Thread: Here are a couple of quotes I found about the splits...

vCash

Here are a couple of quotes I found about the splits...

To back up what I have been posting:

"The modern versions of the Air Raid have tended to mute the wide splits and overly pass-heavy emphasis of the original Air Raid. Run/pass options (RPOs) and dual-threat QBs have been a major boon to the system and allowed teams to get enough out of their running game to be balanced and stop defenses from embracing the same kind of extreme, pass-focus to stop them."

And from another article:

The final issue with wider splits along the offensive line is with the running game.

Although the idea is to create wider rushing lanes as well as passing lanes, in reality by putting the offensive linemen farther apart it makes it much more difficult for them to execute the double team blocks so essential in controlling the first level of defenders.

If you never win the initial block at the line of scrimmage, then you will never be able to run the ball effectively. Obviously, running the ball is not a primary concern for Leach, but it is one of the clear differences between him and some of his disciples who have gone on to be successful.

Art Briles, Sonny Dykes and Dana Holgorson all utilize various versions of the offense they learned from Leach and fellow Air Raid developer Hal Mumme. The most polarizing difference is all three make a commitment to running the football.

And not only do they run the ball, they run the ball very well. Tellingly, their linemen maintain traditional splits because it helps them create angles and doubles teams. It also has not taken away one bit from their passing game as all three routinely have been in the top ten, along with WSU, in passing yards nationally.

Adapt or Die.

vCash
    Great stuff.

I think the main quote there is the last one " It also has not taken away one bit from their passing game as all three routinely have been in the top ten, along with WSU, in passing yards nationally."

Meaning there is no tradeoff to more narrow splits. You can still throw it just as effectively

That means that Leach's stance on not narrowing the splits is pure stubbornness with no purpose
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Good stuff there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    To back up what I have been posting:

"The modern versions of the Air Raid have tended to mute the wide splits and overly pass-heavy emphasis of the original Air Raid. Run/pass options (RPOs) and dual-threat QBs have been a major boon to the system and allowed teams to get enough out of their running game to be balanced and stop defenses from embracing the same kind of extreme, pass-focus to stop them."

And from another article:

The final issue with wider splits along the offensive line is with the running game.

Although the idea is to create wider rushing lanes as well as passing lanes, in reality by putting the offensive linemen farther apart it makes it much more difficult for them to execute the double team blocks so essential in controlling the first level of defenders.

If you never win the initial block at the line of scrimmage, then you will never be able to run the ball effectively. Obviously, running the ball is not a primary concern for Leach, but it is one of the clear differences between him and some of his disciples who have gone on to be successful..
    There is your money sentence. I've found it helps our zone run game because it creates more running lanes inside. Our QB is a threat to run so the backside DE has to respect that. KJ is not a threat- so no respect is given there by the DL.

Also- it does hurt your ability to run power scheme plays because you cant double team as effectively. I changed the way we block the power read vs a 3 and 5- we single block it and cut it up more inside with the QB now in the A gap- instead of the playside B gap which has been the norm. And because we block it that way- the RB aspect on the jet is just more for show now. Has really become a QB run play. There's really no read to it
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    I?m not against Leach making adjustments. I?m certainly not saying this scheme (or any offensive scheme) is perfect.

It?s just frustrating seeing people ready to give up on this offense before we?ve really given it a chance.

Seeing a QB run element would make this offense very difficult to stop.