Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baseball Class 2021

vCash

Baseball Class 2021

Just signed- looks like a top 10 class. Not quite as deep on pitching as the last class- but not bad.

Maddux Bruns is the guy that may be a draft risk here. He's our best pitching recruit. Pico Kohn I think will get to school and be a weekend guy. Jackson Conn from JA is 6'8" and is very projectable. He's up to 93 now and I think he has room to grow and clean up his mechanics some. Definitely could be a weekend guy here. Bruns is the only one that I think will emerge into a first round pick if we get him though.

Andrew Walling is a JUCO pitcher by way of Oregon State. He's a closer type- and he's a draft risk.

Tyler Haines has a pretty good slider for a high school pitcher and we'll develop that at MSU. Probably a relief pitcher for us. Jack Walker is from a really good high school program in Louisiana and I could see him becoming a weekend guy. Cole Cheatham and Taylor Montiel are both LHP that have starter potential as well but could also be bullpen guys.

We did really well filling positions with this class.

Gray Bane is a legacy from Lewisburg and is our catcher of the future after Logan Tanner and Luke Hancock leave.

We missed on Blaze Jordan who was originally supposed to be in this class but I think we found as good as replacement as we could in Hunter Hines from Madison Central. He's a LH power prospect that has been mashing all summer. I think he's our first baseman after Hatcher leaves. Aaron Downs is another good power hitting prospect that may be a draft risk. As a Cardinals fan he reminds me a little bit of a college version of Tyler O'Neill as far as how he is built. I think he will be a third baseman/corner outfielder for us depending on how long Kellum Clark is here. Either way I think he will find his way in the lineup sooner than later in his college career.

Jordan McCants is a SS who is a speed guy and may be a lead off hitter for us if doesn't go pro. His brother plays at Ole Miss.

James Wood is the biggest draft risk on the team. He's 6'6" and is a corner OF all the way. He needs to fill out but he's probably a MLB player and has big time power potential. I could see him being a first round pick with his upside this year. If we somehow get him he will be a superstar here. Jeffrey Ince is a player I like a lot- I think he ends up in the OF for us mostly because I think Davis Meche will win the second base job next year if not this year and we need to find a way to get both in the lineup. Really hard nosed MSU type player. Matt Corder is a JUCO player from Hinds kind of in that mold as well. He's versatile but I think he's an OF for us. Think Cody Brown as a RH hitter. He'll probably be a guy that is a leader type on the team for us. Trey Higgins is a great athlete that will play OF for us as well and I think he has good chance to start for us. I like that he is a switch hitter and he plays QB for his HS team. Bradley Wilson is a guy that can catch and pitch- kind of a mystery to me where he ultimately ends up but he's another guy that's athletic and I could see us maybe trying him at a couple of spots and finding a place for him.

vCash
    Forgetting kids that are: non-Mississippi, non-South, and Super Highly Rated ?. like Austin Hendricks, Colorado Kids, and New York Kids...

Maddux Bruns is a big player for us in this class. You need this type of talent for Game-1 in Super Regionals and Game-1 in Omaha against the same type of player in a Vanderbilt or Louisville uniform.

vCash
    Woods = Fred McGriff. He's going in the top 50 picks.

Bruns - Doesn't throw a ton of strikes. top 50 pick type talent, but may fall to college due to strike throwing.

Kohn - Future all SEC left handed pitcher. Not a ton different than Nikhazy at Ole Miss

Walling - Depends on signability & how he does as a starter this year in JUCO. He wants to start, and if teams think he's a 4th-5th round closer instead of a top 3 round starter, he may come to MSU to prove them wrong. Either way, he's a 97 mph lefty that can spin a breaking ball. He's an impact talent
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Outstanding breakdown of this upcoming class Todd. Good read.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Woods = Fred McGriff. He's going in the top 50 picks.

Bruns - Doesn't throw a ton of strikes. top 50 pick type talent, but may fall to college due to strike throwing.

Kohn - Future all SEC left handed pitcher. Not a ton different than Nikhazy at Ole Miss

Walling - Depends on signability & how he does as a starter this year in JUCO. He wants to start, and if teams think he's a 4th-5th round closer instead of a top 3 round starter, he may come to MSU to prove them wrong. Either way, he's a 97 mph lefty that can spin a breaking ball. He's an impact talent
    Kohn is a lot more projectable than Nikhazy, though. A lot more room to grow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    Kohn is a lot more projectable than Nikhazy, though. A lot more room to grow.
    True but Nikhazy is more advanced out of high school. At least at this point. We'll see how Kohn looks in the Spring

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    True but Nikhazy is more advanced out of high school. At least at this point. We'll see how Kohn looks in the Spring
    I don’t think that’s true about him being more advanced.

vCash
    I really think the MLB teams will go after college players and high end HS talent first. Lots and lots of college players to choose from. Of course if Bruns blows up this spring then he will go high. Walling is in same boat.

With Wood, he has major competition w lots of college age kids that can hit better pitching.

vCash
    Nikhazy is so overrated...

vCash
    Bane must be Craig Bane's son. Damn I am getting old but love thinking back to the old players. Great analysis Todd! Thanks!
    Last edited by BHildreth3; 11-16-2020 at 06:59 PM.

vCash
    We cannot sign too many highly ranked players. We live by getting the under valued players and developing them so PG rankings don?t mean much to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BHildreth3 View Post
    Bane must be Craig Bane's son. Damn I am getting old but love thinking back to the old players
    Yep. He is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MsStateBaseball View Post
    I really think the MLB teams will go after college players and high end HS talent first. Lots and lots of college players to choose from. Of course if Bruns blows up this spring then he will go high. Walling is in same boat.

With Wood, he has major competition w lots of college age kids that can hit better pitching.
    Don't even know how many rounds it's going to be yet do they?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Don't even know how many rounds it's going to be yet do they?
    No but it looks like 20. If they start giving virus shots in late spring, MLB still won?t be at full fan capacity which means lost revenue. It looks like minor league baseball is a go w no fans or very little. Still losing money.

vCash
    No but it looks like 20. If they start giving virus shots in late spring, MLB still won?t be at full fan capacity which means lost revenue. It looks like minor league baseball is a go w no fans or very little. Still losing money.
    Remember too that they are gutting the minor league system. Dropping 42 teams - mostly low A and Rookie ball teams means roughly 1000 less spots to fill. They are going to reduce risk by letting college teams do the development now. A lot less HS players are going to get drafted from here on.

vCash
    Bad year to be a middle of the road free agent. Also gonna see lots of teams not tender guys that are arbitration eligible. Gonna be a different off season for mlb signings.

vCash
    You know how owners want to spend less and get more, well this is the year. ?You want a million dollars in the 6th round..we don?t have it bc of COVID...?

I would go to college and wait 2-3 years.

vCash
    You know how owners want to spend less and get more, well this is the year. ?You want a million dollars in the 6th round..we don?t have it bc of COVID...?

I agree w the go to college part. But they are all still going to spend all their slot money. We wil lose guys in the draft. And if we don't, we aren't signing enough of the right guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    I don’t think that’s true about him being more advanced.
    Ok

vCash

Not how how the draft works. Every teams has a pool of money they can use in the first 10 rounds of the draft, and, since the draft is the most cost effective way to acquire talent, I can assure you every team will use every penny of that money.

If a team has 1 mil to spend in the 6th round, it means they've saved 1 mil in the 1st or 2nd round. They're spending it.