against OM I’d run nothing but zone and try to disguise it as much as they could since they will hand it off or let Corral take off. I’d almost be fine for them running for 300 yards on us at 5 yards a clip than watching them throw for 500 on us. Maybe we pull a shocker but I am not looking forward this one