Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quick Thoughts On What is Going on With Our Football Program

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Everyone knows the "Don't widen the plate" story don't they? Leach ain't widening the plate for anyone. That can still work even in todays soft, me first culture.
    Yes, you just have to recruit a majority old school kids from old school homes. And I am fine with that.

vCash
    Just admit it. The program is a total shat show. Everyone not a MSU Homer sees it and is saying it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Yes, you just have to recruit a majority old school kids from old school homes. And I am fine with that.
    Surprisingly there's still a lot of kids out there who want to be coached hard. Just have to find them, but when you do get those type players you have players that are 100% bought in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PendingTransaction View Post
    Just admit it. The program is a total shat show. Everyone not a MSU Homer sees it and is saying it.
    So you don't think Leach knows what he's doing?

What does it matter what non MSU fans think?

Here's a wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_L...ootball_coach)
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

I'm not ready to say that. But, as you like to say, this isn't a video game. The fact that Leach was successful somewhere else doesn't automatically mean it's going to translate. Coaches change jobs and fail at the new school all the time; it's why hiring is a total crap shoot. Your methods don't always translate because you're dealing with different players, different opponents, and different circumstances. And yes, the perception nationally right now is that we're a dumpster fire.

vCash
    You have a link on that? I haven't hear that
    examples

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/...oach-youd-play

https://theathletic.com/499415/2018/...to-mike-leach/ [In this one, Connor Halliday explains that they didn't like Leach when he played for him ("typical of WSU alums," the article says) but does acknowledge that he likes him better after leaving the program.

vCash
    Quite simply tell me this. If you were a prospect from the state of MS and you were looking at Ole Miss and us, who would you want to play for? It is that simple because those are the kids we are fighting for. You have Joey over there getting fined for standing up for his team and players against the SEC and then you have Kylin getting kicked off the team, a mass exodus mid season and a coach out there saying "we'll be glad to get rid of some more players".

Regardless of whether they should or not, optics matter. And kids (see local heroes, regardless of whether you think they are) in-state leaving the program and giving bad reports will matter.
    Last edited by MaroonBelle; 10-28-2020 at 12:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    examples

https://www.nbcsports.com/northwest/...oach-youd-play

https://theathletic.com/499415/2018/...to-mike-leach/ [In this one, Connor Halliday explains that they didn't like Leach when he played for him ("typical of WSU alums," the article says) but does acknowledge that he likes him better after leaving the program.
    I can understand that.

The best coaches I ever played for weren’t always fun to play for, although I did have pride due to knowing that we were doing things differently, however, the fact that the player insinuates that he appreciated a Leach after he left, is very telling as to how Leach coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonBelle View Post
    Quite simply tell me this. If you were a prospect from the state of MS and you were looking at Ole Miss and us, who would you want to play for? It is that simple because those are the kids we are fighting for. You have Joey over there getting fined for standing up for his team and players against the SEC and then you have Kylin getting kicked off the team, a mass exodus mid season and a coach out there saying "we'll be glad to get rid of some more players".

Regardless of whether they should or not, optics matter. And kids (see local heroes, regardless of whether you think they are) in-state leaving the program and giving bad reports will matter.
    Sure in the short term those kids may choose OM, but in the long term, if Leach is winning, they’re coming here

vCash

Here's a wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_L...ootball_coach)
    Honestly, I think Leach's scheme is a relic. I think his coaching style and tact will not fly with southern players. Even worse, I don't think he has the capacity to alter either enough to run a successful program here.

And for God's sakes, please stop with the fallacy that he is going to miraculously recruit all of these salt of the earth, SEC caliber players. Where are they...at the MAIS Christian Academies? After the next three "disastrous air raid shows" there will be more attrition and possibly some big decommits.

vCash
    Honestly, I think Leach's scheme is a relic. I think his coaching style and tact will not fly with southern players. Even worse, I don't think he has the capacity to alter either enough to run a successful program here.

And for God's sakes, please stop with the fallacy that he is going to miraculously recruit all of these salt of the earth, SEC caliber players. Where are they...at the MAIS Christian Academies? After the next three "disastrous air raid shows" there will be more attrition and possibly some big decommits.
    We’ll see

vCash

You mean, like Ole Miss having 2 decommits in the past 3 weeks, and just lost their only MS HS commit so far? And that we won head to head battles so far, for in state commits? I hear you saying TSUN looks great losing each week, and their coach is a good smarta$$ on twitter. They are going to also have transfers also at the end of this season. Some may be on the 2 deep. Lane also told a commit from Oxford to look elsewhere. Let the season play out.
    Last edited by Santiago; 10-28-2020 at 01:00 PM.

vCash
    Sure in the short term those kids may choose OM, but in the long term, if Leach is winning, they’re coming here
    I guess it depends if you think 2 or 3 years is short term. I think OM is gonna kick our ass and be winning as soon as they can get some defensive talent in cause that offense WORKS, they just need a decent defense. Even their losing looks fun right now. So how long are we gonna lose waiting for him to clean house and get his guys in and are we gonna be able to make up for that lost time. I dunno.

"You mean, like Ole Miss having 2 decommits in the past 3 weeks, and just lost their only MS HS commit so far? And that we won head to head battles so far, for in state commits? I hear you saying TSUN looks great losing each week, and their coach is a good smarta$$ on twitter. They are going to also have transfers also at the end of this season. Some may be on the 2 deep. Let the season play out."

Our coach is a smart ass too. not just on twitter. we'll see if we hang on to our commits with all this shaking out right now.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash

Current commitments from in state:

OM - 1 juco
    MSU - 11

vCash
    You think Leach is gonna out discipline Saban? Please. But you know what? Far as I know Saban's players still like him. There are ways and there are ways. We'll see how Leach's ways work here.
    Like and respect is different. I think more players respect him than like him. I seem to recall reading about players not liking Saban at all. I've read that there were several Dolphins players that came out and basically said they despised him.

I don't know about Leach but it's clear he will be respected. I think I did read somewhere that a former player said "players may not like Leach but he gets results."
    Last edited by Matt3467; 10-28-2020 at 01:01 PM.

vCash
    The program became a mess the second the players realized Joe wouldn't discipline them. That mess manifested itself on the field last year. Now we're cutting out all the weeds from our yard and piling it up by the road and it's rehashing the fact our program is a mess because it's all out in the open for the neighbors to see. But this isn't Leachs' mess, he's just cleaning it up. Is he also making it worse than it has to be? Maybe, he's known as a hard ass and he doesn't care about perception. But he is cleaning it up, and he will end up with a 100% bought in roster that values hard work and listening to coaches.

vCash
    The bottom line is, Leach has to change his scheme and coaching style or he will go the way of the "Father of the Air Raid," Hal Mumme. Hell Hal couldn't make the cut at fricking Belhaven.

vCash
    I guess it depends if you think 2 or 3 years is short term. I think OM is gonna kick our ass and be winning as soon as they can get some defensive talent in cause that offense WORKS, they just need a decent defense. Even their losing looks fun right now. So how long are we gonna lose waiting for him to clean house and get his guys in and are we gonna be able to make up for that lost time. I dunno.

"You mean, like Ole Miss having 2 decommits in the past 3 weeks, and just lost their only MS HS commit so far? And that we won head to head battles so far, for in state commits? I hear you saying TSUN looks great losing each week, and their coach is a good smarta$$ on twitter. They are going to also have transfers also at the end of this season. Some may be on the 2 deep. Let the season play out."

Our coach is a smart ass too. not just on twitter. we'll see if we hang on to our commits with all this shaking out right now.
    You bring up good questions, but I can't currently answer them as I've never seen Leach's full process.

What I do know is that this is his 3rd time to take over a program, 3rd time going through this exact situation, & the first 2 times ended up with the best teams those schools have ever had.

Currently, this staff is recruiting well. We'll see how it goes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    Like and respect is different. I think more players respect him than like him. I seem to recall reading about players not liking Saban at all. I've read that there were several Dolphins players that came out and basically said they despised him.

I don't know about Leach but it's clear he will be respected. I think I did read somewhere that a former player said "players may not like Leach but he gets results."
    Good post.

Everyone loves the coach when the win.

If you want an accurate assessment, let's hear from Bama 2007 players

vCash
    Arkansas players seem to actually like their coach and enjoy playing for him. You can clean house all you want but you have to wonder what this looks like to prospects.
    Playing time.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......