Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saban "Your begging them to run the ball"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I agree we need to be able to run the ball. No doubt. We just can't. Course we can't throw either. So there's that.
    Ok, Saban was lying then. I'm sure you are right. SMH.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Zone by itself is no good without the QB being a threat to read it, a TE/Thumper to help on the edge or run Split zone, or an RPO attached to it
    A draw doesnt really work very often against a team rushing 3

To put it in simple terms- our run game is Jr High/middle school level football.
    That's an insult to middle school football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Ok, Saban was lying then. I'm sure you are right. SMH.
    Lying?? Did yo watch it?? He never said they changed there scheme. Not once. But carry on dude.

vCash
    Lying?? Did yo watch it?? He never said they changed there scheme. Not once. But carry on dude.
    Ok buddy. Stick to baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Ok buddy. Stick to baseball.
    You find in that video where he said they changed their scheme. They didn't. They changed their philosophy for a game. But scheme no.

vCash
    You find in that video where he said they changed their scheme. They didn't. They changed their philosophy for a game. But scheme no.
    I agree with this. Heck they had 4 down a majority of the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    Right - it seems like our entire run game is inside zone and draw.
    Literally the only 2 run plays we've ran.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by state66 View Post
    We had 15 attempts for an average of 2.5 yards. Would you rather leach force the run and net 2-3 yards per play and then punt?
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    His called run plays aren't very creative...
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    He needs to bring some creativity to the run game. Zone and draw doesnt cut it.
    I don't disagree with anything any of y'all are saying. But let's remember that running successfully against Bama hasn't been our forte over the past decade. In 2011, we ran it 29 times for 12 yards. In 2012 -- We Believe! -- we ran it 21 times for 47 yards. In 2013, we ran it 29 times for 53 yards. In 2015, we ran in 42 times for 89 yards. In 2016, we ran it 35 times for 94 yards. And in 2018, we ran it 30 times for 44 yards. So averaging 2.5 yards a pop isn't that far from the norm. The difference is that if we have those kinds of rushing stats in any game before, we're effed most years. Now, under Leach, we're supposed to expect to have paltry rushing numbers -- though admittedly not quite this paltry -- overshadowed by massive passing yards. Well, that ain't happening. And it sucks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    I don't disagree with anything any of y'all are saying. But let's remember that running successfully against Bama hasn't been our forte over the past decade. In 2011, we ran it 29 times for 12 yards. In 2012 -- We Believe! -- we ran it 21 times for 47 yards. In 2013, we ran it 29 times for 53 yards. In 2015, we ran in 42 times for 89 yards. In 2016, we ran it 35 times for 94 yards. And in 2018, we ran it 30 times for 44 yards. So averaging 2.5 yards a pop isn't that far from the norm. The difference is that if we have those kinds of rushing stats in any game before, we're effed most years. Now, under Leach, we're supposed to expect to have paltry rushing numbers -- though admittedly not quite this paltry -- overshadowed by massive passing yards. Well, that ain't happening. And it sucks.
    Well, they were playing the run in those days. It’s ridiculous to have comparable rushing stats to those years when we were running into a light box

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by state66 View Post
    We had 15 attempts for an average of 2.5 yards. Would you rather leach force the run and net 2-3 yards per play and then punt?
    that would eliminate the Pic-6's ... so yes I would
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    Well, they were playing the run in those days. It?s ridiculous to have comparable rushing stats to those years when we were running into a light box
    Well by the same token Mullen should have had passing success vs Bama, right? I mean if Mullen gets a pass for poor run stats vs bama because bama played the run, wheras Leach should have been able to run it because he faced a light box, then Mullen should have been able to pass it since all the defenders were up. Lets look at the same years as Prediction? Pain used but for passing:

2011: 150 yards on 30 attempts (4.0 per pass). 2012: 209 on 36 passes (5.8, with 1 int). 2013: 144 on 29 passes (5.0, 1 int). 2015: 305 on 45 (6.8, 1 int). 2016: 180 on 43 (4.2, 1 int). 2018 (so JoMo): 125 on 20 (6.3)

So all those years where Mullen had HIS guys that had spent years in HIS system, where he played a Bama team that stacked the box, and he couldn't pass. With Senior Dak (who next year had the best NFL rookie QB season ever) they still had a mediocre passing game and less than 400 total yards. I fail to see the basic difference between being passing team that can't pass or run on a light box vs being a run team that can't run on a stacked box or pass vs a single high safety. At least Leach in in his first year.

For the record, I don't think Leach will work and I do think he needs to add creativity to the run game. But fact of the matter is Mullen's O was almost always embarrassed. Shit often he had less than 200 total yards with 100% guys he recruited for his system.

No, the alarm bells going off should have NOTHING to do with the bama game. It should have to do with the 3 before it, the lack of effort on O, and the lack of adjustments from Leach
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 11-03-2020 at 08:56 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    Well by the same token Mullen should have had passing success vs Bama, right? I mean if Mullen gets a pass for poor run stats vs bama because bama played the run, wheras Leach should have been able to run it because he faced a light box, then Mullen should have been able to pass it since all the defenders were up. Lets look at the same years as Prediction? Pain used but for passing:

2011: 150 yards on 30 attempts (4.0 per pass). 2012: 209 on 36 passes (5.8, with 1 int). 2013: 144 on 29 passes (5.0, 1 int). 2015: 305 on 45 (6.8, 1 int). 2016: 180 on 43 (4.2, 1 int). 2018 (so JoMo): 125 on 20 (6.3)

So all those years where Mullen had HIS guys that had spent years in HIS system, where he played a Bama team that stacked the box, and he couldn't pass. With Senior Dak (who next year had the best NFL rookie QB season ever) they still had a mediocre passing game and less than 400 total yards. I fail to see the basic difference between being passing team that can't pass or run on a light box vs being a run team that can't run on a stacked box or pass vs a single high safety. At least Leach in in his first year.

For the record, I don't think Leach will work and I do think he needs to add creativity to the run game. But fact of the matter is Mullen's O was almost always embarrassed. Shit often he had less than 200 total yards with 100% guys he recruited for his system.

No, the alarm bells going off should have NOTHING to do with the bama game. It should have to do with the 3 before it, the lack of effort on O, and the lack of adjustments from Leach
    I don't think mullen ever put up three games in a row of rushing totals like this...
    Kentucky - 20
    aTm - -2
    Bama - 37

Wanna see an alarming trend?

Opp/Total yards/opponent def yds game allowed

LSU/ 632/ 478.6
    Ark/ 400/ 423.4
    Kentucky/ 295/ 355.3
    aTm/ 217/ 375.8
    Bama/ 200/ 389.2

We put up 36.2% of our total yards in week 1. We seem to be getting worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't think mullen ever put up three games in a row of rushing totals like this...
    Kentucky - 20
    aTm - -2
    Bama - 37

LSU/ 632/ 478.6
    Ark/ 400/ 423.4
    Kentucky/ 295/ 355.3
    aTm/ 217/ 375.8
    Bama/ 200/ 389.2

I'm not defending Leach anymore, I just don't think a terrible offensive game Vs Bama should be held against him when the best coach in our history had multiple even worse games vs Bama well after he had his O socked with "his guys".

You point out the issues I do agree are actually alarming. The O is dogshit and it has been since LSU. I don't get why the Bama game seems to have been the tipping point for many- seems like that should come the week before or the week after, but not vs a team we've never been able to move the ball on in any system

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Kentucky - 20
    aTm - -2
    Bama - 37

LSU/ 632/ 478.6
    Ark/ 400/ 423.4
    Kentucky/ 295/ 355.3
    aTm/ 217/ 375.8
    Bama/ 200/ 389.2

Don't bring facts here

vCash
    No one in their right mind can defend anything going on at this point. I'm sure Leach is telling Cohen, but wait till I get my players in here. Like Croom said we were just about to turn the corner (after 5 years) and I just need more time, it takes time to build anything. So build for 15 years for one year of success? Doesn't work that way.

vCash
    It'd help if we quit covering up inside wr with outside wr on running plays. Dead give away it's a run. Bama saw it and rolled their coverage down and added a guy to the box. Watch the drive that starts with about 11 minutes left in fourth quarter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    It'd help if we quit covering up inside wr with outside wr on running plays. Dead give away it's a run. Bama saw it and rolled their coverage down and added a guy to the box. Watch the drive that starts with about 11 minutes left in fourth quarter.
    The past 4 weeks it has been like the D knew our plays. They come up on the run, they jump our routes. They have figured out the 10 plays we run. Game over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    The past 4 weeks it has been like the D knew our plays. They come up on the run, they jump our routes. They have figured out the 10 plays we run. Game over.
    10? More like 5

vCash
    Sounds like leach will never do it, but man this offense could work if he added the zone read and 3-5 QB runs. Will seems too small right now to take that beating but if we can get 20 pounds on him this offseason I think he?s athletic enough to do it. Moot point though with Leach I guess

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vv83 View Post
    Sounds like leach will never do it, but man this offense could work if he added the zone read and 3-5 QB runs. Will seems too small right now to take that beating but if we can get 20 pounds on him this offseason I think he?s athletic enough to do it. Moot point though with Leach I guess
    That option currently resides in the transfer portal
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.