Thread: Black Jerseys

vCash

Black Jerseys

Looks like Nickleblack Sunday is gonna be on a Saturday. Black Jerseys for Auburn. Might finally be the year we get a black helmet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    Looks like Nickleblack Sunday is gonna be on a Saturday. Black Jerseys for Auburn. Might finally be the year we get a black helmet.
    The only thing it means is that we?ll now lose to a beatable Auburn team. Great.

vCash
    I just don’t understand why the MS helmets and simple jersey / togs of the Threadgill/ B0nd era are not more popular......the simplistic look is outstanding IMO>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lastmajordog View Post
    I just don’t understand why the MS helmets and simple jersey / togs of the Threadgill/ B0nd era are not more popular......the simplistic look is outstanding IMO>
    I think it's a good look. The issue I see MSU having with it is the Bond era uniforms have MSU on the helmet. One thing I don't like about what MSU has done with their uniforms over the past 10-12 years or so is there have been way too many "special" uniforms and not nearly enough throwbacks. So it's good to see the Flying- M throwbacks. But MSU's athletic department is so damned determined to be M-State I think that's the main reason why we haven't seen more throwbacks. Because either a Bellard or Sherrill era MSU throwback would be wildly popular. And the 2014 MSU "tribute" to the late 90's MSU team had M-State on the helmet and fans loved it a lot more than the ribbon uniforms which were what was intended to be our primary uniforms that year. I think this will be an issue as long as LT is alive and we keep inbreeding the AD. See the Flying-M video MSU did with his sorry ass in it talking about how special that uniform is to old timers- if I could speak through the video I would have told that jackass that's how a lot of fans feel about the Nike uniform you sold us out on.

The other issue is we have so many variations of our uniforms with only 12-13 games typically- last year we didn't even wear our primary uniforms. Some of that was probably overthinking by our AD with the white helmets for USM- maybe. And then with those variations- M/W helmets, M/W jerseys and then M/W/S pants you add in the one game where we wear black we run out of options pretty quickly.

vCash
    This is one of my favorites.

1991-1995 Maroon.jpg

vCash
    Given the way the season has gone so far, black is probably appropriate.

vCash
    I liked our black jerseys in 15, 16, and 19. I think the players like wearing them. If we don't go black helmets then I hope we break out the silver helmets from 16.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lastmajordog View Post
    I agree, but apparently most of the MS State fan base likes change. I don't believe we will ever have tradition at State.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    I agree, but apparently most of the MS State fan base likes change. I don't believe we will ever have tradition at State.
    I don't see the problem with different uniforms. We don't have the history of a Bama, Penn St, Texas, etc. You've got to do something to stand out and alternate one off uniforms is a good way to get notoriety. The all grey Stennis uniforms a few years ago were a massive hit. Won all types of uni of the year awards. And although that may not mean anything to the older fans, things like that get you noticed in the Social Media Age. Anything to get you in the door is a good thing and Adidas has treated us very well in regards to the alternate uniforms.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I don't see the problem with different uniforms. We don't have the history of a Bama, Penn St, Texas, etc. You've got to do something to stand out and alternate one off uniforms is a good way to get notoriety. The all grey Stennis uniforms a few years ago were a massive hit. Won all types of uni of the year awards. And although that may not mean anything to the older fans, things like that get you noticed in the Social Media Age. Anything to get you in the door is a good thing and Adidas has treated us very well in regards to the alternate uniforms.
    I think this post apparently represents the feelings of the majority of MS State fans and why we will never have tradition. Quote: "Got to do something to stand out and alternate one off uniforms is a good way to get notoriety". For the record, I totally disagree. I would like to see State wear traditional uniforms similar to our 1980 uniforms -plain and simple but 100% MS State.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    I think this post apparently represents the feelings of the majority of MS State fans and why we will never have tradition. Quote: "Got to do something to stand out and alternate one off uniforms is a good way to get notoriety". For the record, I totally disagree. I would like to see State wear traditional uniforms similar to our 1980 uniforms -plain and simple but 100% MS State.
    And hey that's ok. Different strokes for different folks. Since I don't see us winning national title anytime soon I just don't see a way we're going to attract a broader recruiting base wearing plain jerseys and going 7-5 every year. You have to attract athletes to run the Air Raid and those athletes aren't in Mississippi and Alabama. They're in Texas, Florida, and Georgia and those athletes are all being recruited by the Alabama, Texas, Penn St., and Georgia's of the world. Hell even Georgia has they're alternate black jerseys. And that's done strictly for recruiting purposes and because the players like it. You have to do something to stand out to those kids and to me that's the easiest way to do it. It's free marketing that can pay off in a big way.

vCash
    I don’t see why we can’t utilize the uniform we wore to honor the 172nd Air Guard squadron. Those helmets were very good looking along with the uniforms. Plus it is honoring our soldiers. It also goes along with “Air Raid”

vCash
    I was hoping Leach would get rid of the gimmicky uniforms, but apparently not. Now we look like the Raiders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I was hoping Leach would get rid of the gimmicky uniforms, but apparently not. Now we look like the Raiders.
    yes and the black jersys, helmets etc are going to be FUGLY! Our colors are Maroon and White, with some gray thrown it, let's stick to it. We'll never develop a brand changing uniforms and colors every three weeks. The early 80's uniform were by far the best look IMHO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TimberBeast View Post
    The only thing it means is that we?ll now lose to a beatable Auburn team. Great.
    Not necessarily a fan of black jerseys, but the "we always lose in black" thing is a myth. We haven't lost in football in black jerseys in a decade.

vCash
    I want just the MS or the interlocking MSU

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Is this another sign of unity?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    This is one of my favorites.

1991-1995 Maroon.jpg
    I do too. That's the kind of thing I would like to see as a throwback in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    Is this another sign of unity?
    Whatever it is- if the rumors are true it is the best looking black MSU uniform I have seen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I knew when State hired the gimmick coach. The gimmick uniforms would be next. It would NOT surprise me if State put some dumbass Jolly Roger on the helmet.