Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our QB situation is unique

vCash

Our QB situation is unique

After this year because of COVID Rogers eligibility clock doesn't really start until next year. So, we could in theory redshirt him next year and then he could be around until 2025. That's some pretty good flexibility to have because I do think that he will be good in time. I also think it's possible that Sawyer Robertson could outright beat him in a QB competition next year.

Rogers to me is sort of like a John Parker Wilson type at Alabama. He's the local guy and played at fairly high profile high school in the biggest city in the state. He's also appears to have good intangibles. But he's also not a guy that is going to come in right away and succeed at a high level as a true freshman. But given time he will develop into a really good QB by his junior/senior year. I want to see him start to develop a deep passing game more. Right now I think because of the speed of the game he is taking a lot of the safe throws- which isn't the worst thing in the world given Costello throwing a ton of picks. I thought he dissected the Vandy three man rush very well early in the game but struggled once they started to disguise what they were doing with their alignment and then they started to blitz some. When teams do that- that's when I want to see Rogers start to look deep some. Also a pump fake and using his eyes better would help too- and yes, he is a freshman.

Robertson has a much higher ceiling than Rogers based on the tape. He's just much more athletic. I have no idea about his intangibles though and that's a question mark for really any QB prospect. It's one thing to be the man in high school when a QB can just get by on talent basically and it's another to be the man at Mississippi State. The skill set is there athletically- and if he can make the reads quickly in addition to being able to stretch the field more it's not a stretch at this point that Robertson could win the job. That said- he will also be a true freshman and Rogers will have the experience edge over him. It will be an interesting battle to watch in the spring. If Robertson wins the job he could be our QB for the next four years with Rogers backing him up. If not- we could just redshirt Robertson.

The wild card to me in all of this is KJ Costello. I don't know if he will come back or not- he could just say forget it I'm moving on. I could see some NFL team maybe offering him a free agent spot or something. I could also see him coming back because at this point what does he really have to lose? His draft stock isn't going to get worse if he comes back and if he spends the offseason mastering the offense after having a year running it this year he may surprise everyone. I don't know what he wants to do because he has had a lot of injuries at MSU and Stanford. If he does come back MSU needs to send him to a sports psychologist because he is obviously worried about getting hurt which is why I think he slides too soon and is reluctant to run and scramble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    After this year because of COVID Rogers eligibility clock doesn't really start until next year. So, we could in theory redshirt him next year and then he could be around until 2025. That's some pretty good flexibility to have because I do think that he will be good in time. I also think it's possible that Sawyer Robertson could outright beat him in a QB competition next year.

Rogers to me is sort of like a John Parker Wilson type at Alabama. He's the local guy and played at fairly high profile high school in the biggest city in the state. He's also appears to have good intangibles. But he's also not a guy that is going to come in right away and succeed at a high level as a true freshman. But given time he will develop into a really good QB by his junior/senior year. I want to see him start to develop a deep passing game more. Right now I think because of the speed of the game he is taking a lot of the safe throws- which isn't the worst thing in the world given Costello throwing a ton of picks. I thought he dissected the Vandy three man rush very well early in the game but struggled once they started to disguise what they were doing with their alignment and then they started to blitz some. When teams do that- that's when I want to see Rogers start to look deep some. Also a pump fake and using his eyes better would help too- and yes, he is a freshman.

Robertson has a much higher ceiling than Rogers based on the tape. He's just much more athletic. I have no idea about his intangibles though and that's a question mark for really any QB prospect. It's one thing to be the man in high school when a QB can just get by on talent basically and it's another to be the man at Mississippi State. The skill set is there athletically- and if he can make the reads quickly in addition to being able to stretch the field more it's not a stretch at this point that Robertson could win the job. That said- he will also be a true freshman and Rogers will have the experience edge over him. It will be an interesting battle to watch in the spring. If Robertson wins the job he could be our QB for the next four years with Rogers backing him up. If not- we could just redshirt Robertson.

The wild card to me in all of this is KJ Costello. I don't know if he will come back or not- he could just say forget it I'm moving on. I could see some NFL team maybe offering him a free agent spot or something. I could also see him coming back because at this point what does he really have to lose? His draft stock isn't going to get worse if he comes back and if he spends the offseason mastering the offense after having a year running it this year he may surprise everyone. I don't know what he wants to do because he has had a lot of injuries at MSU and Stanford. If he does come back MSU needs to send him to a sports psychologist because he is obviously worried about getting hurt which is why I think he slides too soon and is reluctant to run and scramble.
    I hope to see a battle for the starting position next year ... whether that's Rogers or Robinson - either way it's going to be a freshman and that tells the rest of us that we are more than likely going to have to add another year to our "waiting" ...... Even if KJ came back I'm not convinced he's mobile enough to make this work. I cringed when Schrader hit the portal because I knew there went our only hope to win a few more games this year.... Any chance on Sawyer getting in on the spring training this year ?
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash

That would be pretty incredible if we were able to redshirt ROgers next year while playing four games and then had him to start for four years. But if we redshirt him next year, seems like a pretty good chance he's never the starter unless there is an injury, in which case I'm not sure he sticks around to ride the bench for a 6 year college career.

I'm expecting Rogers to start next year as a "true" freshman while Robertson redshirts (unless there is an injury), and in 2022, Robertson will either beat him out or will transfer.

Hard for me to see Costello coming back. IF he keeps playing the way he has, he may not even be able to get workouts with NFL teams, but if he needs to comeback, it would make more sense for him to transfer somewhere else to see if he can do better in their offense. If he stays healthy and starts playing better such that he is getting legitimate workout opportunities even if it's unlikely he'll be drafted, I'm not sure I see him using a 6th year of college eligibility given his injury history. No clue where his head is at but I could just see him deciding he's going to take his shot and make it or not.

vCash
    Sawyer Robertson is going to be the QB next year. He's THAT good. And that's not a knock on Will, but Sawyer can simply make throws that Will cannot make. He can drive the ball downfield and more importantly can drive the ball on the deep crossers that are so important in the Leach offense.

vCash

Don't forget Daniel Greek ...

Greek is also a 2021 coming in....

I don't want to see Costello ever again. When he plays, he suppresses our QB future development.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Sawyer Robertson is going to be the QB next year. He's THAT good. And that's not a knock on Will, but Sawyer can simply make throws that Will cannot make. He can drive the ball downfield and more importantly can drive the ball on the deep crossers that are so important in the Leach offense.

I agree but when it comes to talent bs experience coaches almost always err on the side of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wrapit View Post
    Greek is also a 2021 coming in....

I don't want to see Costello ever again. When he plays, he suppresses our QB future development.
    I can't see Greek contributing much here.

vCash
    TLDR

vCash
    Robertson is either starting next year or he's not coming. The lack of offensive production will guarantee all offensive positions are open. Rogers play would have to improve drastically for Leach to stick with him. I thought Rogers would be the guy but he's not ready. He played the worst defense in the SEC and looked exactly like Costello, lost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Robertson is either starting next year or he's not coming. The lack of offensive production will guarantee all offensive positions are open. Rogers play would have to improve drastically for Leach to stick with him. I thought Rogers would be the guy but he's not ready. He played the worst defense in the SEC and looked exactly like Costello, lost.
    Leach values experience more than anyone. The guy isnt starting a true freshman QB for 2 straight years. Will Rogers will have to suck it up next year for leach to make that move.

vCash
    Not graduating early is going to make it really tough for Sawyer, regardless of talent. If he was here for Spring, I'd agree
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    This is nonsense.

Have you spoken to Robertson about not coming if he isn't starting next year? Huh? What type of statement is that?

Also, Rogers wasn't lost. He's a little slow right now, but the OL got railroaded in the 2nd half after Vandy knew how many COVID guys we had out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by state66 View Post
    Leach values experience more than anyone. The guy isnt starting a true freshman QB for 2 straight years. Will Rogers will have to suck it up next year for leach to make that move.
    Will will start the year, but, if he doesn't perform, Robertson will slowly get more & more playing time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This is nonsense.

Have you spoken to Robertson about not coming if he isn't starting next year? Huh? What type of statement is that?

Also, Rogers wasn't lost. He's a little slow right now, but the OL got railroaded in the 2nd half after Vandy knew how many COVID guys we had out.
    Obviously you have no clue. That kid is not coming to a terrible team to ride the bench. He could go to a lot of winning destinations and compete for a winning program. Vandy also had more covid players out than we did.

vCash
    Rogers is a system QB. He's a film junkie. He'll start next year and I expect him to be pretty solid. He doesn't have a big arm but he'll know where to go with the ball.
    Leach has done everything he can not to play him much this year because he hates playing freshmen QBs. But Leach also said he's further along than any freshman he's had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Rogers is a system QB. He's a film junkie. He'll start next year and I expect him to be pretty solid. He doesn't have a big arm but he'll know where to go with the ball.
    Leach has done everything he can not to play him much this year because he hates playing freshmen QBs. But Leach also said he's further along than any freshman he's had.
    And Sawyer Robertson is better already. Unless he shows major improvement from now to the end of the year, nothing Rogers has done has impressed me. He looked bad at Kentucky, he looked ok against A&M after they went to prevent and let us have everything under 10 yards, he looked bad against Bama, and he honestly looked bad against Vandy. He's not a QB in this league. Put him at WSU and he's probably average to slightly above average. He just can't push the ball downfield. He's 41 y/o Drew Brees without the accuracy. It's not his fault. He's just not tall and doesn't possess the arm strength to be successful at this level.

vCash
    And Sawyer Robertson is better already. Unless he shows major improvement from now to the end of the year, nothing Rogers has done has impressed me. He looked bad at Kentucky, he looked ok against A&M after they went to prevent and let us have everything under 10 yards, he looked bad against Bama, and he honestly looked bad against Vandy. He's not a QB in this league. Put him at WSU and he's probably average to slightly above average. He just can't push the ball downfield. He's 41 y/o Drew Brees without the accuracy. It's not his fault. He's just not tall and doesn't possess the arm strength to be successful at this level.
    this assessment is def premature .... We know very little about this team, it's capabilities, or it's chemistry. Even the OL isn't getting a fair consideration IMO ... until some help at the planning level is realized we won't know anything for absolutely certain. How can you possibly make a judgement on such a small sample ? ...... If we can say that about coaches then we can also say it about players.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Obviously you have no clue. That kid is not coming to a terrible team to ride the bench. He could go to a lot of winning destinations and compete for a winning program. Vandy also had more covid players out than we did.
    We were one player over the league minimum to play last weekend. So if Vandy had more players out than us than the game would not have been played. Also, positions matter here. I'd argue OL and QB being out is the most devastating of losses.

Your Robertson comment is completely ignorant and said without any knowledge of the kid.

vCash
    No he's not. He's not once faced an SEC defense. He might be more talented, but he's not better right now. Rogers has split reps all but last week. He's not even getting all the reps a number one gets. The WRs and OL do the QBs no favors either. The QBs get frustrated and force some throws.
    And you can't push the ball down field vs the drop 8.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 11-11-2020 at 06:19 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    We were one player over the league minimum to play last weekend. So if Vandy had more players out than us than the game would not have been played. Also, positions matter here. I'd argue OL and QB being out is the most devastating of losses.

Your Robertson comment is completely ignorant and said without any knowledge of the kid.
    Whatever homer

vCash
    If Sawyer Robertson won't be here in the spring I can't see him starting at QB for us. Rogers will be way ahead at that point.

I have a feeling Leach is going to try to get a grad transfer again. Our fans will be pissed.