Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rosebowl Say He Expects Costello to Start at QB

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash

Rosebowl Say He Expects Costello to Start at QB

Leach knows more than me, but, with my limited knowledge of what goes on in practice, I disagree with this.

Rosebowl said last week he expected Rogers but now expects Costello

My only thought is that Costello must have torn it up at practice the past two weeks because in games he clearly isn't better than Rogers.

If Leach is doing this because he's worried about Rogers' mentality, then I really disagree with the move. You can't hide players. The good ones step up and get it done.

Just playing Costello with the expectation that he'll suck is absolutely absurd to me.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    The only way I'm ok with this is if Leach has used the bye week to do something like scheme up plays for Costello that get the ball out quick and limit the number of decisions he has to make, like what Kiffin had going for Corral in their first few games. Doing something like that for a tough game like this to buy Rogers some more time as well as give Costello a chance to redeem himself makes sense to me. But if he's just going to throw Costello back out there without changing anything, unless Costello and the OL have made some incredibly unlikely leaps forward in the past two weeks, I don't see what it accomplishes other than deny Rogers valuable experience.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    The only way I'm ok with this is if Leach has used the bye week to do something like scheme up plays for Costello that get the ball out quick and limit the number of decisions he has to make, like what Kiffin had going for Corral in their first few games. Doing something like that for a tough game like this to buy Rogers some more time as well as give Costello a chance to redeem himself makes sense to me. But if he's just going to throw Costello back out there without changing anything, unless Costello and the OL have made some incredibly unlikely leaps forward in the past two weeks, I don't see what it accomplishes other than deny Rogers valuable experience.
    Nothing has changed. This is conceding a loss to protect Rogers for next week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Nothing has changed. This is conceding a loss to protect Rogers for next week.
    His first start being against Alabama would be a tough row to hoe for freshman Rogers. Probably a good move on Leach's part.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    His first start being against Alabama would be a tough row to hoe for freshman Rogers. Probably a good move on Leach's part.
    I want our future QB to face as many tough rows as possible. That's how you get better.

He gets nothing out of sitting the bench

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    We have already played defenses as good as Alabama and will play more defenses as good as Alabama going forward. Will has already faced 2 defenses on par with Alabama. This logic makes zero sense. Alabama scoring 200 points on us because they have the best offense on the planet doesn’t make their defense any better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    We have already played defenses as good as Alabama and will play more defenses as good as Alabama going forward. Will has already faced 2 defenses on par with Alabama. This logic makes zero sense. Alabama scoring 200 points on us because they have the best offense on the planet doesn’t make their defense any better.
    no.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    My hope is that Costello has actually gotten better this week.

My intuition though is that the combo of our bad OL and Costello's slow feet is just a terrible combo that can't work

vCash
    I would imagine this is Leach protecting his young QB for the game after Bama.

vCash
    That's dumb IMO if it's really what's going on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    That's dumb IMO if it's really what's going on.
    No, it's not.

Getting Rogers turned into a pretzel by Bama's defense won't help a damn thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    No, it's not.

I don't think that's reality. Why would Bama turn Rogers into a pretzel?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I don't think that's reality. Why would Bama turn Rogers into a pretzel?
    Damn Gun...

Sometimes I really think you smoke crack before posting.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    No, it's not.

Alabama will shut us down defensively but this is extremely poor logic. Alabama isn't that good on defense. They are slightly above average. If we will play Will against Kentucky and A&M there is no reason to be scared against Alabama. If that's the case then let's just shut Will down until we get someone who can block next year maybe.
    Last edited by Jarius; 10-28-2020 at 12:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Alabama will shut us down defensively but this is extremely poor logic. Alabama isn't that good on defense. They are slightly above average. If we will play Will against Kentucky and A&M there is no reason to be scared against Alabama.
    Logic? Bruh, have you seen our O line lately?

vCash
    Yea, as long as Rogers get a decent amount of playing time, I'm not really that concerned about who starts. It was much more important who started the past game against A&M because that was a game we had a realistic shot of winning with a competent offense. We aren't going to win this week even if we had Joe Burrow or Trevor Lawrence starting for us.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Why? Alabama is near the bottom of SEC in sacks and 6th in interceptions..
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Why? Alabama is near the bottom of SEC in sacks and 6th in interceptions..
    Yeah but they haven’t played us yet. Those number usually grow exponentially after playing our offense the last 3 games

vCash
    This would be the only way I'd be even slightly OK with this. Unless KJ throws for 500 and 0 int and we give Bama a scare, I want to see Will every game after this. If it is any other reason, I hate it. I really don't like it either because if you are trying to gain trust in locker room keep trotting KJ out there is a bad move too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    This would be the only way I'd be even slightly OK with this. Unless KJ throws for 500 and 0 int and we give Bama a scare, I want to see Will every game after this. If it is any other reason, I hate it. I really don't like it either because if you are trying to gain trust in locker room keep trotting KJ out there is a bad move too.
    From everything I've been told KJ is a practice AA and Will is not. That's why KJ keeps getting the starts. However, I think another bad performance this weekend will be the end of KJ. Winnable games down the stretch with the correct QB. Will has to be the guy.