Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Starkville and Ath Dept survive a 3 yr rebuild

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Yes, in part.
    Wait till he loses to Georgia again, that will be pressure.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Wait till he loses to Georgia again, that will be pressure.
    You mean losing to Upig and KY is not enough pressure?

vCash
    Starkville we'll do just fine, it's just like any other medium size town. Plus it has a +20,000 student population 8 months out of the year and a large number of well paid employees that live there year round that other medium size towns don't have.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    You mean losing to Upig and KY is not enough pressure?
    Pay attention that was a reply to a post about Mullen being pressured to go to Florida.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    He went to Florida because of high pressure from Mississippi State??
    Yes, that played a role in him wanting out. We were pretty dang close to firing him a couple of times and a lot of people didn't really realize that I don't believe.

Pressure from the adminstration and the fanbase.

That is why realistic expectations are so important and our fanbase is full of people that have extremely unrealistic expectations.

Where we are at currently, going anywhere from 6-6 to 9-3 with a shot at making a run every 4 or 5 years should be sufficient for everybody. Unfortunately, we have fans that think we should be beating Alabama and winning 10 games a year with some regularity while nobody in the rest of the conference is beating them on a regular basis nor are many teams going 10-2 often. Schools that spend way more on football than we do aren't even winning 10 games consistently.

We have the smallest donor base in the conference, we have been outspent by everybody in our conference not named Vanderbilt. Yes, Kentucky, Ole Miss and Missouri donate/spend more on football and recruiting than us.

Money isn't always a good indicator of who will be successful but most of the time it is.

We are potentially dead last in giving as Vandy's numbers are private because they are a private institution.

We have a cheap beer budget fan base and yet, our fans are expecting champagne results. In what other industry/world does that typically lead to success?

Last I looked we are also dead last in recruiting spending and we still have fans that expect us to recruit better than 3/4ths of the conference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Yes, that played a role in him wanting out. We were pretty dang close to firing him a couple of times and a lot of people didn't really realize that I don't believe.

That is why realistic expectations are so important and our fanbase is full of people that have extremely unrealistic expectations.

Where we are at currently, going anywhere from 6-6 to 9-3 with a shot at making a run every 4 or 5 years should be sufficient for everybody. Unfortunately, we have fans that think we should be beating Alabama and winning 10 games a year with some regularity while nobody in the rest of the conference is beating them on a regular basis nor are many teams going 10-2 often. Schools that spend way more on football than we do aren't even winning 10 games consistently.

We have the smallest donor base in the conference, we have been outspent by everybody in our conference not named Vanderbilt. Yes, Kentucky, Ole Miss and Missouri donate/spend more on football and recruiting than us.

Money isn't always a good indicator of who will be successful but most of the time it is.

We are potentially dead last in giving as Vandy's numbers are private because they are a private institution.

We have a cheap beer budget fan base and yet, our fans are expecting champagne results. In what other industry/world does that typically lead to success?

Last I looked we are also dead last in recruiting spending and we still have fans that expect us to recruit better than 3/4ths of the conference.
    ^^^^THIS^^^^

vCash
    Problem is Croom didn't have Covid with it too. Gonna be tough.

vCash

I get your point but we have good facilities and paying a coach 5 mil plus Dan was offered 6 mil. Money didn't seem to be the issue. We paid 2 mil for Moorhead and same results. Money doesn't solve all problems. Bama could pay Saban 20 mil a year, it will not change his NC # one bit. At some point, money has diminishing returns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Not being political, but there is a very good chance a lot of you will have a lot higher taxes and less discretionary income in the future.
    Nah, only way taxes go up is if you make over $400k/year under Biden's plan. Doubtful many here (not "a lot of you") make that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    It will not survive this stupid 25% capacity and no tailgating.
    I think the program/Cohen/Leach are kinda lucky that these rules are in place now. Hard to judge the actual level of interest in going to the games with the pandemic ongoing. If we were in a normal year, I think the stadium would be fairly empty, and the pressure on Cohen would be even higher. Let?s see where we are next fall, but if it?s less than full capacity, it?ll be hard to point to attendance as a reason to fire Leach.

vCash
    BB30 IS SPOT ON!!!!
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    Nah, only way taxes go up is if you make over $400k/year under Biden's plan. Doubtful many here (not "a lot of you") make that.
    Sorry but you're wrong the first thing Joe and Kamala said they're going to do is repeal the Trump tax cut, that will raise my taxes by 10%. You can't believe a damn thing Joe Biden says, he got ran off from running for president years ago, when they found out that he plagiarized somebody's material for a paper he wrote in law school. Then he lied about finishing in the top half of his law school which he didn't, they caught him in that too. They also caught him plagiarizing somebody else in a speech he gave. And if you say that was years ago, he's lying today about not knowing Hunter Biden was peddling his influence to China, Russia and other foreign entities and funneling a % back to the big guy (lying Joe).

vCash
    I?m keeping an eye on the real estate market in Starkville, in case some of the condos come down some.

vCash
    Just the major donors... of course we need those.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    Worst case scenario for football is that fans stop coming and never come back, even if we are competitive again (see MSU basketball). I do not think that will happen because football is a much more popular sport. I think the AD can weather the other issues because of tv money and whatnot. Three years of fan disengagement (close to apathy!) is going to be very tough though.

Starkville is a different animal. The city has grown since the Croom days ? and like many college towns, depends on revenue from football weekends. The effect of fans tapping out hurts Starkville pretty acutely.
    Starkville grew while Croom was the head coach, by about 1500 over his 4-year tenure. It's had fairly steady growth no matter who the head coach was, so it doesn't seem to matter who the coach was or how well the football team was doing. Numbrer of visitors (fans) could be an entirely different matter.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I get your point but we have good facilities and paying a coach 5 mil plus Dan was offered 6 mil. Money didn't seem to be the issue. We paid 2 mil for Moorhead and same results. Money doesn't solve all problems. Bama could pay Saban 20 mil a year, it will not change his NC # one bit. At some point, money has diminishing returns.
    We have good facilities but not great compared to what the rest of the conference has. Doesn't matter what you pay your coach when we are getting out spent on the recruiting trail significantly by just about everybody. You can say money doesn't matter and that there is a diminishing return but it seems as though if that were the case Bama wouldn't still be hiring analysts and spending almost 4 times as much as us on recruiting.

How many analysts do we have on staff? Do we have the money to hire former head coaches like Sark and Freeze to be analysts? I know he didn't get Freeze but he sure tried and would have had the SEC not stepped in.

He at one point had 3 analysts that were former power 5 head coaches. If you don't think that helps when gameplanning etc. I can't help you.

We certainly have not reached the law of diminishing returns yet with what we spend. And you can't expect UF/LSU/Auburn results when you spend what we spend.

I'm not even including Bama and UGA in that list. It seems like our fans expect results similar to Auburn and yet they outspend us close to 3 times the rate. Again, in what industry does that typically lead to success and why is college football different?

vCash
    Uh no. He's already said he would repeal the trump tax cuts. That's EVERY tax paying person.!!

vCash
    We have good facilities but not great compared to what the rest of the conference has. Doesn't matter what you pay your coach when we are getting out spent on the recruiting trail significantly by just about everybody. You can say money doesn't matter and that there is a diminishing return but it seems as though if that were the case Bama wouldn't still be hiring analysts and spending almost 4 times as much as us on recruiting.

How many analysts do we have on staff? Do we have the money to hire former head coaches like Sark and Freeze to be analysts? I know he didn't get Freeze but he sure tried and would have had the SEC not stepped in.

He at one point had 3 analysts that were former power 5 head coaches. If you don't think that helps when gameplanning etc. I can't help you.

We certainly have not reached the law of diminishing returns yet with what we spend. And you can't expect UF/LSU/Auburn results when you spend what we spend.

I'm not even including Bama and UGA in that list. It seems like our fans expect results similar to Auburn and yet they outspend us close to 3 times the rate. Again, in what industry does that typically lead to success and why is college football different?
    I think a lot of the problem is we don't know how to be a major SEC program. We could easily spend more money and invest more in recruiting. It seems like they expect Tony Hughes and our off the field guys like Rod Gibson to do all the work. MSU must improve in recruiting to be what we want to be.

vCash

NAILED IT.

vCash

Unfortunately, we have fans that think we should be beating Alabama and winning 10 games a year with some regularity while nobody in the rest of the conference is beating them on a regular basis nor are many teams going 10-2 often
    I don't know a single MSU fan that thinks this way. Not a single one.