Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: The wheels are falling off....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    If you think Bama ran anything similar against us that LSU did, I can't help you.
    Yeah- this is just ridiculous. Bama moved the D around and brought people from different places- but they backed up and covered for 3/4 of the game.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    I tend to agree with C34 a good bit on football. Not so much this time around.

However, when he goes to a school and has a bad year it do seem to be talent related for some reason. When they're doing really well, it do tend to be offensive design/brilliance related. *****

Watch the blowback on this post *******
    Ive been back in coaching 5 years now. My last 3 offenses have set school records in various categories. I'm good. Thanks for your concern

vCash
    Wasn't really smoke and mirrors. This offense is good against a man to man, blitzing team. We won't see that defense again until Leach is fired.
    This

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If you have a guard that moves that far to help, you'll see a lb blitz the next play
    Do you think the guard is supposed to go outside the tackle to help? You're not asking him to move far to help, maybe 4-5 feet.
    A guard with good feet can help against a wide DE who is forced back inside, chooses to come back inside, or who comes back inside on a twist. Not asking him to vacate his spot to go help a tackle block a wide DE 10 yards away.

When watching our OL, we have guys there they are just not able.

vCash
    If you think Bama ran anything similar against us that LSU did, I can't help you.
    Who said anything about LSU? The 3-8 comparison is to ark, who played almost zero man. If you think Bama played 3-8 every play with cloud coverage or quarters the way ark did, I can't help you.

vCash
    Arkansas and that 3-8 handled that great OM offense to the tune of 6 picks. KY should've beaten OM. Would have if not for missed kick. There's a lot of shitty ball in the SEC. Lotta weird shit too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Who said anything about LSU? The 3-8 comparison is to ark, who played almost zero man. If you think Bama played 3-8 every play with cloud coverage or quarters the way ark did, I can't help you.
    No- but Bama backed up and covered with 7 while rushing 4 a whole lot. They confused us by rotating their front and rushing from different sides. They blitzed a few times- but they mostly just rushed from different sides and dropped different people to confuse us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    No- but Bama backed up and covered with 7 while rushing 4 a whole lot. They confused us by rotating their front and rushing from different sides. They blitzed a few times- but they mostly just rushed from different sides and dropped different people to confuse us
    Yep. They also played a lot more man than ark.

This idea that the only thing stopping this offense is the 3-8 is a farce. Vandy is another example. They tried 3-8 early and we went up 14-0. They started bringing more pressure and we looked lost.

The only time we've looked worth a crap is when LSU had only 4 scholly corners chasing verticals all day in bump and run and could barely move by the third quarter. They blanked us the first quarter I believe.

vCash
    Yep. They also played a lot more man than ark.

This idea that the only thing stopping this offense is the 3-8 is a farce. Vandy is another example. They tried 3-8 early and we went up 14-0. They started bringing more pressure and we looked lost.

The only time we've looked worth a crap is when LSU had only 4 scholly corners chasing verticals all day in bump and run and could barely move by the third quarter. They blanked us the first quarter I believe.
    But the common theme is that SEC teams are dropping 7-8 guys with no problem in stopping us. Until we can run the ball- the Air Raid will not work in the SEC. Thats the bottom line

vCash
    But the common theme is that SEC teams are dropping 7-8 guys with no problem in stopping us. Until we can run the ball- the Air Raid will not work in the SEC. Thats the bottom line
    I've said that since day 1. That's the most disappointing thing to me. Adding the toss was a start. Need to add 2 more concepts

vCash
    Says the person who more than anyone railed on joe's culture and the smoke from weed billowing through the halls of the hotel the night before TN last year.

Again, leach sucking and inheriting a huge culture problem are both things that can be true.
    You can't fix a culture issue with a sucking head coach though...

vCash
    I've said that since day 1. That's the most disappointing thing to me. Adding the toss was a start. Need to add 2 more concepts
    Concept 1) needs to be "OL blocks" because as long as the OL is the worst I've ever seen in Maroon, I doubt anything works. 2) imo should be a zone read. Allow the OT to pull for an extra blocker and eliminate the DE from the box numbers. It's easy to teach and understand. 3) should be an RPO right over top of the LBs. If they stay back give the handoff for 5. If they charge up pull it and hit the slot man running straight to the empty zone. If the Safeties begin to crash down play action them deep.

LB's in a 7-8 man zone pull double duty. RPO would break the 3-8. Maybe some 7 man drop half man cover 3 type thing would be the counter DCs make, BUT we'd be closer to being effective than we are now.

vCash
    This. Any fan that thinks our offensive line talent is the problem, they don't know what they are watching. DCs are playing chess while Leach is playing checkers. Our guys don't know who to block when. That's coaching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    This. Any fan that thinks our offensive line talent is the problem, they don't know what they are watching. DCs are playing chess while Leach is playing checkers. Our guys don't know who to block when. That's coaching.
    I haven't been impressed with Mason Miller. Both his unit on the field and his recruiting. I don't think some of our assistants are SEC caliber assts

vCash
    No. Not if you have guards who can move their feet, head on a swivel, and are smart (I'm not saying our guards aren't smart, but they are slow and not alert; they are lost). Plus, cross is usually fine on an island even against a 9 tech.
    Guards also have a zone to protect even if there's no D-lineman in front of them in case of delayed LB blitz ... If we had a back in the backfield to block the potential LB / DT blitz then yes the guard can swing around and pick up the DE's rush .... people keep saying this OL is garbage but I think the talent there isn't as bad as some claim ... it's not as simple as the 5 blocking 3 thing - many times the OL are just being responsible for their zone. What makes it hard on the OL is the defense knows what's coming and pin their ears back and come hard - most of the times on a DL stunt because they know their back up protection will pick up any missed tackles
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I haven't been impressed with Mason Miller. Both his unit on the field and his recruiting. I don't think some of our assistants are SEC caliber assts
    Yeah there's a disconnect somewhere in here. This oline was much better last year. Under bad coaching then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    It's youth and inexperience. Go back and watch Mullen's 2016 team. 2017 they were pretty darn good.

vCash
    It's youth and inexperience. Go back and watch Mullen's 2016 team. 2017 they were pretty darn good.
    2016 oline was less talented and much better than this one

vCash
    Lot easier to block when the Dline can't pin their ears back on every play. Don't most people realize this?

vCash
    Lot easier to block when the Dline can't pin their ears back on every play. Don't most people realize this?
    3 DL pin their ears back each play, 2 LBs spy the RB in the backfield and disrupt the mesh routes, and drop 6 DBs in coverage.

We should run the ball every time we see two safeties high. But this OL has been coached to initiate contact and push holes for the RBs in the past. Now they're expected to create a pocket and 1v1 a blitzing DL each play.

It seems so simple to disrupt the defense by throwing in a few run plays where you pull a guard and run off tackle. I'm not saying to change your offensive game plan..... but at least keep the defense ****ing honest.