Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fall MSU Baseball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    He and Lovett
    Yeah, I saw some summer footage of Lovett and he was looking nasty. What I saw looked like an overpowering fastball and a wicked slider. I don’t know the competition he was facing but the kid I saw him pitch against may be rethinking his future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Jim Ellis is doing radio. No stream which is pretty bad by the administration.
    The AD could have really marketed this, sold advertising and maybe even done some PPV and made a few bucks, or at least build up some goodwill with the fan base... but Cohen continues to play checkers when everyone else is playing Chess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Cade Smith, I don't think the Coaches are surprised but I do know they have been impressed. 11 innings, 9 strikeouts with 5 walks which he is working on his change up He touched 95 the other day but that ain't what he does, he will throw consistent in 90-92 mph but he is showing 92-94 lately. His weight training is really helping him. Ok I said enough, time will tell, he is still growing and is young.
    Good for Cade and his proud Dad, we're all pulling for him.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    I’m a Cade fan, I’m on board, let’s Go!

vCash
    Jim Ellis is doing radio. No stream which is pretty bad by the administration.
    This sure looks like a stream to me

vCash
    Video stream chief. Can't cost much to do SECN+ like Arkansas is doing.

There are 2A middle schools in MS doing video streams these days.
    I've gotten so used to only listening to the audio stream during baseball season because ESPN/SECN video streams have been so crappy most of the time, it doesn't even enter my mind to try to anymore.

vCash
    My Grandson, LOL but his Dad is proud! LOL

vCash
    Video stream chief. Can't cost much to do SECN+ like Arkansas is doing.

There are 2A middle schools in MS doing video streams these days.
    Yep. WatchESPN has Arkansas Fall World Series and a Gardner-Webb scrimmage available VIDEO.

Why can't Cohen get us on the tube?

vCash
    I listened to half an inning.... it was just painful listening to Jim..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I listened to half an inning.... it was just painful listening to Jim..
    Do NOT slander Jim!!! Lol.

vCash
    I think we get to Omaha again this year because of our staff. My biggest concern like others have said is the offense. If we end up having to face a team with really good pitching we're going to have to manufacture a little more to win. We're not going to be putrid but we don't have a Rooker that can change the game or a Mangum for that matter either.

We do however, have some good veteran players and that's always a good thing. Most of our power guys are young like Logan Tanner, Kamren James, and Kellum Clark.

Its hard to know how roles will be defined with the pitching staff because we don't know what the schedule will look like. Sounds like they're going to go to a four game SEC weekend schedule though where everyone plays everyone per rumor. Rumor is we'll play Ole Miss in two series- one in Oxford and one in Starkville. I don't know if they'll have the Governor's Cup where they move a home game for each to Pearl or what the plan there is.

Some of the young guys like Hunt have been a little wild so I'm not sure how much he will really contribute next year. Assuming a four game schedule I think we go:

Fri- Cerentola
    Sat- MacLeoud- could be reversed with Cerentola.
    Sun- Bednar
    Fourth game- Cameron Tullar or Cade Smith.

Relief Ace- Landon Sims
    Set-up- Parker Stinnett or Brandon Smith if he is healthy.
    Closer- Spencer Price
    We'll see Jack Eagan a lot too.

C- Logan Tanner and Luke Hancock are probably both going to be in the lineup at catcher and DH.
    1B- Hatcher
    2B- Scotty Dubrule- transfer from Jacksonville. If he struggles we'll probably go with Tanner Leggett.
    3B- Kellum Clark
    SS- Kamren James
    LF- Cumbest/Pimentel platoon. Could see Rowdey here if Brayland Skinner wins the CF spot.
    CF- Rowdey/Skinner. I'm curious to see if Skinner can hit SEC pitching. At worst he's a pinch runner.
    RF- Tanner Allen
    DH- Tanner/Hancock whoever isn't catching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    My Grandson, LOL but his Dad is proud! LOL
    OK my bad. proud Grand Dad then. In all these years I've never known any Kin folks of our players, just tickled for you. Great times.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    OK my bad. proud Grand Dad then. In all these years I've never known any Kin folks of our players, just tickled for you. Great times.
    Thanks msbulldog, let me add, Cade got "lit up" yesterday in practice. My daughter said he was pissed, he faced the "meat of (what will be our) order". Like she told "He will figure things out". No doubt in my mind, I've told him their will be days in will struggle.

I will lay off a lot when the season starts, we as fans can get brutal on message boards. I actually think I will be able to handle things, being an ex coach you kinda understand and not let fans "rattle you". LOL.

vCash
    I'm not sure how they came up w the rosters for the series. But cheese must have something on goat Bc his team is way better. At least on paper it is.

vCash
    When it comes to the Great offensive years at MSU, they generally happen out of nowhere for us:

Rooker was a redshirt, he became a producer as a Junior but he hit more HR as a Senior than all previous seasons combined and hit 100 points higher than his career average

Renfroe went from 8th in the order, K machine, Mendoza average to #1 pick and monster stats in a Dead Bat season

Cody Brown went from Lefty Pinch hitter to heart of the lineup as a Senior. Hitting critical bombs in Regionals.

I fully expect someone like Hatcher, Rowdey, or Tanner Allen to progress to All American status. If we are lucky, two guys do it. Plus Kamren James. Geatreau has indicated a huge leap. Landon Jordan was a summer league MVP. Basically we have more position players for a Rooker/Renfroe leap than anytime I can recall. Just lots of volume of prospects.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    When it comes to the Great offensive years at MSU, they generally happen out of nowhere for us:

Rooker was a redshirt, he became a producer as a Junior but he hit more HR as a Senior than all previous seasons combined and hit 100 points higher than his career average

Renfroe went from 8th in the order, K machine, Mendoza average to #1 pick and monster stats in a Dead Bat season

Cody Brown went from Lefty Pinch hitter to heart of the lineup as a Senior. Hitting critical bombs in Regionals.

I fully expect someone like Hatcher, Rowdey, or Tanner Allen to progress to All American status. If we are lucky, two guys do it. Plus Kamren James. Geatreau has indicated a huge leap. Landon Jordan was a summer league MVP. Basically we have more position players for a Rooker/Renfroe leap than anytime I can recall. Just lots of volume of prospects.
    The difference for me is Rooker and Renfroe had big time projection. The only upperclassman who has that kind of talent honestly is Brad Cumbest. And he is missing a lot of reps. I don't know what to think of Landon Jordan. He has hit everywhere he has played except in the SEC. And he doesn't have a position and I can't see him DHing a lot with Hancock and Tanner on the team.

I think we'll be like our team in the 1999-2000 seasons. A lot of veteran hitters who will have good years but no real superstar MLB prospect like a Will Clark or a Rooker. Or even a Mangum.

vCash
    If you can keep Rowdey and TA from having their typical mega slumps, they both could easily hit .350 or better. From the sounds of it, you can expect Kamren James to be a .300 hitter, Hatcher should hit .310 or better, and Hancock sounds like a .310 or better hitter. Power is going to be the issue, I think. Hatcher will hit a few and they seem to think James can hit a few, and Logan Tanner has a lot of pop, we just have to see how good of a hitter he can be. The wild card is Pimentel. We need the switch to flip on with him.

vCash
    Bad outing by cerrantola today. Just command issues won't go away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    If you can keep Rowdey and TA from having their typical mega slumps, they both could easily hit .350 or better. From the sounds of it, you can expect Kamren James to be a .300 hitter, Hatcher should hit .310 or better, and Hancock sounds like a .310 or better hitter. Power is going to be the issue, I think. Hatcher will hit a few and they seem to think James can hit a few, and Logan Tanner has a lot of pop, we just have to see how good of a hitter he can be. The wild card is Pimentel. We need the switch to flip on with him.
    I think Tanner can hit well over 5. 10 may be a little bit of a stretch but I could see him hitting 8. Pimentel, Cumbest, and Skinner are wild cards. Based on practice I think you would have to go with Skinner honestly but I think all three will play throughout the year.