Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Starkville and Ath Dept survive a 3 yr rebuild

vCash

Will Starkville and Ath Dept survive a 3 yr rebuild

I expect a huge drop in numbers going forward. I know the hardcore fans and Leach apologists will show up but the silent majority won't care to be there when there's zero excitement. When a coach comes out and tells the fan base "yeah we're gonna basically suck for a while and we'll lose players" that's not really motivation to attend.

Also with basketball attendance at an all time low (even before covid) that leaves just baseball to get people excited. There's gonna be some lean years ahead for some.

vCash
    Yes they will.

They survived Croom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    Yes they will.

They survived Croom.
    Barely..... But I did get some great seats out of that pergatory of a stretch croom put us through.

vCash
    This is pretty dramatic. We've been bad, sometimes really bad, more than we've been good. And even when we are good, we are usually just alright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SPMT View Post
    Yes they will.

They survived Croom.
    Worst case scenario for football is that fans stop coming and never come back, even if we are competitive again (see MSU basketball). I do not think that will happen because football is a much more popular sport. I think the AD can weather the other issues because of tv money and whatnot. Three years of fan disengagement (close to apathy!) is going to be very tough though.

Starkville is a different animal. The city has grown since the Croom days — and like many college towns, depends on revenue from football weekends. The effect of fans tapping out hurts Starkville pretty acutely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    Worst case scenario for football is that fans stop coming and never come back, even if we are competitive again (see MSU basketball). I do not think that will happen because football is a much more popular sport. I think the AD can weather the other issues because of tv money and whatnot. Three years of fan disengagement (close to apathy!) is going to be very tough though.

Starkville is a different animal. The city has grown since the Croom days ? and like many college towns, depends on revenue from football weekends. The effect of fans tapping out hurts Starkville pretty acutely.
    I don't think fans never come back, but I do think there is a risk that a lot of fans stop coming back, or more likely, stop coming back as season ticket holders. I know professional sports have other things going on like just being out of season for them and having players and ownership that have a lot of views on the US, cops, and the military that antagonize a lot of their core fans, but I think a decent part of their ratings drop is that people just didn't miss it that much when it was gone, or at least found other stuff that has so far kept their attention.

Making even five weekend treks to starkville in a football season is a lot of work if you're not within two hours, which a lot of our fan base isn't. Even if you are within two hours and can pretty reasonably drive in and out, that's still a hassle and I'd be shocked if a lot of people driving back after the game don't at least think about how nice it'd be at their house or making a ten minute drive after watching the game with friends somewhere, which granted if the condo market takes a step back because of teh football team stinking, we will be more likely to do that.

And that's before even talking about the money. You start thinking about how much work it is, and the fact that you could take one or two trips a year to starkville and still save enough money to go on a decent vacation, and I think we'll see some people just not come back as season ticket holders. That's sort of what happened to us. We had to stop going because work and kids schedule just wouldn't allow it. We've always said we'll start going again in a few years, but I'm thinking it's likely that it will be a one or two game a year deal unless and until we decide to buy a place up there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    This is pretty dramatic. We've been bad, sometimes really bad, more than we've been good. And even when we are good, we are usually just alright.
    I think its a very real situation, especially when businesses are closing down or barely getting by already because of covid lockdowns. And times have changed as it regards to people's attention. Its a whole lot easier to find other things to do, not to mention that youth sports takes up a whole lot more time than it used to for parents. You better win now or at least show something to get their attention or they'll check out and won't come back.

vCash
    Yes.

We still have baseball which will feed the community. We are one of maybe 16 schools that can use baseball to feed the community’s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I don't think fans never come back, but I do think there is a risk that a lot of fans stop coming back, or more likely, stop coming back as season ticket holders. I know professional sports have other things going on like just being out of season for them and having players and ownership that have a lot of views on the US, cops, and the military that antagonize a lot of their core fans, but I think a decent part of their ratings drop is that people just didn't miss it that much when it was gone, or at least found other stuff that has so far kept their attention.

Making even five weekend treks to starkville in a football season is a lot of work if you're not within two hours, which a lot of our fan base isn't. Even if you are within two hours and can pretty reasonably drive in and out, that's still a hassle and I'd be shocked if a lot of people driving back after the game don't at least think about how nice it'd be at their house or making a ten minute drive after watching the game with friends somewhere, which granted if the condo market takes a step back because of teh football team stinking, we will be more likely to do that.

And that's before even talking about the money. You start thinking about how much work it is, and the fact that you could take one or two trips a year to starkville and still save enough money to go on a decent vacation, and I think we'll see some people just not come back as season ticket holders. That's sort of what happened to us. We had to stop going because work and kids schedule just wouldn't allow it. We've always said we'll start going again in a few years, but I'm thinking it's likely that it will be a one or two game a year deal unless and until we decide to buy a place up there.
    I think season tickets is where you'll see the biggest drop. People will always come for the big games(Bama, LSU, UF, UGA, A&M, OM) but most people don't care anything about the other 4-5 home games and only come to see friends, tailgate, etc. With so many people gathering at homes this year and having watch parties because of attendance restrictions I feel like the days of selling out DWS are over. Couple all that with the fact that for at least the next year and probably the next 2-3 we're not going to be competitive in most games, this is going to be a BIG problem for the Athletic dept. and Starkville as a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    I expect a huge drop in numbers going forward. I know the hardcore fans and Leach apologists will show up but the silent majority won't care to be there when there's zero excitement. When a coach comes out and tells the fan base "yeah we're gonna basically suck for a while and we'll lose players" that's not really motivation to attend.

Also with basketball attendance at an all time low (even before covid) that leaves just baseball to get people excited. There's gonna be some lean years ahead for some.
    Good grief, it's been worse, way worse.

vCash
    Yes. Starkville will be fine.

State has about 10-15k hardcore fans. Fans that will buy season tickets and bring their significant other and kids regardless of the success of the team. So I believe you are looking at 30k at least. Then add in visitors and those that go to one game a year.... 40-45K.

With that said, I don't think you'll see attendance in high demand anywhere in the sec except the schools that compete for the sec and nc title that particular year. Tickets prices have gotten to expensive. The tv product is to good and a much cheaper alternative.

vCash
    It will not survive this stupid 25% capacity and no tailgating.

vCash
    Eh, go through Starkville on a weekend. There are still plenty of people out and about. We went a couple of weekends ago on a non football weekend and I was amazed at all of the people that were out shopping/eating/doing things.

The construction boom that we had seen from 2009-2017 probably won't be quite the same especially with all of the condo sales etc. But local restaurants and businesses should survive and be fine if that weekend was any indication of what it will continue to be like.

It still blows my mind that people wanted Mullen gone/fired. Half of our fanbase didn't realize how good of a coach he was for us. I had heard he was on the chopping block regardless in 17 if he didn't put a decent season together. That is asinine. He was a huge part of the reason Starkville blew up with new construction etc. No telling how much he made for the Starkville businesses and communities.

There isn't a number you could have paid him that would have been too much compared to the gross income he was drawing for all of these businesses simply by putting a decent product on the field. From what I have come to understand he was job hunting due to pressure from the fanbase and our administration. I don't know how much truth there is to that but it came from someone I genuinely trust that typically doesn't just say things to say them, he said that the ******* actually enjoyed being in Starkville and weren't necessarily looking to leave every year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Eh, go through Starkville on a weekend. There are still plenty of people out and about. We went a couple of weekends ago on a non football weekend and I was amazed at all of the people that were out shopping/eating/doing things.

The construction boom that we had seen from 2009-2017 probably won't be quite the same especially with all of the condo sales etc. But local restaurants and businesses should survive and be fine if that weekend was any indication of what it will continue to be like.

It still blows my mind that people wanted Mullen gone/fired. Half of our fanbase didn't realize how good of a coach he was for us. I had heard he was on the chopping block regardless in 17 if he didn't put a decent season together. That is asinine. He was a huge part of the reason Starkville blew up with new construction etc. No telling how much he made for the Starkville businesses and communities.

There isn't a number you could have paid him that would have been too much compared to the gross income he was drawing for all of these businesses simply by putting a decent product on the field. From what I have come to understand he was job hunting due to pressure from the fanbase and our administration. I don't know how much truth there is to that but it came from someone I genuinely trust that typically doesn't just say things to say them, he said that the ******* actually enjoyed being in Starkville and weren't necessarily looking to leave every year.
    He went to Florida because of high pressure from Mississippi State??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    He went to Florida because of high pressure from Mississippi State??
    Yes, in part.

vCash
    Don't expect anything next season, I just hope we can become more competitive in our losses. You know it's one of those dreaded odd year schedules where you can pencil in 3 to 4 conference losses regardless of how good we are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    It will not survive this stupid 25% capacity and no tailgating.
    Yes - this is more of an issue than our on field performance. If this maintains through next season, some fans will shift their attention to other hobbies.

vCash
    You mean at least 5 year. Because after Mike Leach dessimates us in his 3 years it will take the next guy at least 2 or 3 to field a semblance of a competitive team.

vCash
    Starkville will definitely suffer... I even have tickets this year, but most likely my last until Cohen is gone. Not being political, but there is a very good chance a lot of you will have a lot higher taxes and less discretionary income in the future.

vCash
    Mississippi State needs to hire a new President first. Then we need a new AD. When we finally give up on Leach we can hopefully find a coach that can design an offence around the players he has available rather than the Moorhead/Leach square peg round hole method.