Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baseball Class 2021

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I agree w the go to college part. But they are all still going to spend all their slot money. We wil lose guys in the draft. And if we don't, we aren't signing enough of the right guys.
    going to college or now depends on the kid. Every situation is different
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Bad year to be a middle of the road free agent. Also gonna see lots of teams not tender guys that are arbitration eligible. Gonna be a different off season for mlb signings.
    Agree. It's been a bad times to be a middle of the road free agent for a while. The MLBPA will want to fix that in the next CBA

vCash
    We can afford to lose Wood and Bruns to draft and still be good. We should have never signed Austin Hendrick, that was Cannizzaro and Blaze was going pro no matter what.

But we have got to keep big recruits too sometimes. I know the staff, since I keep up w recruiting, will stop recruiting a kid bc they KNOW it will be impossible to keep them. Florida and Vanderbilt sign so many high end kids they keep their fair share and some don?t work out.

We live to get guys like Justin Foscue, they improve so much bc of their makeup in 3 years.

I?ve been to several summer and fall camps to see Lemonis in action (and Gautreau) and the rate of offering and committing is up there. The stadium and facilities sell it big time. I saw Wood there and knew he would commit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Not how how the draft works. Every teams has a pool of money they can use in the first 10 rounds of the draft, and, since the draft is the most cost effective way to acquire talent, I can assure you every team will use every penny of that money.

If a team has 1 mil to spend in the 6th round, it means they've saved 1 mil in the 1st or 2nd round. They're spending it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MsStateBaseball View Post
    We can afford to lose Wood and Bruns to draft and still be good. We should have never signed Austin Hendrick, that was Cannizzaro and Blaze was going pro no matter what.

But we have got to keep big recruits too sometimes. I know the staff, since I keep up w recruiting, will stop recruiting a kid bc they KNOW it will be impossible to keep them. Florida and Vanderbilt sign so many high end kids they keep their fair share and some don?t work out.

We live to get guys like Justin Foscue, they improve so much bc of their makeup in 3 years.

I?ve been to several summer and fall camps to see Lemonis in action (and Gautreau) and the rate of offering and committing is up there. The stadium and facilities sell it big time. I saw Wood there and knew he would commit.
    I don't agree with this.

You sign as many high end kids as you can and then you just have to be realistic about whether or not they'll get to campus and spend their money elsewhere

You still commit them though because you never know if a kid will get injured and end up going to school. As long as you're realistic about them getting to campus, it does no harm to sign them.

vCash

Why not sign Hendricks?? It's 99.9 he's going pro. But there is still .01. The team that signs him is the only team that can get him. And he's was committed a long time. Some guys lose value and drop. Get em committed and go from there.

vCash
    I don't agree with this.

You sign as many high end kids as you can and then you just have to be realistic about whether or not they'll get to campus and spend their money elsewhere

You still commit them though because you never know if a kid will get injured and end up going to school. As long as you're realistic about them getting to campus, it does no harm to sign them.
    This is the correct answer!!

vCash
    Why not sign Hendricks?? It's 99.9 he's going pro. But there is still .01. The team that signs him is the only team that can get him. And he's was committed a long time. Some guys lose value and drop. Get em committed and go from there.
    Of course you sign him.

I like MsStateBaseball & the things he does, but I'm not sure he understands the business here.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Just signed- looks like a top 10 class. Not quite as deep on pitching as the last class- but not bad.

Maddux Bruns is the guy that may be a draft risk here. He's our best pitching recruit. Pico Kohn I think will get to school and be a weekend guy. Jackson Conn from JA is 6'8" and is very projectable. He's up to 93 now and I think he has room to grow and clean up his mechanics some. Definitely could be a weekend guy here. Bruns is the only one that I think will emerge into a first round pick if we get him though.

Andrew Walling is a JUCO pitcher by way of Oregon State. He's a closer type- and he's a draft risk.

Tyler Haines has a pretty good slider for a high school pitcher and we'll develop that at MSU. Probably a relief pitcher for us. Jack Walker is from a really good high school program in Louisiana and I could see him becoming a weekend guy. Cole Cheatham and Taylor Montiel are both LHP that have starter potential as well but could also be bullpen guys.

We did really well filling positions with this class.

Gray Bane is a legacy from Lewisburg and is our catcher of the future after Logan Tanner and Luke Hancock leave.

We missed on Blaze Jordan who was originally supposed to be in this class but I think we found as good as replacement as we could in Hunter Hines from Madison Central. He's a LH power prospect that has been mashing all summer. I think he's our first baseman after Hatcher leaves. Aaron Downs is another good power hitting prospect that may be a draft risk. As a Cardinals fan he reminds me a little bit of a college version of Tyler O'Neill as far as how he is built. I think he will be a third baseman/corner outfielder for us depending on how long Kellum Clark is here. Either way I think he will find his way in the lineup sooner than later in his college career.

Jordan McCants is a SS who is a speed guy and may be a lead off hitter for us if doesn't go pro. His brother plays at Ole Miss.

James Wood is the biggest draft risk on the team. He's 6'6" and is a corner OF all the way. He needs to fill out but he's probably a MLB player and has big time power potential. I could see him being a first round pick with his upside this year. If we somehow get him he will be a superstar here. Jeffrey Ince is a player I like a lot- I think he ends up in the OF for us mostly because I think Davis Meche will win the second base job next year if not this year and we need to find a way to get both in the lineup. Really hard nosed MSU type player. Matt Corder is a JUCO player from Hinds kind of in that mold as well. He's versatile but I think he's an OF for us. Think Cody Brown as a RH hitter. He'll probably be a guy that is a leader type on the team for us. Trey Higgins is a great athlete that will play OF for us as well and I think he has good chance to start for us. I like that he is a switch hitter and he plays QB for his HS team. Bradley Wilson is a guy that can catch and pitch- kind of a mystery to me where he ultimately ends up but he's another guy that's athletic and I could see us maybe trying him at a couple of spots and finding a place for him.
    Thanks! Always enjoy your baseball input!
    No Signature

vCash
    I think the coaches want to sign an Austin Reed over a Hendricks. Just my opinion. Reed has a ton of potential. They are taking a chance with Wood bc there?s a good chance he comes to college in there mind.

I?m not an expert on the draft. I read what the experts say and next year will be overloaded with college talent which will push the HS guys down.

vCash
    I think the coaches want to sign an Austin Reed over a Hendricks. Just my opinion. Reed has a ton of potential. They are taking a chance with Wood bc there?s a good chance he comes to college in there mind.

I?m not an expert on the draft. I read what the experts say and next year will be overloaded with college talent which will push the HS guys down.
    They want to sign both. They did. Reed isn't even on baseball aid. You need backup plans, we've done that. But keep signing the best of the best. As for your draft comment, I think, as a rule, that's the way it will be as far as HS guys getting pushed down more and more. However, the elite guys, for the most part, are still going to sign. Plus the ones that just don't care to go to college anyway.

vCash
    I don't agree with this.

Yes! This is the correct answer!