Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You have the keys to the DeLorean and you're MSU AD....it post season 2017

vCash

You have the keys to the DeLorean and you're MSU AD....it post season 2017

knowing what you know............what would YOU do post Don *******?

vCash
    I'd hire Neal brown or Dave clawson

vCash
    Saterfield was the guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Saterfield was the guy.
    This

vCash
    This is tough for me because I think the guarantees out there aren't going to ever come to MSU.

So 3 years ago it's a risk no matter who you get. And that's because at MSU we have to hire risks. Satterfield is sitting at 2-5 this year. But 3 years ago we are talking about hiring him as the Appalachian State head coach. That's a risk. Ryan Day was a risk to go after. His success at Ohio State can't be measured against HC potential at MSU.

The problem here is that there is no template for what will be good for us. Mullen is a northern roots guy that rode Urban Meyer for a long time. But there was practically no way he was going to be worse than Croom. So now we dangle $5 million out there and get Mike Leach. Who is a risk. So for me, 3 years ago, it's hard for me to be confident, but I probably go Neal Brown. SEC familiarity, HC experience in the south, but the offense is very similarly styled to what we are witnessing right now.

I think the head coaching searches of the past few years should show us that this is an MSU problem, not a hiring problem. Anyone that says they feel confident Coach X would have been successful here is outside of their mind. I'll continue to maintain that until we at least double our revenue, we will never legitimately compete in football no matter who we hire. We just don't have the resources to compete. Yes we've built nice things. But internally we can't hire competitively or recruit competitively to win.

It's a players game. Folks aren't getting outschemed as much anymore (I'm not counting Covid 2020). Teams in the SEC with worse talent are losing almost every time to teams with better talent. Money = Power and we don't have a lot of either.

Rant over

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Saterfield was the guy.
    This
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    This is tough for me because I think the guarantees out there aren't going to ever come to MSU.

So 3 years ago it's a risk no matter who you get. And that's because at MSU we have to hire risks. Satterfield is sitting at 2-5 this year. But 3 years ago we are talking about hiring him as the Appalachian State head coach. That's a risk. Ryan Day was a risk to go after. His success at Ohio State can't be measured against HC potential at MSU.

The problem here is that there is no template for what will be good for us. Mullen is a northern roots guy that rode Urban Meyer for a long time. But there was practically no way he was going to be worse than Croom. So now we dangle $5 million out there and get Mike Leach. Who is a risk. So for me, 3 years ago, it's hard for me to be confident, but I probably go Neal Brown. SEC familiarity, HC experience in the south, but the offense is very similarly styled to what we are witnessing right now.

I think the head coaching searches of the past few years should show us that this is an MSU problem, not a hiring problem. Anyone that says they feel confident Coach X would have been successful here is outside of their mind. I'll continue to maintain that until we at least double our revenue, we will never legitimately compete in football no matter who we hire. We just don't have the resources to compete. Yes we've built nice things. But internally we can't hire competitively or recruit competitively to win.

It's a players game. Folks aren't getting outschemed as much anymore (I'm not counting Covid 2020). Teams in the SEC with worse talent are losing almost every time to teams with better talent. Money = Power and we don't have a lot of either.

Rant over
    Every team struggles with hiring the "next guy".

Baylor and Ohio State seem to be the only ones that consistently get it right.

Problems with hiring a good "next coach" is a problem for everyone

vCash
    Satterfield would have been better than Moorhead, but he's hardly been impressive this year. Louisville is 2-5

vCash
    Hire Leach then and we'd be 4-1 right now.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Lane Kiffin?
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Agree with this.

vCash
    I'm still on clawson bc he continues to win with a talent deficit. This should always be a factor when choosing a coach here... certainly not the only factor, but 1 for sure.

ETA... this is one of the main reasons I liked leach as a hire. Had no idea the 3-8 was such a killer to him.
    Last edited by msstate7; 11-01-2020 at 08:55 AM.

vCash
    It’s Satterfield or Neal Brown, no question.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Neal Brown for sure and it?s easy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Just stop. Be objective.

vCash
    I don't need a DeLorean. I said hire Neal Brown at the time.

vCash
    Hire an experienced head coach.

vCash
    I'd rather look in the future..... When Arnett leaves..... We need to go all in on Chad Staggs.

vCash
    Hindsight being what it is I would have thrown the check book at Dan Mullen in early November 2017 and made him say no.

A lot of yall are saying Brown or Satterfield but I think Mississippi State seemed set on grabbing Pruitt, not saying I would have been in favor of that but he seemed to be the guy we would be set to go after if Moorhead did not want to come south

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Choctaw Dawg View Post
    Hindsight being what it is I would have thrown the check book at Dan Mullen in early November 2017 and made him say no.

A lot of yall are saying Brown or Satterfield but I think Mississippi State seemed set on grabbing Pruitt, not saying I would have been in favor of that but he seemed to be the guy we would be set to go after if Moorhead did not want to come south
    We did. Dan didn't want to be here anymore. I think we could have offered him Saban money and we still probably would have lost him. Dan did a good job here- but he was starting to neglect the program with his recruiting which was becoming more and more JUCO heavy and no one was holding Gonzalez and Hevesy accountable in recruiting and that's part of the reason why we have sucked there for the past few years. Compare how he acted yesterday when Trask got hit to how he acted when Fitz got hurt on a much dirtier play in 2017. It was just time for both of us to move in a different direction. He had been almost ten years- that's a long time for a coach nowadays.

You are correct that Cohen was set on hiring an assistant- and that's because he got terrible advice from the same guy that thought that Rick Ray would be a good basketball coach for us with this ridiculous idea that all MSU can hire is sitting assistant coaches.