Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Initiative 65

vCash

OT: Initiative 65

Proud to see Mississippi pass medical marijuana tomorrow. I believe Mississippians are smart enough to see through the political BS of 65A and vote for 65.
    Along with the flag, we've come a long way in one year. Proud of this state!

vCash
    Agreed, but also don't forget to vote YES on ballot measure 2. Right now, the State House can override the result of any statewide office if the winner doesn't win a majority (not plurality) of the vote AND a majority of the State House districts. No other state legislative body in America has this power, and ours should not either. The voters pick the winners, not the legislature.

"This amendment provides that to be elected Governor, or to
    any other statewide office, a candidate must receive a
    majority of the votes in the general election. If no candidate
    receives a majority of the votes, then a runoff election shall
    be held as provided by general law. The requirement of
    receiving the most votes in a majority of Mississippi House
    of Representative?s districts is removed.
    "

vCash
    People with chronic or intense pain need help, most normal Doctors won’t prescribe opioids or anything that really works (Tylenol is a joke for pain and Ibuprofen while a great pain med can’t be taken with heart probs). I don’t have all the answers but I do know when people have major surgery and can’t get anything for pain.......this is a huge problem. I know there will be YUGE abuse no matter what the outcome, but I can tell you if you or a loved one hurts and can’t get help from their doctor.....you do whatever you have to.....JMO

vCash
    Agree completely. My Mom was prescribed synthetic medical Marijuana in Mississippi right before entering hospice care 6 years ago because real stuff is illegal even on your death bed. She could not tolerate it. Ill never know if she could have tolerated the real thing but her doctor was not surprised and had a few less than stellar comments about the priorities of the state politicians on this topic. Politicians worked hard to make this topic confusing on the ballet so hopefully it passes.

vCash
    My Dad spent his last years crippled and in severe pain. I was pissed he couldn't get medical marijuana. The politicians have had long enough and they ain't done shit. Everyone I know is voting yes to 65.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    My Dad spent his last years crippled and in severe pain. I was pissed he couldn't get medical marijuana. The politicians have had long enough and they ain't done shit. Everyone I know is voting yes to 65.
    This!!!

vCash
    It was interesting that Thomas Dobbs came out against it... and he?s as left as they come.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    It was interesting that Thomas Dobbs came out against it... and he?s as left as they come.
    He knows the state health dept. will struggle to handle it. Theres also concern about Mary J type pill mills but I voted for it. I currently get mine out of state and it's a hassle. Lucky to have friends who can help. I've got treatments in a week and will need it after. Vote yes!
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 11-03-2020 at 09:02 AM.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lastmajordog View Post
    People with chronic or intense pain need help, most normal Doctors won’t prescribe opioids or anything that really works (Tylenol is a joke for pain and Ibuprofen while a great pain med can’t be taken with heart probs). I don’t have all the answers but I do know when people have major surgery and can’t get anything for pain.......this is a huge problem. I know there will be YUGE abuse no matter what the outcome, but I can tell you if you or a loved one hurts and can’t get help from their doctor.....you do whatever you have to.....JMO
    Forget all of that, if someone else in the US of A can buy weed legally, so should people who live in Mississippi. Full stop. No other argument needed. Vote yes to 65 and then vote in 2 years for recreational use. If the legislature are not a bunch of pussies that refuse to do their job, then this should already be legal 100% anyway.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    He knows the state health dept. will struggle to handle it. Theres also concern about Mary J type pill mills but I voted for it. I currently get mine out of state and it's a hassle. Lucky to have friends who can help. I've got treatments in a week and will need it after. Vote yes!
    Again, it should be 100% legal regardless and have nothing to do with the state health department.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Literally every single person I know as well. And none of us are pot guys.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nsvltndog View Post
    Agree completely. My Mom was prescribed synthetic medical Marijuana in Mississippi right before entering hospice care 6 years ago because real stuff is illegal even on your death bed. She could not tolerate it. Ill never know if she could have tolerated the real thing but her doctor was not surprised and had a few less than stellar comments about the priorities of the state politicians on this topic. Politicians worked hard to make this topic confusing on the ballet so hopefully it passes.
    My question is this.....why is it even on the ballot? Legislators are literally sent to Jackson to debate and pass legislation on this type of stuff. When something like this has to be put to a vote, shouldn't we get their salary back or something. Just like a bunch of boomers, refusing to put the work in and actually handlling their responsibility.

Have a vote, put your name next to your vote, or get the 17 out.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    My neighbor ran one of the largest hospitals in MS for several years and the guy is one of the most respected people that I know of. He isn’t against the marijuana issue as a whole but he says that both 65 and 65A are seriously flawed. He basically said 65A is the lesser of 2 evils, I believe b/c it can be fixed more easily than 65. I hope that I am remember the details correctly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Agreed, but also don't forget to vote YES on ballot measure 2. Right now, the State House can override the result of any statewide office if the winner doesn't win a majority (not plurality) of the vote AND a majority of the State House districts. No other state legislative body in America has this power, and ours should not either. The voters pick the winners, not the legislature.

"This amendment provides that to be elected Governor, or to
    any other statewide office, a candidate must receive a
    majority of the votes in the general election. If no candidate
    receives a majority of the votes, then a runoff election shall
    be held as provided by general law. The requirement of
    receiving the most votes in a majority of Mississippi House
    of Representative?s districts is removed.
    "
    I voted yes on pot,
    I voted no on requirement of receiving the most votes. This is how Ronnie got into office.
    I vote no on flag. I did not like the one purposed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    My neighbor ran one of the largest hospitals in MS for several years and the guy is one of the most respected people that I know of. He isn’t against the marijuana issue as a whole but he says that both 65 and 65A are seriously flawed. He basically said 65A is the lesser of 2 evils, I believe b/c it can be fixed more easily than 65. I hope that I am remember the details correctly.
    Correct. I?m 100% for medical marijuana but 65 is not ideal. It is terribly flawed. 65A is a compromise but basically buys more time to get it right. We need to get it right but there is no reason to be confident that that will ever happen.

vCash
    If 65 doesn't pass I have absolutely no confidence in our state legislature doing anything remotely close to the right thing. They've had their chance. Screw them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    This is the issue. If you read them they are both not good. 65 has tax surplus only supporting the medical marijuana program and 65a has too much for the legislature to decide later. They could have done a much better job writing both of these.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    FYI medical marijuana cards prevent you from buying a new gun.

vCash
    I've never smoked weed before in my life, but I will be voting yes to 65

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    FYI medical marijuana cards prevent you from buying a new gun.
    False