Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Starkville and Ath Dept survive a 3 yr rebuild

vCash
    My taxes raised under this administration. Not sure what tax cut you are referring to besides the one for off-shore accounts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    My taxes raised under this administration. Not sure what tax cut you are referring to besides the one for off-shore accounts.
    If your taxes went up while your financial situation remained the same, then that almost certainly means you were having huge SALT deductions, in which case your taxes fixed an inequity, or you had kids old enough to not qualify for the tax credit when you could have claimed an exemption for them before, which either way is roughly equally defensible but certainly sucks personally if you came out on the wrong side of that.

For the vast majority of people, if Biden follows through on his promises to repeal the Trump tax cuts, their tax burden will go up. If breaks that promise and instead he follows his other, mutually exclusive promise to not raise taxes on people making less than $400k, then most people's tax burden will not go up, but our major donors will certainly be hit.

I don't think he'll be able to repeal the trump tax cuts even if he has the senate because a lot of democratic senators are not going to want to use their new majority to immediately raise taxes. I think it's much more likely that the rich will get a tax break by getting rid of the SALT cap and at worst he will raise the highest tax bracket or maybe highest two brackets up a few percent.

vCash
    Survive, yes. Take some severe hits on engagement on all levels, no doubt that is going and already happening.

I bleed maroon and will always support my team but I ain't going to watch pathetic every year for every home game either. I'll watch from home and go to one or two. Just remember how bad attendance got with Croom. Those days will return if this goes on for too long like Croom did.

Next year Leach must show improvement, he doesn't have to win 7 games next year but year 3 he better win more than he loses or stick a fork in him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    We have good facilities but not great compared to what the rest of the conference has. Doesn't matter what you pay your coach when we are getting out spent on the recruiting trail significantly by just about everybody. You can say money doesn't matter and that there is a diminishing return but it seems as though if that were the case Bama wouldn't still be hiring analysts and spending almost 4 times as much as us on recruiting.

How many analysts do we have on staff? Do we have the money to hire former head coaches like Sark and Freeze to be analysts? I know he didn't get Freeze but he sure tried and would have had the SEC not stepped in.

He at one point had 3 analysts that were former power 5 head coaches. If you don't think that helps when gameplanning etc. I can't help you.

We certainly have not reached the law of diminishing returns yet with what we spend. And you can't expect UF/LSU/Auburn results when you spend what we spend.

I'm not even including Bama and UGA in that list. It seems like our fans expect results similar to Auburn and yet they outspend us close to 3 times the rate. Again, in what industry does that typically lead to success and why is college football different?
    Facilities is a funny topic. Bigger doesn't always mean better. Yes there are some bigger and better but there are several that are bigger but not better. At some point, living in a 10,000 sqft house or a 15,000sqft house doesn't really matter if it has all the necessary items. We have all those. If the bling is what makes the difference in us and somewhere else, he won't be happy here anyway.

The town of Starkville that everyone makes fun of ain't as bad as some think either. There are some big name football schools that are in towns that are a dump. I know people at or from those schools that hated it but from the outside everyone thinks they are grand. More media PR misdirection.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I think season tickets is where you'll see the biggest drop. People will always come for the big games(Bama, LSU, UF, UGA, A&M, OM) but most people don't care anything about the other 4-5 home games and only come to see friends, tailgate, etc. With so many people gathering at homes this year and having watch parties because of attendance restrictions I feel like the days of selling out DWS are over. Couple all that with the fact that for at least the next year and probably the next 2-3 we're not going to be competitive in most games, this is going to be a BIG problem for the Athletic dept. and Starkville as a whole.
    Yep. I guess certain fans prefer to watch the Dogs against the teams they have an 80 to 90 % chance of losing and skip the games where they have a 70-80% chance of winning. I guess being in the stadium when that 1 in 10 chance of winning actually happens is just to much to pass up.

i remember when Homecoming was the biggest crowd of the year and we usually beat VPI or Villanova by 40 in this games. Now we fill the stadium to watch Bama or LSU curbstomp us on the chance that we can say ?I was there when we beat the Bear!?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Starkville we'll do just fine, it's just like any other medium size town. Plus it has a +20,000 student population 8 months out of the year and a large number of well paid employees that live there year round that other medium size towns don't have.
    Survive was probably an overstatement but Starkville won't do just fine if it loses say 10,000 fans on average over 7 home games. Even if a lot of those fans don't spend much money other than on a hotel, that will still be a lot of money not pumped into the starkville economy. It will certainly survive and adjust, but there will be some short term pain adjusting to losing that much revenue on a yearly basis and of course it won't grow like it could if it still had that money coming in.

vCash
    I see attendance of 35k more likely being the norm in Fall 2023 than 55K....if that?s the case, Starkville will be more like 1985 than 2019.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I see attendance of 35k more likely being the norm in Fall 2023 than 55K....if that?s the case, Starkville will be more like 1985 than 2019.
    That may be but I wonder what the typical fan we lose looks like. Are the people we lose the ones that drive in, tailgate, and leave? Or the ones that drive in on Friday, eat out Friday night, grab either a quick breakfast or dinner out on saturday depending on the time of the game, and then eat brunch sunday morning on the way out of town. I assume the ones with condos or homes are still coming and that they are typically spending money. I assume will lose some of the ones driving in and driving out, but that they will be the ones to come to a game or two less, not just quit altogether.

I think the ones we're most likely to lose are the ones that are coming in and paying for two nights of hotel rooms at inflated prices and eat out and maybe even shop for their tailgate in starkville. I guess if we are losing those, maybe all that will happen is hotel prices will come down and somebody will replace them if hotel prices drop enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    You mean losing to Upig and KY is not enough pressure?
    I think he's referring to Dan

vCash
    That's why we need to chairback the entire stadium and reduce the capacity down to 45-50K. However, with the pandemic and losing money from season ticket sales I would imagine most construction projects are being put on hold for the moment.

vCash
    State has so many students now. I don't think a 10-20k swing in football attendance is as bad as people think. Sure it helps to have those fans but isn't detrimental to the town to not have them.

Having over 20k in enrollment will allow Starkville to maintain what it has now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Survive was probably an overstatement but Starkville won't do just fine if it loses say 10,000 fans on average over 7 home games. Even if a lot of those fans don't spend much money other than on a hotel, that will still be a lot of money not pumped into the starkville economy. It will certainly survive and adjust, but there will be some short term pain adjusting to losing that much revenue on a yearly basis and of course it won't grow like it could if it still had that money coming in.
    When I started at State in 1973, there was Sonic and Burger Chef. MSU broke 10,000 students that fall and Starkville is still here with a lot more industry than it had then.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    State has so many students now. I don't think a 10-20k swing in football attendance is as bad as people think. Sure it helps to have those fans but isn't detrimental to the town to not have them.

Having over 20k in enrollment will allow Starkville to maintain what it has now.
    And Starkville itself has grown. 1990 it had 18,500+/- residents. 2019 it was estimated at 25,600 +/-. All told between residents and students (and there is some overlap), you easily have 35,000 people between Starkville and campus.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    If six days in the fall make or break your business, you need to consider another line of work.,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Sorry but you're wrong the first thing Joe and Kamala said they're going to do is repeal the Trump tax cut, that will raise my taxes by 10%. You can't believe a damn thing Joe Biden says, he got ran off from running for president years ago, when they found out that he plagiarized somebody's material for a paper he wrote in law school. Then he lied about finishing in the top half of his law school which he didn't, they caught him in that too. They also caught him plagiarizing somebody else in a speech he gave. And if you say that was years ago, he's lying today about not knowing Hunter Biden was peddling his influence to China, Russia and other foreign entities and funneling a % back to the big guy (lying Joe).
    Surely you are kidding.. . . trump character is below negative. He is everything that christian folk say they should NOT represent, lying, stealing, cheating, hypocrite, etc . . . .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grandprairiedog View Post
    Surely you are kidding.. . . trump character is below negative. He is everything that christian folk say they should NOT represent, lying, stealing, cheating, hypocrite, etc . . . .
    How is that different than Biden?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    If six days in the fall make or break your business, you need to consider another line of work.,
    Then there's A LOT of restaurants, bars, hotels, and stores in and around Starkville, Oxford, etc. that need to consider another line of work.

vCash
    How is that different than Biden?
    Trump says terrible things and then does perfectly normal, mainstream republican party things (except not starting wars and brokering MIddle East peace deals).

Biden says things that are perfectly normal, moderate democrat party things and then does terrible things. He also says things that are in line with the most extreme leftists and I don't think he'll follow through with them, although I guess.

They both say pie in teh sky ridiculous things about what they are going to do or have done that aren't remotely within their capability, but they're politicians so kind of have to give them a pass on that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    This is really ignorant. There are lots of retail businesses that can't make it if you take out say, 7 of their 14 biggest weekends. Even outside of retail, lots of businesses would be in trouble if you took away several of their biggest clients, or even just took 7 weeks of revenue away from them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    That's why we need to chairback the entire stadium and reduce the capacity down to 45-50K. However, with the pandemic and losing money from season ticket sales I would imagine most construction projects are being put on hold for the moment.
    This is insane^