Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk expectations

vCash

Let's talk expectations

I never expected to win many games this year. I thought we'd win 4. Possibly up to 6 if everything went right (I was stupid).. I was ok with that if we scored some points because offense has been our issue. I thought we'd be a little more like OM has been. That hasn't happened. We've been bad on offense. Worst I've ever seen, I think. Now, we've got to let Leach get his players. We don't have the players to run this system. He's got at least 3 years, possibly 4 from what I've heard. Cohen is now tied to this hire. So settle in and pray we're wrong about this scheme. Nothing we can do. At least the defense is solid and our S/C program is improved. Need the offense to get players and we'll see....
    Hope the team doesn't fold. That would be a killer. But expect a number of transfers out end of season. Hopefully we can get a transfer or two as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I never expected to win many games this year. I thought we'd win 4. Possibly up to 6 if everything went right (I was stupid).. I was ok with that if we scored some points because offense has been our issue. I thought we'd be a little more like OM has been. That hasn't happened. We've been bad on offense. Worst I've ever seen, I think. Now, we've got to let Leach get his players. We don't have the players to run this system. He's got at least 3 years, possibly 4 from what I've heard. Cohen is now tied to this hire. So settle in and pray we're wrong about this scheme. Nothing we can do. At least the defense is solid and our S/C program is improved. Need the offense to get players and we'll see....
    Hope the team doesn't fold. That would be a killer. But expect a number of transfers out end of season. Hopefully we can get a transfer or two as well.
    This is the way I feel as well. Leach is a smart guy and You can tell this is driving him crazy. I have a feeling that he will make adjustments to his scheme this offseason. I feel like Leach might have gotten complacent after the Tech debacle and at WSU while everyone else has been evolving their schemes. He has enough good coaches around him to help him do that.

I also hope We can hold onto Arnette.

vCash
    I said 15 transfers minimum at the beginning of his tenure and was laughed at by this board. Y’all should have taken the over.

It’s going to take at least a year or two to get the players he needs. The O line may be the biggest issue at this point which is something Mississippi is not really known for producing year in and year out. Two more seconds per snap can greatly increase the production in this offense.

vCash
    It won't matter if he gets "his" players this offense will not work in the SEC.
    1. The DL are to big, fast and physical, much more so than he faced at TT or WSU. The fact that most can sit in a 3 man front and all they have to do is bull rush because there no threat to run. Get there hands up and take away throwing lanes
    2. The LBs in this league are as fast as safety's in other league. Drop into coverage. Short pass LBs come up and make a tackle for a short gain. Bring one Lb or edge rush on 3rd down with and empty back set and it's a sack a quick throw or a rushed INT.
    3. Secondary can just free wheel it. As long as they don't get behind you no much coverage needed in the zone. Why? Because the DL is getting pressure and the QBs take the check down route which is to a back and you have the LBs and safety's to come up for support which leads to a minimum gain.

That's just three reasons. I could go on and on. Fact is this will never work in the SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    1. The DL are to big, fast and physical, much more so than he faced at TT or WSU. The fact that most can sit in a 3 man front and all they have to do is bull rush because there no threat to run. Get there hands up and take away throwing lanes
    2. The LBs in this league are as fast as safety's in other league. Drop into coverage. Short pass LBs come up and make a tackle for a short gain. Bring one Lb or edge rush on 3rd down with and empty back set and it's a sack a quick throw or a rushed INT.
    3. Secondary can just free wheel it. As long as they don't get behind you no much coverage needed in the zone. Why? Because the DL is getting pressure and the QBs take the check down route which is to a back and you have the LBs and safety's to come up for support which leads to a minimum gain.

That's just three reasons. I could go on and on. Fact is this will never work in the SEC.
    This. I will repeat what has been said many times. If you can't pose a threat running the ball, this offense will never work in the SEC

vCash

I didn't say it would work. I said we have no choice but to let him get his players and pray we're wrong. 3-4 years of bitching isn't going to change anything. It's one thing to bitch during/after a game. It's another to beat a dead horse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I didn't say it would work. I said we have no choice but to let him get his players and pray we're wrong. 3-4 years of bitching isn't going to change anything. It's one thing to bitch during/after a game. It's another to beat a dead horse.
    True but I wanted to point out three reason why it won't work so people will understand that we shouldn't give him "time" or wait til he gets his players in. Sorry I'm beating a dead horse just wanted to point out why it won't work

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    I said 15 transfers minimum at the beginning of his tenure and was laughed at by this board. Y?all should have taken the over.

It?s going to take at least a year or two to get the players he needs. The O line may be the biggest issue at this point which is something Mississippi is not really known for producing year in and year out. Two more seconds per snap can greatly increase the production in this offense.
    Where and who are these "players" he needs?

vCash
    True but I wanted to point out three reason why it won't work so people will understand that we shouldn't give him "time" or wait til he gets his players in. Sorry I'm beating a dead horse just wanted to point out why it won't work
    He's not getting fired. We can't pay the buyout. We're Covid broke. He's here. That's why calling for firing him is pointless. And I've done it. But I'm settling in hoping it works out. If it doesn't, at least the consolation prize is a new AD.

vCash
    FWIW he said in his post game presser yesterday that they were going to have to make some adjustments. But who knows what that means to him...

vCash
    Our D has no quit in them. They are prideful and look like they have fun

vCash
    If Leach is here for four years putting up 200 yards a game, there won’t be 100 fans in the stands.

vCash
    If we do get a new coach, I'm ready to go back to an eager, offensive minded coach. Someone like Oregon's OC, that O was legit yesterday. ***

vCash
    I'm not sure Leach will recruit what he needs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I'm not sure Leach will recruit what he needs.
    He's already got his QB and WRs committed. Just needs to find the OL and start filling in from there.

vCash
    When you are playing with 3* and walk-on's against 4* & 5* players that ass is going to get beat most of the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaChicagoDog View Post
    FWIW he said in his post game presser yesterday that they were going to have to make some adjustments. But who knows what that means to him...
    He also said they've been playing with "training wheels" on because they can't handle everything yet. Said they're about to start pushing them to do more now.

vCash
    I hoped for 6 wins but expected fewer. However my expectation was to have this scoreboard tilting offense win or lose. As you say; OM type production. I bought into the Leach hype rather than really studying his body of work. You'll see he was often held to 2 Tds in many games at WSU and TT.

My expectations now, after all the hints from Cohens media blitz last week and now a few of you guys saying he is here for 3 more years, is 3 years of 3-5 wins. Then a Real total rebuild in 2024.

vCash
    Every player (excluding the true freshmen) is used to a run first offense..... And now we're expecting them to just pick up a pass first offense without any spring training. Yes..... Leach should adapt, but he's not. It's gonna take time, but I don't think we have the patience for that.

vCash
    nm