Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fall MSU Baseball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Bad outing by cerrantola today. Just command issues won't go away.
    man, that's too bad.

vCash
    Not worried about Cerantola. We just gotta find his role. It could be that we are testing the vets in a different way. MacLeod, Koestler, and Harding all got roughed up in their starts.

Davis Rokose had a ball game. That’s another lefty, high end recruit. Man, remember when the only lefty we had was Tyrsten Barlow? The kid had his good moments but generally he threw a wild pitch and then walked the dang Lefty he was suppose to retire. Now we have some serious lefty options.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 10-25-2020 at 09:37 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Not worried about Cerantola. We just gotta find his role. It could be that we are testing the vets in a different way. MacLeod, Koestler, and Harding all got roughed up in their starts.

Davis Rokose has a ball game. That’s another lefty, high end recruit. Man, remember when the only lefty we had was Tyrsten Barlow? The kid had his good moments but generally he threw a wild pitch and then walked the dang Lefty he was suppose to retire. Now we have some serious lefty options.
    It's not that I'm "worried" we have plenty of arms. But he is isn't a lockdown sure thing to be a starter all year Bc he's never proven it. Command is an issue. Always has been. As for working on stuff maybe so. But he walked 5 and didn't get out of the third. So no matter how you shake it, it was a poor performance. Yea Carlisle did too. I get it.

vCash
    Bc of the depth of the staff, we have plenty of long relievers, Cerantola can give us 4 quality innings, we are still in great shape. My math has us with 20 pitchers, to pitch 4 games each weekend. Put Cerantola at long relief, don?t matter to me, just pitch 4-6 innings per weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MsStateBaseball View Post
    Bc of the depth of the staff, we have plenty of long relievers, Cerantola can give us 4 quality innings, we are still in great shape. My math has us with 20 pitchers, to pitch 4 games each weekend. Put Cerantola at long relief, don?t matter to me, just pitch 4-6 innings per weekend.
    I'm not worried about Cerentola either. Not yet anyway. Fall practice doesn't really mean a lot to me. Like you said- we have enough that we can find someone that can do the job adequately.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MsStateBaseball View Post
    Agree. Problem is , he hasn't proven he can give us 4 innings. I'm not giving up on the guy but I'm not pushing my chips to the center of the table on him either. At least not here. He has big league stuff. He's young to the game and very well might pitch in the show. But 75 pitches in less than 3 innings is problematic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm not worried about Cerentola either. Not yet anyway. Fall practice doesn't really mean a lot to me. Like you said- we have enough that we can find someone that can do the job adequately.
    The last part is true. We have plenty of options should he fail. I'd just rather he succeed Bc his stuff is electric.

vCash
    Seeing what they do w the roster will be interesting. I'm counting a 39 man roster. We have 27 that are on scholarship that have to be on it as long as they stay for spring. Then 4 seniors. So the other 8 and how they breakdown pitchers vs position players will be interesting to say the least. Course all 4 sr are pitchers so that's like 4 extra on the staff there from a normal one. .

vCash
    Seeing what they do w the roster will be interesting. I'm counting a 39 man roster. We have 27 that are on scholarship that have to be on it as long as they stay for spring. Then 4 seniors. So the other 8 and how they breakdown pitchers vs position players will be interesting to say the least. Course all 4 sr are pitchers so that's like 4 extra on the staff there from a normal one. .
    I'm not sure that they are too worried about it for this year. I'm assuming that if they play an all SEC schedule they won't have the normal roster limits that they usually do- but that's just a guess. One way or the other this is going to take a few years to get sorted out. I'm not even sure what the MLB draft will be like either next year. And then they're going to totally re-organize the minor leagues as well. At some point in the next year or two there is going to be a glut of American players available for the draft. Some good players are going to be left out and not get a chance or go play independent ball. Everyone will probably get a high school player or two that they typically wouldn't get because there are going to be some high school players that get pushed back in the draft.

One positive thing that may come from it is P5 schools will be able to see what it's like financially to pay for a baseball team scholarship wise. I still think that is coming at some point in the next ten years whenever the SEC decides to stop giving into the Big 10/NCAA BS.

vCash
    I'm not sure that they are too worried about it for this year. I'm assuming that if they play an all SEC schedule they won't have the normal roster limits that they usually do- but that's just a guess. One way or the other this is going to take a few years to get sorted out. I'm not even sure what the MLB draft will be like either next year. And then they're going to totally re-organize the minor leagues as well. At some point in the next year or two there is going to be a glut of American players available for the draft. Some good players are going to be left out and not get a chance or go play independent ball. Everyone will probably get a high school player or two that they typically wouldn't get because there are going to be some high school players that get pushed back in the draft.

One positive thing that may come from it is P5 schools will be able to see what it's like financially to pay for a baseball team scholarship wise. I still think that is coming at some point in the next ten years whenever the SEC decides to stop giving into the Big 10/NCAA BS.
    Yes I don't understand why there hasn't been a discrimination lawsuit filed to raise scholarship limits for baseball. It's coming.

vCash
    Agree. Problem is , he hasn't proven he can give us 4 innings. I'm not giving up on the guy but I'm not pushing my chips to the center of the table on him either. At least not here. He has big league stuff. He's young to the game and very well might pitch in the show. But 75 pitches in less than 3 innings is problematic.
    To explain my “not worried”

(1) if he were our Friday Ace and everybody else a last day flip recruit from USM, then we worry
    (2) if he was an All American from previous seasons, then you worry

But we actually have several high end players that can be 1, 2, and 3. If Cerantola is a better setup man with clean innings in the 7th and 8th, then that’s a big important role. That’s cool. Especially if we can avoid a head case umpire.

He can still continue to develop as he will. The 3 and 4 role is probably gonna have several players making a claim. I wouldn’t be surprised if he pulls a Zac Houston and Click-On after the season starts.

Note- in the Hancock interview he said, “not his best today” means he had been better until today. I love catcher interviews.

Not worried
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 10-25-2020 at 11:31 PM.

vCash
    It's also not like MacLeoud had his best day either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Yes I don't understand why there hasn't been a discrimination lawsuit filed to raise scholarship limits for baseball. It's coming.
    The problem is the small northern schools and the Big 10.

vCash
    A lawsuit involving larger schools would nullify their opinions.

vCash
    Not arguing with you but Big 10 Michigan uses their limitless endowment and gives every player a scholarship. Just flagging the contradiction.

They even brag about using an Inner City MLB program to ID developmental talent they be patient with for 2 years.

It’s not an accident they played in the NC two years ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    A lawsuit involving larger schools would nullify their opinions.
    I think what will eventually happen is the southern schools- SEC, ACC, Big 12, and some of the smaller conferences that can compete in baseball like the AAC, C-USA, and Sun Belt will break away. Basically what happened with COVID football. Whether the Big 10 and PAC 12 will join or not later? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Not arguing with you but Big 10 Michigan uses their limitless endowment and gives every player a scholarship. Just flagging the contradiction.

They even brag about using an Inner City MLB program to ID developmental talent they be patient with for 2 years.

It’s not an accident they played in the NC two years ago.
    You are correct. They do not want a Mississippi State or Arkansas to have 20 baseball scholarships.

vCash
    It's also not like MacLeoud had his best day either.
    Didn't say he did. Everyone has bad days. But Macleod hasn't had 3 years of command issues either.

vCash
    Pretty much "most or some" of the pitchers had an "off pitching weekend". It's always a concern for any pitcher who doesn't throw strikes consistently. Especially a Friday and even a Saturday starter. I do know some are working on "another pitch", and it is practice and pitchers as well as hitters do have "off days". It's the ones who don't consistently get down or in a rut you want and who you can depend on in games.

vCash
    Can someone give me an update on Brandon Smith and how's he progressing? Just wondered where he was in the recovery process......
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Brandon threw 1 inning the other day. He?s long tossing. I don?t know his MPH. By February, he could pitch but limited. Should be full go as season progresses.