Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: we have shitty WRs and we are trying to run the Air Raid

vCash
    The real reason this version of the AR doesn't work in the SEC are the following
    1. the size and physicality of the SEC DL
    2. The speed of the DL and LBs create pressure on the OL and forces the QB to make hurried throws to the short routes. The speed of the LBs take away those passes from being big gainers.
    3. Wide splits allows DL to utilize spin moves as well as stunts and shifts without having to blitz from LB or safety's. When DL can get pressure on QB it's a free for all in the routes for corners and safety's
    4. Secondary can play zone give up short routes and make tackles on underneath routes. Lack of a running threat allows all secondary to play off ball, no play action or threat of a run means no bite from corners or safety's.
    Closing: it ain't about WRs as OP stated it's the fact there's to much speed on on the SEC defense that the ML Air Raid won't work.

vCash
    Shitty WRs, shitty OL play, shitty QB play, and a one dimensional scheme.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    The real reason this version of the AR doesn't work in the SEC are the following
    1. the size and physicality of the SEC DL
    2. The speed of the DL and LBs create pressure on the OL and forces the QB to make hurried throws to the short routes. The speed of the LBs take away those passes from being big gainers.
    3. Wide splits allows DL to utilize spin moves as well as stunts and shifts without having to blitz from LB or safety's. When DL can get pressure on QB it's a free for all in the routes for corners and safety's
    4. Secondary can play zone give up short routes and make tackles on underneath routes. Lack of a running threat allows all secondary to play off ball, no play action or threat of a run means no bite from corners or safety's.
    Closing: it ain't about WRs as OP stated it's the fact there's to much speed on on the SEC defense that the ML Air Raid won't work.
    Basically the only way it'll be somewhat successful is if we have the best pass blocking OL in the conference, multiple high 4 and 5 star receivers that are willing to be patient in learning the scheme, and a smart, accurate QB. Which is basically the same excuses people said for Croom's WCO and Moorhead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    Basically the only way it'll be somewhat successful is if we have the best pass blocking OL in the conference, multiple high 4 and 5 star receivers that are willing to be patient in learning the scheme, and a smart, accurate QB. Which is basically the same excuses people said for Croom's WCO and Moorhead.
    I wouldn't say that. I think at MSU we have to run a variation of the Mullen offense. We can get those types of athletes all day everyday. But the Air Raid in its current state is not going to work here or anywhere the SEC. and don't give me look at UK in 97 and 98.. SEC is a diff kind of monster theses days

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    I wouldn't say that. I think at MSU we have to run a variation of the Mullen offense. We can get those types of athletes all day everyday. But the Air Raid in its current state is not going to work here or anywhere the SEC. and don't give me look at UK in 97 and 98.. SEC is a diff kind of monster theses days
    No I agree with you. I was implying that its impossible for it to work since it would basically take the most talented roster in college football for it to work here. And in that case, almost any offense would work if you had Alabama talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    The title alone should get this thread locked. I hope I never understand the level of insecurity it takes to make an adult feel good about trashing college kids, many of whom are doing the best they can. If you are going to critique, learn to be respectful about it.

Also, some of you keep talking about better receivers. We need better effort from some and execution from most. But Leach's system has never needed top shelf talent at that position. It is not designed to need those kind of players. A guy like Crabtree is just a bonus that adds another weapon. So that can not be used for an excuse. Execution and experience can.
    DUDE-if you are a WRs that has his feeling hurt--then do something about it. Like quit letting dbs take the ball away from you. What would be your description of our wide outs. Leach has said they don't play hard and finish their routes (shitty) .too many times we have 2 wideouts in the same spot (shitty). if it is a 50-50 ball it might as well be 0-100 (shitty). We continue to run routes short of the first down (shitty). we don't have 1 go to guy-(shitty). I am still waiting for some one to give Me 1 SEC talent that we have ? Kylin Hill was our best receiver and a SEC talent--who else?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    DUDE-if you are a WRs that has his feeling hurt--then do something about it. Like quit letting dbs take the ball away from you. What would be your description of our wide outs. Leach has said they don't play hard and finish their routes (shitty) .too many times we have 2 wideouts in the same spot (shitty). if it is a 50-50 ball it might as well be 0-100 (shitty). We continue to run routes short of the first down (shitty). we don't have 1 go to guy-(shitty). I am still waiting for some one to give Me 1 SEC talent that we have ? Kylin Hill was our best receiver and a SEC talent--who else?
    I gave you my description of our wrs in the beginning of the second paragraph. It doesn't surprise me that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    I gave you my description of our wrs in the beginning of the second paragraph. It doesn't surprise me that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.
    that is a description--sounds like Joe Biden wrote it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    Yep so basically it is never going to work.

Answer me another question, if Bama ran the air raid, how good would it be compared to what they do now?

Short answer is it would not be near as good as the O they run now with the same talent. Scheme and playcalling really matter, a lot.

vCash
    LOOKS LIKE MIKE AGREES WITH ME-------------TARKVILLE ? You can count on one hand how many words Mississippi State coach Mike Leach needed when asked what his wide receivers must do to improve the effectiveness of its overwhelmed offense.

"They need to play hard," Leach said on Wednesday's SEC teleconference.

That's it? It's that simple?

"I think that would be a huge starting point, yeah," Leach added.

Leach's succinct thoughts on Mississippi State's wideouts came two days after he called that unit "below average" in its play during the first half of the season. He had more to say about that group Monday.

Leach said the wide receivers have talent and ability, but they have a hard time focusing for long periods of time. He feels they take too many plays off when they should be locked in for each and every one of them.

He said they are not always true to their assignments either.

"When we're trying to stretch the field, we'll have too many guys try to make judgments on whether the ball is coming to them," Leach said. "And if they don't think it's coming to them, they'll gear down on the route. Then that negatively impacts the other people out there running routes and the whole dimension of the play."

vCash
    We've had the worst WRs in P5 for a few years. No one is surprised by that. They're not good. Never have been. But they're only a portion of the problem.

vCash
    Gotta love a new coach calling out players already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    They probably take it a lot less personally than our fans.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    LOOKS LIKE MIKE AGREES WITH ME-------------TARKVILLE ? You can count on one hand how many words Mississippi State coach Mike Leach needed when asked what his wide receivers must do to improve the effectiveness of its overwhelmed offense.

"They need to play hard," Leach said on Wednesday's SEC teleconference.

That's it? It's that simple?

"I think that would be a huge starting point, yeah," Leach added.

Leach's succinct thoughts on Mississippi State's wideouts came two days after he called that unit "below average" in its play during the first half of the season. He had more to say about that group Monday.

Leach said the wide receivers have talent and ability, but they have a hard time focusing for long periods of time. He feels they take too many plays off when they should be locked in for each and every one of them.

He said they are not always true to their assignments either.

"When we're trying to stretch the field, we'll have too many guys try to make judgments on whether the ball is coming to them," Leach said. "And if they don't think it's coming to them, they'll gear down on the route. Then that negatively impacts the other people out there running routes and the whole dimension of the play."
    And what makes it even more depressing is I don't see it getting any better next year. Yeah we have 2 4stars committed in Knox and Nabers but they aren't the kind of talents that can come in next year and turn it around. So we better hope all this talk about more reps really pays off for our current crop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    They probably take it a lot less personally than our fans.
    Absolutely. Our fans are so soft when it comes to a coach calling out his players. Great coaches have been doing this for years. The crazy thing is Leach is always in the same breath saying "we have to do a better job coaching them", but that part is ignored.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Somebody needs to. We've been watching the same crap from the same guys for too long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Somebody needs to. We've been watching the same crap from the same guys for too long.
    I just think coaching is just as much to blame

vCash
    Yes but you do that at practice - like a long time ago instead of waiting after 5 games. You don't do it at a press conference. They will just shut it down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Yes but you do that at practice - like a long time ago instead of waiting after 5 games. You don't do it at a press conference. They will just shut it down.
    Well, there's a reason one wasn't starting. And they're told at practice. They've been called out before. As far as shutting it down, that's what they're being blasted for, they're quitters. And it's not all of them. It's only a couple. This program was pussified the last couple years and neglected a couple years before that.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 11-04-2020 at 07:52 PM.

vCash
    Well, there's a reason one wasn't starting. And they're told at practice. They've been called out before. As far as shutting it down, that's what they're being blasted for, they're quitters. And it's not all of them. It's only a couple. This program was pussified the last couple years and neglected a couple years before that.
    I agree about state of the culture but cut out the cancer and don't let it spread if that is the case. Don't keep letting it go on week after week. After 5 weeks he blames WR engagement at a press conference? The press conference shouldn't be where that is handled. Not saying there isn't issues. Two wrongs ain't gonna fix anything but lead to more resentment and hence my comment more will shut it down. I've seen that play out too many times.