Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: You have the keys to the DeLorean and you're MSU AD....it post season 2017

vCash
    Satterfield
    Then Napier
    Then maybe even Geoff Collins

What really sucks is that Sloppy Joe was almost perfect on paper. He just didn’t have what it takes even though he had pretty much every credential except P5 head coaching experience on his resume.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    Satterfield
    Then Napier
    Then maybe even Geoff Collins

What really sucks is that Sloppy Joe was almost perfect on paper. He just didn’t have what it takes even though he had pretty much every credential except P5 head coaching experience on his resume.
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets another shot somewhere in the Big 10 or PAC 12 and does OK. Like Maryland or somewhere like that. I think he's going to end up being our version of Orgeron.

vCash
    I just want the keys to the DeLorean.

2nd Half Playcaller
    vCash
    I still believe Moorehead will be a good coach too. He just has to learn discipline. As far as offense i believe he will do good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyripms View Post
    I still believe Moorehead will be a good coach too. He just has to learn discipline. As far as offense i believe he will do good.
    Exactly. And I'm sure he learned a lot about that while at MSU. The thing is once you lose control it's over and there is no turning back. I think that's what happened- and I think at some point he realized it and started to act kind of crazy- going off on fans in press conferences and things like that.

vCash
    My personal theory is that Ryan Day was Cohen’s first choice and he turned us down because he had some assurances about being the heir apparent for the Ohio State job. MSU people have never focused on this much but it’s been talked about a bit by Ohio State and national sources.

That’s an interesting what if though. He is another Meyer disciple and in a lot of ways a Mullen clone. He simply got his big job quicker than Dan did.

vCash
    Thinking about this original question- I will say that MSU we need to know what we REALLY are. In the SEC we're on the lower end of the conference spectrum. Nationally we are actually pretty good though. In terms of resources and pay we're easily top 30-40. If not higher.

So my point is we are good enough that we shouldn't have to settle for coordinators with no head coaching experience. That model has had about a 25% recent success rate for us- Felker, Croom, and Moorhead didn't work and only Dan did. I think we should follow the model that South Carolina has followed for the most part and hire experienced head coaches that are retreads (Holtz and Spurrier) or are guys like Leach have been known for doing more with less. Looking at that- Bellard was successful with much fewer resources until his recruiting caught up to him. Jackie was successful. The jury is still out on Leach but history says most likely that he will be successful. Even if Leach doesn't work out- worst case scenario we're looking a 67% success compared to 25% with assistants. With a chance at this point of the veteran guys getting to 100% best case still.

For example- we probably could hire someone like Les Miles, Mark Richt, or Rich Rodriguez if we wanted to. In a few years we probably could get someone like Mahlzahn after he leaves Auburn. I think Leach falls into this category as well.

Joe Judge could be interesting if he is available for our next coaching search too. I would be fine with an exception like that because he is an alum and I would think he would want to do really well here.

Not that I want any of these guys that I mentioned- just that we should adjust our coaching targets for football in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    My personal theory is that Ryan Day was Cohen’s first choice and he turned us down because he had some assurances about being the heir apparent for the Ohio State job. MSU people have never focused on this much but it’s been talked about a bit by Ohio State and national sources.

That’s an interesting what if though. He is another Meyer disciple and in a lot of ways a Mullen clone. He simply got his big job quicker than Dan did.
    You're right. And I think Day did get the Ohio State job that offseason or not long after? Bad luck for us. Another MSU "what if"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Hire Leach then and we'd be 4-1 right now.
    Agree. And we would have 4 and maybe 5 stars on offense across the board on skill sets.
    We would have stability in a program, and possibly grooming a younger coach for down the road.
    I still want to see the Air Raid with a qb that can make the correct reads, and in 2.5 seconds, with accuracy. Rogers is showing the glimpses of that possibility. We need the WR with elite speed to really take the top off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'm still on clawson bc he continues to win with a talent deficit. This should always be a factor when choosing a coach here... certainly not the only factor, but 1 for sure.

ETA... this is one of the main reasons I liked leach as a hire. Had no idea the 3-8 was such a killer to him.
    Same here. I also thought he would make adjustments to the style of defense here. I didn't realize he was Moorehead level stubborn.

vCash
    Dave Clawson is a good football coach who has won at literally every stop along the way. He'd be my first choice. Neal Brown would be my second.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Just stop. Be objective.
    I'm always among the most objective posters here. I wanted to put 5-0, but that would be homerish.

With a halfway competent offense we beat Kentucky and A&M, and only needed about 10% more competence or luck to beat Arkansas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised at all if he gets another shot somewhere in the Big 10 or PAC 12 and does OK. Like Maryland or somewhere like that. I think he's going to end up being our version of Orgeron.
    Maybe. If he can figure out the discipline thing from day 1, he’s got a much better chance
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I think a few names you'd go back and look at would've been Neal Brown, Lane Kiffin, Dana Holgorsen, Scott Satterfield, and Todd Grantham. There's no way around it, we rushed the hire. I think Cohen would admit that much. If I had to make the hire though, it probably would've been Brown or Kiffin. Both ran similar offenses to what we were running at the time and could've kept us rolling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    You're right. And I think Day did get the Ohio State job that offseason or not long after? Bad luck for us. Another MSU "what if"?
    Day didn't get the OSU job permanently until Urban retired after 2018 (after Day was the interim coach for a few games because of the Zach Smith stuff). Day also turned down the OC job with Titans the same offseason he turned us down, so that really makes it seem like he had a strong indication Urban was getting close to being done and he was in line to be the next guy.

It's incredibly likely that even if we were able to hire Day, he would've left within a couple of years. But we'd still be in a better situation than we are now I would imagine.

One issue with Mullen during his time here was that he didn't develop much of a coaching tree with his offensive assistants. Nobody has ever tried to hire Knox, Hevesy, or Billy G as a head coach, and they were never remotely considered for our job. It seems like maybe Brian Johnson is getting to that level now that he's been promoted to OC at Florida, but Johnson wasn't at that level 3-4 years ago when he was just the QB coach here. So we didn't have anybody on staff that we could've promoted with any confidence to keep the train rolling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Indndawg View Post
    knowing what you know............what would YOU do post Don *******?
    I think I would have had serious discussions with Todd Grantham ..... he might have worked with the right OC on staff or he may have been a disaster but he waited for just a little while waiting on that phone call that never came and then he finally accepted ******* offer at Florida ... I think he was interested but then again we would have been going the coordinator route .... I don't blame Cohen for taking a chance on what appeared to be a pretty good offensive mind and he cut bait when he saw it wasn't working but if we were going to go the coordinator route then T Grantham was def worth a look ........ I don't blame him for hiring ML. It's gonna take something unusual or different to make a difference here and I think ML should at least get three years here if he shows the flexibility to adapt where he needs it
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Hire Leach then and we'd be 4-1 right now.
    Hire Leach after Mullen and in 2018 we'd have Leach and Gardner Minshew transferring in plus the #1 NCAA defense. I love that!

Leach/WSU/Minshew went 11-2 in 2018 with a defense no where close to MSU's 2018 #1 defense, so imagine the combo above. HOWEVER, even though Minshew was a year 1 guy at Washington State, the rest of the team had been there for years.

So would Leach still have had first season growing pains in 2018, even with an NFL QB and NFL players on defense? Did we have the WR and OL in 2018 to quickly learn the air raid in a spring and fall or would we still be seeing some of the problems we see here now?
    Last edited by MedDawg; 11-03-2020 at 11:26 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    Hire Leach after Mullen and in 2018 we'd have Leach and Gardner Minshew transferring in plus the #1 NCAA defense. I love that!

Leach/WSU/Minshew went 11-2 in 2018 with a defense no where close to MSU's 2018 #1 defense, so imagine the combo above. HOWEVER, even though Minshew was a year 1 guy at Washington State, the rest of the team had been there for years.

So would Leach still have had first season growing pains in 2018, even with an NFL QB and NFL players on defense? Did we have the WR and OL in 2018 to quickly learn the air raid in a spring and fall or would we still be seeing some of the problems we see here now?
    You would have the exact same problems you're having now. You'd have an even better defense though and still have an offense who was schematically out of place. Now having a spring would've helped but it wouldn't magically give you better receivers. I mean do you really think Mitchell or Guidry make massive jumps? Would've been fun to see Dedrick Thomas in this offense and I think Mixon probably stays.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Dave Clawson is a good football coach who has won at literally every stop along the way. He'd be my first choice. Neal Brown would be my second.
    These were my first two choices for 2017 as well although Matt Campbell was my dream hire. What Clawson has done at WF is pretty remarkable considering they have sun belt level talent. Neal Brown I figured would be most realistic and it seemed like it would?ve been a perfect fit for both MSU and Brown. I live near Morgantown WV and follow Brown closely. He is doing a fantastic job there after he had to completely blow up the program. Anyone wanting Holgerson he was a big mess at WVU and created a train wreck just like Moorhead if not worse.