Thread: Miss. State #6 in AP Top 25 (Women's Basketball)

vCash

Miss. State #6 in AP Top 25 (Women's Basketball)

Miss. State women's basketball team at #6 in the initial AP Top 25....2020-21 season

1.SouthCarolina
    2. Stanford
    3. Connecticut
    4. Baylor
    5. Louisville
    6. Miss.State
    7. Arizona
    8. North Carolina State
    9. UCLA
    10. Oregon
    11. Kentucky

13. Arkansas
    14. Texas A&M

Others receiving votes:
    Tennesse 1

vCash
    I've got high expectations for this team. We return a lot and added some good pieces as well. If we can establish a threat from behind the arc, then I think we would go very far.

That was my one knock against Vic. Defenders would play way off our guards because they knew we weren't going to pull up. So (much like the 3-8 defense), they parked in the paint and made it difficult to generate offense.
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 11-10-2020 at 01:28 PM.

vCash
    We will be fine offensively.

I think the unknown is:
    - defense
    - team intensity

Schaffer was good at getting the defense and intensity going. Hope new coach can as well.

vCash
    We are too talented to not be good, it's just a question of how good. And keep in mind everybody gets an extra year this year and the bulk of our roster is sophomores and juniors, so from a talent perspective we are plenty equipped to continue the run we've been on the next couple of years.

It will just depend on Nikki, in all honesty. If she's just a good or OK coach we will still win a lot of games the next few years. Anything above that and there may not be much drop off from where we were with Vic. I have a hard time putting national championship expectations on a new coach, but if Vic were here I would've told you this was going to be a Final Four team this year. So you know from a roster standpoint we are in really good shape. Just have to hope we made a strong hire.

vCash
    8. Mississippi State Bulldogs
    Previous ranking: 6

The coach on the sidelines has changed, but one defining characteristic of the Mississippi State program is staying the same: size. Nikki McCray-Penson, who takes over for Vic Schaefer, will rely heavily on the frontcourt trio of 6-2 sophomore Rickea Jackson (15.1 PPG, 5.4 RPG), 6-5 junior Jessika Carter (13.7 PPG, 8.7 RPG) and 6-4 Michigan State transfer Sidney Cooks. If junior Myah Taylor develops into a top SEC point guard, the Bulldogs have Final Four potential. -- Creme

vCash
    IF IF IF IF IF .. SMH !! Being an All American means nothing if you can't be a team player. With COVID still in play there is no telling what will happen with any team in the nation. Defense will be our downfall in the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    Miss. State women's basketball team at #6 in the initial AP Top 25....2020-21 season

1.SouthCarolina
    2. Stanford
    3. Connecticut
    4. Baylor
    5. Louisville
    6. Miss.State
    7. Arizona
    8. North Carolina State
    9. UCLA
    10. Oregon
    11. Kentucky

13. Arkansas
    14. Texas A&M

Others receiving votes:
    Tennesse 1
    That's great. I'm excited again. After two national finals even losing in the Elite Eight felt disappointing, but now I don't have crazy high expectations and can enjoy a good season. Probably won't win the SEC but a Top 3 finish would still be a good year and a goal to make the Elite Eight with hopes of a Final Four. With a brand new coach.

Everything I read early on about our new coach spoke out about demanding effort and toughness from her players. I thought she was big on a tough defense but some of the comments here don't say that. We'll see.

Between WBB and Baseball State could have a good spring semester.

vCash
    Read in an article on another Miss. State site....
    Miss. State's recent signee Knisha Godfrey (#40 ESPN, #36 Prospects Nation), has announced that she's graduating early, and planning early enrollment at Miss. State....joining the team in December, IMMDIATeLY ELIGIBLE starting with the second semester (SEC schedule). This gives Miss. State 12 scholarship players for this season.

Also, appears that this basically puts her in the freshman class (late arrival) with Madison Hayes and Charlotte Kohl.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 11-14-2020 at 11:04 PM.

vCash
    Naismith and Wade Watch Lists
    Preseason All-SEC (SEC Coaches)
    - Rickea Jackson
    - Jessika Carter

Also, Knisha Godfrey high school highlights from last season. In the video she's playing combo guard for a loaded Tampa Bay Tech (Riverview, Florida) squad, defending class 8a state champs. This kid is a baller.....
    .https://youtu.be/bFdJkT5XRMY
    Last edited by jdelta02; 11-19-2020 at 09:11 AM.

vCash
    Miss. State's recent signee Knisha Godfrey (#40 ESPN, #36 Prospects Nation), has announced that she's graduating early, and planning early enrollment at Miss. State....joining the team in December, IMMDIATeLY ELIGIBLE starting with the second semester (SEC schedule). This gives Miss. State 12 scholarship players for this season.

Also, appears that this basically puts her in the freshman class (late arrival) with Madison Hayes and Charlotte Kohl.
    Good news there.

vCash
    USA Today Women's Basketball Coaches Poll released.....
    Miss. State #7

vCash
    We very likely play UConn a week from Sunday. That will probably tell you how close we are to being a national title contender this year. Not saying we have to win (UConn very rarely loses in their home state), but I'd like to see us at least be competitive.

vCash
    I like this lineup and I spoke with someone today that's very close to the program and they really like this squad too. Bad part is they don't expect this season to be completed.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    We very likely play UConn a week from Sunday. That will probably tell you how close we are to being a national title contender this year. Not saying we have to win (UConn very rarely loses in their home state), but I'd like to see us at least be competitive.
    Uconn has a lot of new players in place they have never played a game together. I wouldn't be surprised to see us beat them. Team chemistry will play out early.

vCash

And this season won't count toward eligibility - so we could have her 4 more years on the court after this season.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    2020-21 Preseason SEC Women's Basketball (Media Poll)

1. South Carolina
    2. Mississippi State
    3. Kentucky
    4. Texas A&M
    5. Arkansas
    6. Tennessee
    7. LSU
    8. Georgia
    9. Alabama
    10. Florida
    11. Missouri
    12. Vanderbilt
    13. Auburn
    14. Ole Miss

SEC Player Of The Year
    - Rhyne Howard (Kentucky)

Preseason All-SEC
    - Unique Thompson (Auburn)
    - Rhyne Howard (Kentucky)
    - Rickea Jackson (Mississippi State)
    - Aliyah Boston (South Carolina)
    - Rennia Davis (Tennessee)
    - N'dea Jones (Texas A&M)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    Uconn has a lot of new players in place they have never played a game together. I wouldn't be surprised to see us beat them. Team chemistry will play out early.
    That's a good point to make.