Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Leach

vCash

Mike Leach

I graduated from Miss St in 1980 and have followed our football program since I was a little kid. I'm fairly new to the board and don't post much but I do read most of them. I've followed Leach from TT to Wsh St and to here. I truly believe we will see a solid program in the near future. You have to give him and his staff something to work with, and we don't have much. Give him a little time to find the guys that fit his offense. He will deliver.
    Hail State!

vCash
    Welcome!

We'll be good under him I have no doubt. And we'll be good soon.

That being said, however, to be great he's going to have to make some minor adjustments to his offense. We'll see if his pride is based on his system or his legacy as a winning coach

I think both sides are right one this and it isn't black and white. For those that think he won't win because he won't adjust, I disagree. And for those that say he he'll win big with no adjustments, I disagree. Both sides are right.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone View Post
    I graduated from Miss St in 1980 and have followed our football program since I was a little kid. I'm fairly new to the board and don't post much but I do read most of them. I've followed Leach from TT to Wsh St and to here. I truly believe we will see a solid program in the near future. You have to give him and his staff something to work with, and we don't have much. Give him a little time to find the guys that fit his offense. He will deliver.
    Hail State!
    We are a program that has been to 10 straight bowl games and probably had 5 or 6 straight top-30 recruiting classes. We shouldn't be in the SEC title game, but it is ludicrous to act like we don't have enough talent on campus to have performed better than we did in October. This is not Washington State or Texas Tech, programs that were in the complete doldrums. If you can't generate more than 21 offensive points against Kentucky, Arkansas, and Texas A&M, it's time to look in a mirror and check your ego about what works and what doesn't.
    Last edited by bluelightstar; 10-20-2020 at 05:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    We are a program that has been to 10 straight bowl games and probably had 5 or 6 straight top-30 recruiting classes. We shouldn't be in the SEC title game, but it is ludicrous to act like we don't have enough talent on campus to have performed better than we did in October.
    We absolutely have enough talent to perform better than we did in October but with so many extenuating circumstances this season, it's just unfair to hold this staff to the same standard that we would hold every other staff too. It's not an excuse, but it's just reality. There are real extenuating circumstances this year that make it really really tough to grade the staff out fairly.

That being said, I'm starting to see life on the offensive side and expect them to get it together soon. If I'm sitting here before the Egg Bowl and we're still sucking on offense, then I'm going to have issues with the staff

vCash
    Welcome! And good post- I have been following Leach for awhile myself and I agree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    We are a program that has been to 10 straight bowl games and probably had 5 or 6 straight top-30 recruiting classes. We shouldn't be in the SEC title game, but it is ludicrous to act like we don't have enough talent on campus to have performed better than we did in October. This is not Washington State or Texas Tech, programs that were in the complete doldrums. If you can't generate more than 21 offensive points against Kentucky, Arkansas, and Texas A&M, it's time to look in a mirror and check your ego about what works and what doesn't.
    We are not very talented at O-Line or at WR...when we fix those two things, we will get better.....

vCash
    A big part of the reason ppl are griping is because the lane train took bama to wire. But they are a KY defensive play from having the same record as us. They just looked better losing.

I agree with Todd and Shotgun. We are getting closer. I think if Rogers practices as the starter the next two weeks we will score points against bama.

The WRs are learning to sit in the open space when the D is in a zone. Rogers made a great pass in the zone gap for about 15-20 yards up field. That is how good QBs are supposed to do it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone View Post
    Hail State!
    Welcome to the ED family! Post more often, all opinions are welcome, weather there worth a damn or not!
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by desotodawg View Post
    A big part of the reason ppl are griping is because the lane train took bama to wire. But they are a KY defensive play from having the same record as us. They just looked better losing.

I agree with Todd and Shotgun. We are getting closer. I think if Rogers practices as the starter the next two weeks we will score points against bama.

The WRs are learning to sit in the open space when the D is in a zone. Rogers made a great pass in the zone gap for about 15-20 yards up field. That is how good QBs are supposed to do it.
    Being at the very least competitive is a big improvement over what we have been seeing this season. That is on the players. No one is stepping up, starting with the OL. Including our All American RB that taps out after every other play. Including our WRs that seem to run directly into coverage when they could go under coverage. Also the WRs haven't thrown a single block that I have noticed.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Welcome to the board / glad to have you!
    I too have been following Leach since his TT days - I didn't doubt him at all early on but these last few games have me wondering.

vCash

We’ve got the same record

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Being at the very least competitive is a big improvement over what we have been seeing this season. That is on the players. No one is stepping up, starting with the OL. Including our All American RB that taps out after every other play. Including our WRs that seem to run directly into coverage when they could go under coverage. Also the WRs haven't thrown a single block that I have noticed.
    They’re starting to step up. We’ll see if Kylin joins the party

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Welcome to the board / glad to have you!
    I too have been following Leach since his TT days - I didn't doubt him at all early on but these last few games have me wondering.
    My guess is you’ve only ever watched Leach with the right QB. Rogers is that.

vCash

?
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    When Matt Wyatt makes the radio rounds and you hear a common topic among MSU podcasts, you know that came from the athletic department. The common theme at this time seems to be to bunker down and prepare for at least a year or two of suckage to get his system in place. If you think he is going anywhere anytime soon, minus a major scandal, you are going to be disappointed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    When Matt Wyatt makes the radio rounds and you hear a common topic among MSU podcasts, you know that came from the athletic department. The common theme at this time seems to be to bunker down and prepare for at least a year or two of suckage to get his system in place. If you think he is going anywhere anytime soon, minus a major scandal, you are going to be disappointed.
    I haven’t heard that at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    My guess is you?ve only ever watched Leach with the right QB. Rogers is that.
    Most of my neighbors are Tech fans - I've been watching Leach since he left Kentucky. Always been a big fan and liked the idea of us hiring him. I've watched him much more than you and with good and bad qbs. Where I might have overestimated him is assuming he would quickly make adjustments to account for speed and size of SEC defensive fronts. That has not happened and really surprises me.

vCash
    Actually OM would be 0-4 without Kentucky celebrating a score before he scored. I agree with these comments and understood from the beginning that Leach inherited more talent here than he did at his previous 2 starts but one must remember that it is all relative to who you have to play and their ability...he was also not facing 4 SEC teams to start the season at those 2 places, and I have to believe he is also a little taken back with the speed of defenses in the SEC, especially DL. There is a reason that the SEC has dominated the NFL draft, especially on the defensive side, over the past 8-10 years.

All good coaches are able to adjust, even slightly, and be somewhat adaptable in order to compete against the best each week...Saban even has. So I expect Leach to do so as well, even if he does not mentioned or acknowledge that he is doing so.

Time will tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolfer View Post
    We are not very talented at O-Line or at WR...when we fix those two things, we will get better.....
    Before the season, Pro Football Focus said we have 4 OLs that were in the top ten at their position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    Before the season, Pro Football Focus said we have 4 OLs that were in the top ten at their position.
    I don't think talent is the problem on the OL. It's more assignments, guys having to perform different skills than what they're used to, and coaches still learning how to get through to each individual player. It's take time for coaches to learn what players respond to