Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Initiative 65

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baddmann View Post
    This is the issue. If you read them they are both not good. 65 has tax surplus only supporting the medical marijuana program and 65a has too much for the legislature to decide later. They could have done a much better job writing both of these.
    I voted to legalize it, but not either one of those choices. They need to go back and get it right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDawgB View Post
    False
    It makes it illegal for you to even own the ones you have. Being a user of marajuana or other prohibited substances makes you a prohibited person, and means you cannot own a gun legally.

vCash
    I'm for legalization of marijuana, but I actually voted NO on 65 because two people in my family who are medical professionals told me it was poorly worded and would be a mess the way it is written.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    FYI medical marijuana cards prevent you from buying a new gun.
    Extremely false. That dude on talk radio is an idiot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Let me guess...the J.T. Show on Supertalk, lol?

vCash
    No, you are the one who is wrong here.

Directly from the BATF.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/op...poses/download

vCash
    Unlawful user. It states that several times. If you are prescribed, you are NOT an unlawful user. And you would be a dubmass anyway if you answered otherwise. Lawyers will eat this up.

vCash
    Funny to me a very red state doesn’t even know what the hell conservstism is anymore. Small, limited government used to be a agreed upon principle. Now we’ve got idiots who vote against an initiative because you want the legislature to handle it. My god the GOP is deader than dead. Bunch of democrats who don’t even understand what being a conservative means anymore. But hey, that’s why I’m a libertarian.

vCash
    65 will pass. congrats!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    65 will pass. congrats!

Yeaaaaaaah!**

vCash
    Unlawful user. It states that several times. If you are prescribed, you are NOT an unlawful user. And you would be a dubmass anyway if you answered otherwise. Lawyers will eat this up.
    There is no such thing as a user of marihuana that is lawful. As far as the federal government is concerned, all marihuana use is unlawful, which is clearly explained in the letter I linked from the ATF.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    No, you are the one who is wrong here.

Directly from the BATF.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/op...poses/download
    That's a little screwed up to include pot in there but then again it's the Fed Govt ... I'll bet those guys in Colorado laugh at that but I think fed law would over-ride state law in matters like this ... oh well, screw the tax revenue and continue to purchase on the black market .... nothing makes much sense when it comes to govt I guess
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Now that 65 has passed, the fear is that property values are in danger of plummeting, since weed shops can be set up anywhere as long as it's (whatever distance) from a church or school.

Just a thought. My wife is a realtor. She is quite concerned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    Now that 65 has passed, the fear is that property values are in danger of plummeting, since weed shops can be set up anywhere as long as it's (whatever distance) from a church or school.

it's gonna take a lot of data to convince folks that this will be the case ... Zoning for that probably won't be any different than retail which means a commercially zoned area probably isn't desirable for residential dwelling for most of us in the first place. I seriously doubt a weed shop going in probably next to a liquor store is going to traumatize the community or potential home buyers .... but I'm wrong a lot.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash

Weed shops are going to set up where the market for their supplies are. I doubt that will be in the middle of a neighborhood in small town Mississippi. But if it does that probably means the residents there support it. Remember when liquor stores and strip clubs were going to ruin the housing market?

vCash
    That's incorrect. There is no federal medical marijuana program that allows for use to be legal.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 11-04-2020 at 09:45 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Funny to me a very red state doesn’t even know what the hell conservstism is anymore. Small, limited government used to be a agreed upon principle. Now we’ve got idiots who vote against an initiative because you want the legislature to handle it. My god the GOP is deader than dead. Bunch of democrats who don’t even understand what being a conservative means anymore. But hey, that’s why I’m a libertarian.
    I think it's you that doesn't understand what conservatism is. It's not conservative (in the little 'c' or political sense) to regulate marijuana through the constitution. It's not a huge conservative issue either way, but it's more conservative to vote against 65. In the little 'c' sense, you don't want to make significant changes in a way that can't easily be modified. You want to do incremental changes with flexibility to adjust as you go forward. In the political conservative sense, you generally don't want to obligate expenditures through constitutional measures. It's also more conservative to lean towards a republican form of government rather than direct democracy.

Politically, conservative has been associated with small government in the past, but that's just been nominally as long as I've been alive. They are for small government compared to democrats, but there's not much of a commitment to small government as a good in and of itself. They want big government in certain areas, it's just way fewer areas, and at a much smaller scale, than what democrats generally want. I'm not aware of them ever being particularly for less regulation for recreational drugs. Did republicans come down in favor of ending prohibition? Did that break down along party lines?

vCash
    Hopefully I'll never need it, but if I do, I will continue to own all of my many firearms. Won't sweat it a bit. Let them come and try to take "my sons " guns away . Lol

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Let me guess...the J.T. Show on Supertalk, lol?
    What dude on the radio? Ever looked up the gun laws? Personally I like to be well informed before I make any vote and definitely don't count on media for that. I can draw my own conclusions without someone spoon feeding me.

vCash

Hasn't happened in any other states. But housing is also overpriced right now too.