Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Leach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I don't think talent is the problem on the OL. It's more assignments, guys having to perform different skills than what they're used to, and coaches still learning how to get through to each individual player. It's take time for coaches to learn what players respond to
    I have to laugh Gun, that is a very iffy observation, just keep pumping Leach and forget why it isn't working. Blocking ain't complicated, it ain't like teams are going all out on blitzing.

How bout Leach finding a way to mix up things such as a few running plays with some imagination? 28.5 ypc, you got to be kidding me? I'm not convinced but I hope we win and at least score a few points if not, you think Covid is the blame, wait till there will be no attendance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I have to laugh Gun, that is a very iffy observation, just keep pumping Leach and forget why it isn't working. Blocking ain't complicated, it ain't like teams are going all out on blitzing.

How bout Leach finding a way to mix up things such as a few running plays with some imagination? 28.5 ypc, you got to be kidding me? I'm not convinced but I hope we win and at least score a few points if not, you think Covid is the blame, wait till there will be no attendance.
    Do you really think he isn't going to figure it out?

We're talking about a top 5 offensive mind in the past quarter century of college football. Do you really think he isn't going to figure this out and we're going to have DL running through our line untouched for the next 5 years?

Really?

While currently frustrating, I just think this whole offensive meltdown is an absolute nothing burger. I would be absolutely shocked if Leach doesn't easily figure this out.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash

We're talking about a top 5 offensive mind in the past quarter century of college football. Do you really think he isn't going to figure this out and we're going to have DL running through our line untouched for the next 5 years?

Really?

While currently frustrating, I just think this whole offensive meltdown is an absolute nothing burger. I would be absolutely shocked if Leach doesn't easily figure this out.
    How long until he adjusts? He's been running wide splits for 20 years. He's been running basically the same plays for 20 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    How long until he adjusts? He's been running wide splits for 20 years. He's been running basically the same plays for 20 years.
    I'm still not sure he needs to adjusts. To say that I know more about his offense and offensive football in general than he does is would be absurd and delusional on my part.

He may be stubborn, but I'm pretty confident he's going to do what's necessary to prevent DL from running untouched at the QB. I can't imagine that last for long because he knows that we can't even see if his offense will work in the SEC with that going on.

vCash

Really?

Actually I don't. It reminds me of a batter in baseball who has power but can't hit breaking balls so pitchers keep throwing him breaking balls. Maybe every once in a while the batter will tag one.

What he did in the past has nothing to do what he is doing today. He is 60 and the older we get the least we like change, LOL!

I know you are his biggest supporter, I actually hope he succeeds, I just ain't betting the mortgage on him.

vCash

Really?

I rarely agree with you ha. But you are spot on. He will get it figured out and he will get some help in here over the next couple of recruiting classes.

It appears as though he already has his QB of the future and we have a couple of decent young WRS to start to build that unit around. We have a LT that is going to be a stud and some other younger linemen that we can build off of.

I am still mind blown that we already have some fans ready for a change 4 games into a crazy season where we have had zero cupcakes to work on things.

We could use a Mississippi Valley State right now running a 3-8 look to work on things where the pass rush wouldn't be quite as bad etc. He is having to mold this offense against SEC Ds. It will take some time. The instant gratification group around here is absurd and ironically most of them are older people that blast the younger generation for the same thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    I rarely agree with you ha. But you are spot on. He will get it figured out and he will get some help in here over the next couple of recruiting classes.

It appears as though he already has his QB of the future and we have a couple of decent young WRS to start to build that unit around. We have a LT that is going to be a stud and some other younger linemen that we can build off of.

I am still mind blown that we already have some fans ready for a change 4 games into a crazy season where we have had zero cupcakes to work on things.

We could use a Mississippi Valley State right now running a 3-8 look to work on things where the pass rush wouldn't be quite as bad etc. He is having to mold this offense against SEC Ds. It will take some time. The instant gratification group around here is absurd and ironically most of them are older people that blast the younger generation for the same thing.
    I think the issue we are currently seeing is, that due to the wide splits and the issue those create with double teams and the OL providing help, assignment misses in this offense are way more destructive to the play than in other offenses.

I do think Leach we should narrow the splits a hair to provide a greater margin of error for the OL, but that belief is based on my own common sense. However, I also realize that me saying that is the equivalent of a homeless person advising Patton on battle plans

vCash
    I think the issue we are currently seeing is, that due to the wide splits and the issue those create with double teams and the OL providing help, assignment misses in this offense are way more destructive to the play than in other offenses.

I do think Leach we should narrow the splits a hair to provide a greater margin of error for the OL, but that belief is based on my own common sense. However, I also realize that me saying that is the equivalent of a homeless person advising Patton on battle plans
    I think you're right on narrowing down the splits .... stunting D-Linemen or blitzing LB's LOVE wider splits
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Consider all that Leach has had to deal with this year:

1) COVID disallowed a new coach with a new system the necessary time and practice to install a system that few, if any, of the players he had ever played under. No matter what fans may think the Air Raid takes practice to learn. Leach did not have the spring or fall practices or off-season training sessions to get things going.

2) Because most of the players now have not played in Air Raid before this year nothing is rote when it comes to plays. As players play things that are taught become second nature. Mullen did not play Air Raid, Moorhead did not play Air Raid, so the offensive players have not played it either.

3) MSU had no chance for "tune-in" games with lesser opponents that would provide true game experience before jumping into the malestrom known at SEC play.

4) Getting time to develop the Air Raid at Texas Tech and Washington State is a lot easier with the lesser teams in the SWC and Pac-12. In the SEC you have to jump right in and don't have "lesser teams" to play against -- true sink or swim...

I feel that too many fans have become jaded in past success that they tend to forget that Mississippi State, before Jackie Sherrill's term, was a constant second-runner. Such is possible every year when you play in the toughest division of the toughest conference in the country. Someone has got to be the bottom team in the SEC West and for many years MSU was that team. That may not look good in the scheme of playing in the SEC, but I guarantee there are a lot of teams that would gladly be in last place in the division of this conference than be the top team of a much lesser conference.

I personally think, with the added experience of 40 years since graduation, that Leach will make a good team at MSU. We will have growing pains for these are unusual circumstances but there will be improvement and will return to glory in the SEC,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    We are a program that has been to 10 straight bowl games and probably had 5 or 6 straight top-30 recruiting classes. We shouldn't be in the SEC title game, but it is ludicrous to act like we don't have enough talent on campus to have performed better than we did in October. This is not Washington State or Texas Tech, programs that were in the complete doldrums. If you can't generate more than 21 offensive points against Kentucky, Arkansas, and Texas A&M, it's time to look in a mirror and check your ego about what works and what doesn't.
    Yep, I am tired of people saying we don't have talent or the right kind of talent. That no talent team threw and caught against defending NC for an SEC record. We have enough talent to compete and win games. Our pathetic showing on O has nothing to do with talent but about our O plan, execution, and play calling - yep it all starts with coaching. Winning 5-6 this year was reasonable. SEC ain't that good overall.

Do I think he can win? Yes but he gotta be more aggressive on adjustments. This can't drag out 3 years trying to prove your philosophy would work without any changes in the SEC. HC are hired to win, period. We are not a Beta test site for football experiments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I think you're right on narrowing down the splits .... stunting D-Linemen or blitzing LB's LOVE wider splits
    Not saying that I agree with the pictures below, just a "re-tweet"

The basic assumption is that the DE has longer to travel to the QB.

But like you say. The DE is not compelled to travel that path if he stunts or the DC Zone Blitzes with people up the Middle.

Also, the assumption is that the Defense is going to use 330-lb Defensive Tackles versus the Air Raid. Seems they put DE's across the Line or OLBs. So the DE is actually much closer than the magic little triangle.

There needs to be an implicit run-threat, too. That's the only reason the DL would balance across the width of OL or even match physical sizes with the OL. If the OL really sucks, just close ranks and jail break up the middle in limited blitzes.

I just watch football, ask me about soccer for more educated opinions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Not saying that I agree with the pictures below, just a "re-tweet"

The basic assumption is that the DE has longer to travel to the QB.

But like you say. The DE is not compelled to travel that path if he stunts or the DC Zone Blitzes with people up the Middle.

Also, the assumption is that the Defense is going to use 330-lb Defensive Tackles versus the Air Raid. Seems they put DE's across the Line or OLBs. So the DE is actually much closer than the magic little triangle.

There needs to be an implicit run-threat, too. That's the only reason the DL would balance across the width of OL or even match physical sizes with the OL. If the OL really sucks, just close ranks and jail break up the middle in limited blitzes.

I just watch football, ask me about soccer for more educated opinions.
    A few things:

1. This assumes that OT gets beat to the outside rather than the inside. Our RT has been getting beat to the inside, which means the splits are pointless.

2. Part of the sack issue is also on the depth of KJs drops. Patrick Mahomes as also had this problem this year. When the QB drops too far back, it decreases the angle for the DE and destroys the ability for the OT to stay between DE and QB. The OT can get beat upfield all day long as long the QB steps up where the pocket is. The QB has to stay in the circle of the pocket. If he drops too far back, then it ruins the protection.

vCash
    I go back to if traditional splits haven't negatively impacted the passing of air raid 2.0, why not just go traditional. There's no downside given the defenses we are facing.

vCash
    My guess is you?ve only ever watched Leach with the right QB. Rogers is that.
    Can we hold off just a little bit on anointing him the next Joe Montana? *****

ETA: Personally I think Leach sucks and needs to scrap his entire offense to get back to what we do which is ... RTGDF. Those teams at WSU & TT were flukes *****

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Most of my neighbors are Tech fans - I've been watching Leach since he left Kentucky. Always been a big fan and liked the idea of us hiring him. I've watched him much more than you and with good and bad qbs. Where I might have overestimated him is assuming he would quickly make adjustments to account for speed and size of SEC defensive fronts. That has not happened and really surprises me.
    He has a career record of 7-3 against A&M. Do you really think he has not seen fronts as big and fast as Kentucky and Arkansas? I don't understand the thought process of some of you guys. It really isn't the "big bad SEC defenses".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    He has a career record of 7-3 against A&M. Do you really think he has not seen fronts as big and fast as Kentucky and Arkansas? I don't understand the thought process of some of you guys. It really isn't the "big bad SEC defenses".
    His career record against A&M was in the big 12 days. They did not have the speed/size combination up front that they have today. And I'm not talking about big bad SEC defenses. I'm talking about him putting our young OTs on an island with guys who will be playing on Sundays soon and giving them no reason to do anything but pass rush.
    You can act like we are stupid all you want, but 4 games in and we look horrid up front. We look worse up front now than we did under Joe. So he does have some adjustments to make.
    Last edited by Cowbell; 10-22-2020 at 10:40 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    His career record against A&M was in the big 12 days. They did not have the speed/size combination up front that they have today. And I'm not talking about big bad SEC defenses. I'm talking about him putting our young OTs on an island with guys who will be playing on Sundays soon and giving them no reason to do anything but pass rush.
    You can act like we are stupid all you want, but 4 games in and we look horrid up front. We look worse up front now than we did under Joe. So he does have some adjustments to make.
    Exactly. You could argue this 3 game stretch is some of the worst coaching in modern day football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Exactly. You could argue this 3 game stretch is some of the worst coaching in modern day football.
    Give this coach a year or 2 or 3! Covid season, no spring, rebuild this system ... Jesus, you guys act like we were potentially winning the West.

vCash
    His system works.. it takes a lot of practice to get it right. He gets his players to out execute yours with tons of reps. Get this.. it works... It may take some time but it works. Leech's offense will score points in the coming years in a way that we have never seen.

My only concern is our defense will fade due to his lack of recruiting. He keeps that defensive talent level high and playing like it is this year, and this team is going to be a tough out for anyone in the years to come.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PKADogs55 View Post
    Give this coach a year or 2 or 3! Covid season, no spring, rebuild this system ... Jesus, you guys act like we were potentially winning the West.
    He will get his 3 years. I expect improvement. Doesn't change the fact that these past 3 games have been horrible from a coaching standpoint.