Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coach Mark Hudspeth

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    That is called being principled and is a positive character trait.
    Actually it’s “a” character trait and not always positive. I’ve seen many principled people become the reason for their own demise. Sometimes you can have the wrong principles and that will keep you from completing the mission.

vCash
    Hud is a good coach and I?m pretty confident he would succeed here. Normally I am not a person that cares what one does in their personal life as long as they get the job done. Being a football coach is a different story since he is the public eye. It?s too much baggage to risk especially at MSU where the NCAA seems to always be watching for us to slip up as we are an easy target for them

vCash
    I guess millenials don't care about character. The head football coach represents the university. At one time that counted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Actually it’s “a” character trait and not always positive. I’ve seen many principled people become the reason for their own demise. Sometimes you can have the wrong principles and that will keep you from completing the mission.
    Yeah, like that guy about two thousand years ago who was nailed to a cross for his.

vCash
    I dont blame Hud for what he did at UNA- shit happens when you are in your 30's to age 40. Hell, he married the girl. I do blame Hud for losing his job at Austin Peay as a 50 year old. Thats simply bad judgement. Big head should have control of your life by 40 years old
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Winning solves a lot of problems. Now as we learned with Cann, it can't solve all the problems. Hud is a lot like Freeze, I think they are both great offensive minds that can call a hell of a game (see Auburn 2018) and are supreme motivators.However, their off field problems will always make them polarizing figures. The difference is that Hugh has only been accused of it once in the general public where as Hud is on his about 3rd or 4th time. I think Hud could and would win big here. I just feel like we'd constantly be on pin and needles waiting for him to screw up if he was the HC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Winning solves a lot of problems. Now as we learned with Cann, it can't solve all the problems. Hud is a lot like Freeze, I think they are both great offensive minds that can call a hell of a game (see Auburn 2018) and are supreme motivators.However, their off field problems will always make them polarizing figures. The difference is that Hugh has only been accused of it once in the general public where as Hud is on his about 3rd or 4th time. I think Hud could and would win big here. I just feel like we'd constantly be on pin and needles waiting for him to screw up if he was the HC.
    I think be would recruit well here. I think he would also possibly get us on probation. The upper classmen on the 2014-15 team were recruits when he was here. I bet he found some good players for that team.

vCash
    Yeah, like that guy about two thousand years ago who was nailed to a cross for his.
    You’re comparing a football coach to Jesus? Maybe take a step back for a little while. Some of you folks are legit insane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    at least he married her
    Must have had some good stuff

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    The guy had one winning season at ULL .. ONE
    And he got fired from there...
    This is ridiculous. He won big at ULL for ULL. Basically he was their SHerrill as far as teaching them they could win.

He already had a slim chance of getting a P5 job because of the way things ended at ULL. He probably just about closed out his chances by going to Austin Peay. But now the Austin Peay stuff has probably put the nail in that coffin as far as ensuring he won't ever get a P5 head coaching job. Can't still be doing that shit in your 50's. At least not unless you are already proven enough at that level to get another shot like Petrino.

But there's no need to mislead about his record. He's a very good coach for any level below P5. That doesn't mean a whole lot as far as how he compares to P5, where most coaches have proven they are good coaches below P5 or at been top coordinators in P5. But he accomplished as much at G5 as a lot of coaches that have gotten shots at being a P5 coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    This is ridiculous. He won big at ULL for ULL. Basically he was their SHerrill as far as teaching them they could win.

He already had a slim chance of getting a P5 job because of the way things ended at ULL. He probably just about closed out his chances by going to Austin Peay. But now the Austin Peay stuff has probably put the nail in that coffin as far as ensuring he won't ever get a P5 head coaching job. Can't still be doing that shit in your 50's. At least not unless you are already proven enough at that level to get another shot like Petrino.

But there's no need to mislead about his record. He's a very good coach for any level below P5. That doesn't mean a whole lot as far as how he compares to P5, where most coaches have proven they are good coaches below P5 or at been top coordinators in P5. But he accomplished as much at G5 as a lot of coaches that have gotten shots at being a P5 coach.
    Other than the last couple of seasons at ULL, he has done well enough to earn a shot. The off the field issues seem to be too much to overcome though. He won at ULL when they never had before. He then went to Austin Peay and won in his first year like they had never won before. Based on his coaching record, he is a better candidate than Napier if he didn't have all the off the field issues.

I wouldn't have been mad if we had hired him at some point in the past but that ship has sailed with all of the issues.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Other than the last couple of seasons at ULL, he has done well enough to earn a shot. The off the field issues seem to be too much to overcome though. He won at ULL when they never had before. He then went to Austin Peay and won in his first year like they had never won before. Based on his coaching record, he is a better candidate than Napier if he didn't have all the off the field issues.

I wouldn't have been mad if we had hired him at some point in the past but that ship has sailed with all of the issues.
    Napier is a lesser version of Hud after Hud had been at ULL an equivalent amount of time. Hud took over a worse program and won. Napier is looking good so far and has a lot to recommend him. The problem with hiring coaches after just a year or two as a G5 coach is that if they start their job with one stellar recruiting class as sophomores, they can have two or three years of success without you knowing whether they can sustain it.

vCash
    Napier is a lesser version of Hud after Hud had been at ULL an equivalent amount of time. Hud took over a worse program and won. Napier is looking good so far and has a lot to recommend him. The problem with hiring coaches after just a year or two as a G5 coach is that if they start their job with one stellar recruiting class as sophomores, they can have two or three years of success without you knowing whether they can sustain it.
    Good post. I agree, and I really think Hud is a much better coach than Napier. Much better. Too bad he can't get his personal priorities straight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Good post. I agree, and I really think Hud is a much better coach than Napier. Much better. Too bad he can't get his personal priorities straight.
    I’d rather have a great coach that wins but likes the ladies as opposed to a morally superior coach who gets us 2 wins a year. But that’s me. I guess I just expect a football coach to win football games and i really don’t give a crap about their personal life (as long as they aren’t doing anything illegal) or who they vote for.

vCash
    You’re comparing a football coach to Jesus? Maybe take a step back for a little while. Some of you folks are legit insane.
    Is Jesus not somebody we should do our best to follow the example of?

vCash
    Is Jesus not somebody we should do our best to follow the example of?
    He had a pretty good team except for one malcontent.

vCash
    I’d rather have a great coach that wins but likes the ladies as opposed to a morally superior coach who gets us 2 wins a year. But that’s me. I guess I just expect a football coach to win football games and i really don’t give a crap about their personal life (as long as they aren’t doing anything illegal) or who they vote for.
    MSU apparent disagrees as evidenced by a building on campus named after Charley Shira.**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    He had a pretty good team except for one malcontent.
    Technically 12. They fled after he was arrested and his top guy denied him. And of course there was the guy that sold him out.

vCash
    Very true. Hadn't thought about this.

Could you say the same about a guy like Kiffin though?

Showing up with Matt Corral, Moore, & Ealy on campus along with the team being formally coached by an OL coach. Can he sustain that?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    big head