Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annual Rant on How the Bama/Tennesse Non-Rivalry Holds the SEC Hostage

vCash

Annual Rant on How the Bama/Tennesse Non-Rivalry Holds the SEC Hostage

Tomorrow the dumbest, 17ing non-rivalry in the country will take place and it's because of this stupid, non-competitive game that the rest of the SEC is held hostage from getting the divisions and schedules right, while this game brings absolutely no additional value to the conference. The game brings absolutely no value.

Alabama leads the overall series 56-38-7. Good enough for a 60+% winning percentage in the series.

Since 2007, Alabama has won 13 straight while outscoring Tennessee 489-160 for an average Bama victory of 37-12. Tennessee has not scored over 21 points vs Bama since 2006.

Meanwhile, the rest of the conference is held hostage by this stupid game because it prevents Auburn from going to the East where they'd fit just fine while letting Mizzou go the West where they belong.

It's also because of this dumb rivalry that SEC football players don't get to play every other SEC school during their careers.

The SEC would be a better conference if this non-rivalry went where it belongs, it in the past, and is only celebrated every 3 years when Bama and Tennessee would play with a corrected SEC schedule.

Completely pointless game that serves no purpose.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 10-23-2020 at 11:12 PM.

vCash
    On a broader note, divisions are pointless and having more than 3 permanent sec opponents is pointless and I don't see how we go back to an 8 game sec schedule after this year that is dumb too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by calidawg View Post
    On a broader note, divisions are pointless and having more than 3 permanent sec opponents is pointless and I don't see how we go back to an 8 game sec schedule after this year that is dumb too
    Agree. The divisions are pointless, but since Alabama needs two permeant rivals, Auburn and Tennessee, until this rivalry is put in the trash, you still can't get the divisions right.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I want to go back to a 7 game schedule. A 10 game SEC schedule is NOT in MSU's best interest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Agree. The divisions are pointless, but since Alabama needs two permeant rivals, Auburn and Tennessee, until this rivalry is put in the trash, you still can't get the divisions right.
    The divisions are OUTSTANDING. I Like the regional aspect. The thing is, we have to find a way to get Missouri into the West now. The obvious solution, poach two teams from the ACC. The obvious targets are NC State and Va. Tech. Va. Tech would be a natural fit. NC State is too but still wants the basketball in the ACC. What the SEC REALLY wanted when we expanded was A&M and Maryland. Maryland chose the BIG 10 over us. Maryland isn't really a SEC school, but neither is Mizzou. The other solution is to take OSU and OU and move Bama and Auburn to the East. The reason that THAT will never happen is that every current SEC member would have to take a pay cut to do it. Poaching a VA school and a NC school would add to that payday. That's the only way expansion happens. The money thing is why a move for a school in a state we are already in will never happen. The only way THAT would ever happen is if we took Texas. THEY would add money, but they would never tolerate the SEC deal with money and votes, we are all equal there.

vCash
    The Auburn/Georgia rivalry is also holding the SEC hostage as well. And yes, divisions are stupid. That's the easiest solution. It would also guarantee the two best teams play in the SEC Championship Game instead of the every once in awhile 7-5 Mizzou vs. 12-0 Alabama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I want to go back to a 7 game schedule. A 10 game SEC schedule is NOT in MSU's best interest.
    I agree. We don't have the depth that the bluebloods have and we really need the four OOC games to develop that. I never have understood why some of our fans just have to see Kansas State in person or some other random school like that which honestly draws as well as La Tech.

I think the best model is the 8 game model with three permanent opponents- like MSU could have say Ole Miss, Auburn, and Kentucky and then the other 5 games are rotated. That would mean that if I was a traditional four year student at MSU I would get to see MSU play everyone in the SEC at least once in Starkville and once on the road during my college career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The Auburn/Georgia rivalry is also holding the SEC hostage as well. And yes, divisions are stupid. That's the easiest solution. It would also guarantee the two best teams play in the SEC Championship Game instead of the every once in awhile 7-5 Mizzou vs. 12-0 Alabama.
    Yes Auburn vs UGA is well but it?s 61-58 in favor of UGA and is an actual competitive rivalry while also having the distinction as the South?s Oldest Rivalry. When compared to Bama vs Tennessee, it?s a way better actually rivalry.

I can?t understand for a minute why Tennessee want to continue their rivalry with Bama. It does nothing but hurt their record and devalue their coaching job.

vCash
    Yes Auburn vs UGA is well but it?s 61-58 in favor of UGA and is an actual competitive rivalry while also having the distinction as the South?s Oldest Rivalry. When compared to Bama vs Tennessee, it?s a way better actually rivalry.

I can?t understand for a minute why Tennessee want to continue their rivalry with Bama. It does nothing but hurt their record and devalue their coaching job.
    I do think it is a rivalry for some Alabama and Tennessee fans. I think rivalries are dependent on other factors though. Like growing up in Jackson I had no idea that Memphis was somewhat of a meaningful game for MSU fans in North Mississippi whereas for me USM was always more of a secondary rival. And I can't understand why Kentucky of all people wants to have a rivalry with us in football.

Or like Ole Miss and LSU where LSU doesn't care about them at all and it's big for Ole Miss.

Heck- I think we have a rivalry with Alabama somewhat just because of proximity.

vCash
    I think Kentucky wants us because we're one of the few football teams they beat on an occasional basis. Could also carry over from basketball when we've had our runs to challenge them.

vCash
    Moving Auburn to the east and Missouri to the west would certainly even the playing field and be much more logic geographically. I would like a 9 game SEC schedule, 1 other P5 game, a team like Memphis or USM every year and then a cupcake team early in the year to help form team identity. If you did this, you could keep the permanent rival and still get 2 others instead of 1 on the rotation.

vCash
    Does LT still help with the SEC scheduling? If so we?ll always get the short end of the stick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Does LT still help with the SEC scheduling? If so we?ll always get the short end of the stick.
    Based on what I was told he does not.

vCash
    I don't see why they could not schedule like the NFL and base next year's schedule on this year's results. If Alabama wins the championship for example, they would have a tougher conference schedule than us next year if we were to finish 3-7. Do away with divisions and take top two teams based on record to play for championship. They could keep in state rivalries in tact and possibly the Georgia/Florida game. Unless they change something we will only be able to have a legitimate shot at a championship once every 5-7 years while other teams will be in the hunt every year.

vCash
    Divisions need to go; it they had to go in basketball then do so in football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCurtain74 View Post
    I don't see why they could not schedule like the NFL and base next year's schedule on this year's results. If Alabama wins the championship for example, they would have a tougher conference schedule than us next year if we were to finish 3-7. Do away with divisions and take top two teams based on record to play for championship. They could keep in state rivalries in tact and possibly the Georgia/Florida game. Unless they change something we will only be able to have a legitimate shot at a championship once every 5-7 years while other teams will be in the hunt every year.
    Totally agree but since Bama apparently runs the SEC office, there is never any progress.

vCash
    One of the reasons they keep divisions is to make money off of the SEC championship game in Atlanta.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    One of the reasons they keep divisions is to make money off of the SEC championship game in Atlanta.
    You could just take the top 2 teams have a championship

vCash
    You could just take the top 2 teams have a championship
    This. It would actually be the best 2 teams. Imagine that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I agree with this. 7 or 8 game conference schedule.