Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Another one bites the dust

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    There is another one coming who has not been mentioned..also, you cannot hire mike leach then blatantly question mike leach. The 3-8 is not his death sentence if it was he would have been done in 98. He has found his trigger man, and once he finds his trigger man he wins.

I wil say this as well, we may not win a game but we will be in shape and we won?t have me guys on the team
    You can question anyone who?s making $5 million a year to coach a game. By the way, we didn?t hire him just to have guys in shape and not have ?me guys on the team.? I will never understand this coach worship that some people engage in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Saban changed from an odd front 2 gap scheme with big LBs to an even front quarters match scheme to match the offenses. He has adapted so has Kirby. You will see them in odd some he calls it his base defense but it?s not nearly as much as it was in 2007 -2010
    Defense has to react. Defenses will always have to adjust. Different sport on that side of the ball
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    All things being equal a ?scheme? doesn?t win or lose a game. Coaching and athletes win games. As an offensive coach if I have good athletes and can coach them to where they know their assignments and execute I will win games regardless of scheme. Same thing goes for defense. When two equally well coached teams meet then the one with better athletes, better luck, or a combination of the two will win. It?s really that simple. Regardless of scheme or philosophy.

Right now we don?t have the athletes that can be execute their assignments so we are losing.
    Why are teams that never run a 3/8 defense, doing so against us????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    You can question anyone who?s making $5 million a year to coach a game. By the way, we didn?t hire him just to have guys in shape and not have ?me guys on the team.? I will never understand this coach worship that some people engage in.
    No one is coach worshipping, but the previous coach left the team in shit shape and it's going to take a minute to get it fixed. Anyone with a brain can see that.

And with 20 years of successful head coaching, Leach deserves more than 4 games
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    No one is coach worshipping, but the previous coach left the team in shit shape and it's going to take a minute to get it fixed. Anyone with a brain can see that.

I don?t want Leach fired after 4 games either. But I just do not agree that it?s as simple as saying ?it worked for 20 years, no adjustments needed.? This is a different league with different coaches and more athletic players. Guess what, he?s never had a game in those 20 years without an offensive touchdown. Now he has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    I don?t want Leach fired after 4 games either. But I just do not agree that it?s as simple as saying ?it worked for 20 years, no adjustments needed.? This is a different league with different coaches and more athletic players. Guess what, he?s never had a game in those 20 years without an offensive touchdown. Now he has.
    He is adjusting. Dumping poor players and locker room poison. Plus Schrader who just isn't a fit. I wish him all the best, he did all that could have been asked.

vCash
    You have to have the right qb in the air raid to make it work. The right arm with natural born instincts and athletic ability. Until you have that, you will have to add variations to the scheme that are easy to execute, but it won't work as consistently as the correct quarterback, doing only air raid things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    He completely changed his offense - even started recruiting different types of players to fit a more passing attack. He also had to adjust the type of defensive players he was recruiting to better defend the passing offenses.
    How would the Leach system look with today's Alabama team? What defense would everybody be running against it?
    Last edited by Percho; 10-27-2020 at 09:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    You have to have the right qb in the air raid to make it work. The right arm with natural born instincts and athletic ability. Until you have that, you will have to add variations to the scheme that are easy to execute, but it won't work as consistently as the correct quarterback, doing only air raid things.
    I think more than anything you need a QB that is going to make the right decisions to make it work. Leach has had some QB's that put up big numbers that weren't exactly Trevor Lawrence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    He is adjusting. Dumping poor players and locker room poison. Plus Schrader who just isn't a fit. I wish him all the best, he did all that could have been asked.
    Exactly. I see some people that want him to add read option and stuff like that. He just needs guys that can do what he needs them to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    People keep mentioning Saban changing his offensive philosophy- and he's a defensive coach. And his defensive philosophy has changed about as much as Leach's offense has the past 20 years.

Maybe our fans will be happy with a CEO coach that will constantly change coordinators to "fit" our personnel. Doesn't seem very sustainable to me.

Or maybe we can find fans that realize that sometimes things take a year or two to adapt. Very unlikely.
    that's right Todd ... Blame the 17'n fans for this abortion that is unfolding in front of us
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    KJ was probably the best fit for typical defenses but who knew he would struggle so much against a zone. Schrader was your zone buster and I still think was the best qb for this year in the system based on how we have seen teams react.

Against normal defenses accuracy is the biggest trait in this offense. However against this 3-8 zone taking what the defense gives you means running the ball and if the qb is taking the ball for 5-10 yards a pop every play then dc can’t stay in that defense.

I honestly don’t think leach thought he would see every team change their defense so much when they play MSU. I also don’t think he thought KJ would have such a hard time against it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmabull View Post
    I didn't say it was ok, but we hired him knowing who he is. His record shows that he runs his system. He's not going to change. We knew that when we hired him, and if we didn't then that's not on Leach. It's on others.

Obliviously, what Leach believes makes him one of the best coaches is how he runs his system. Not running someone else's system. We paid for Leach. Now we are just going to have to wait for him to get his system and guys needed to run it in play.
    Up to this point, why should he change? He has never HAD to change because his offense has always been successful both in the Big12 and PAC12. I mean maybe not so much in the Apple Cup but its easy to explain that away as a talent differential when the offense was still good the other 11 games in the PAC12. Now if he can't defeat the rush 3 drop 8 defense IN THE SEC when he gets a full spring practice and some more of his players in here then he will HAVE to adjust or he will be out of a job. I don't think Leach is a guy that takes failure well so I find it hard to believe he won't make some adjustments if it becomes obvious that we can't defeat the drop 8 scheme in the SEC with the way he is currently doing things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    We only have 83 scholarships for 2021.
    the ghosts of Moorhead's lax culture continue to haunt us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    that's right Todd ... Blame the 17'n fans for this abortion that is unfolding in front of us
    So what s your solution, fire Leach?

Just like Alabama should have fired Saban in 2007?

vCash
    I don't agree with this. Paul Johnson was really good at GT for a long time. Just struggled to recruit to that system.

Good schemes don't get figured out. Not sure there is an example of that.
    Yep, he was good enough to make the Orange Bowl and beat one of our best teams ever in that game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    Unless Leach wants a Qb that can and will gain yards with their legs this offense is middle tier at best.
    FIFY

vCash
    All I am saying is we hired Mike Leach to be Mike Leach. Will he adapt and make subtle changes? Maybe. But everyone is going to have to be patient and wait for him to get the players (mainly OL) in to run his system. It really doesn't matter what subtle changes he makes right now because at the end of the day, we don't have the OL to do what he does.

Bitching about firing him is a waste of time. We are not firing him anytime soon. It's no different than GT hiring G. Collins and giving him time to turn the roster over from the roster built to run the option to a roster built to be balanced. We are going from a run oriented spread offense to the Air Raid. It's not going to happen in half a year. It's most likely not going to happen for a couple of years.

vCash

Especially when his track record has already shown that his first year or two at a new program has never been all that good. I would at least like to give him a full Spring practice to really ingrain his system with the players before we say he can never be successful here. I don't believe you can just take a brand new group of players and try to install a new system in a shortened Fall camp with a lot of players that don't even fit the system and expect for things to be smooth sailing. I do believe that having things go so well at LSU really blew the expectations of our fans way out of line. No, we shouldn't be as bad as we are on offense, but nobody should just throw out the baby with the bath water only 4 games into the Leach tenure with no Spring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    So what s your solution, fire Leach?

Just like Alabama should have fired Saban in 2007?
    I haven't seen anyone in any thread on this board say Leach should be fired ... I have said as others have that he could make things easier on his current personnel by implementing more run, diversion, misdirection, closing down the line splits, and playing a better QB.... or anything else to slow down a hard charging DL that is just laying their ears back and coming as hard as they can without fear of having to protect an opening / gap against a running play .... the running game we currently have is not much more than a draw or delayed handoff with no lead back blocking and nothing has worked for the last 3 games ... sorry, but when it comes to scoring one touchdown against Arkansas, NO offensive points against Kentucky, and only ONE touchdown against aTm folks are going to get restless .
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.