Thread: A&M Film in 42 Minutes

vCash

A&M Film in 42 Minutes

CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    1. On the first play of the game, 2 of our WRs just about run into each other and allow 1 A&M DB to cover both
    2. Marks is going to be a hell of a RB once he gets a little stronger and is able to break ankle tackles. He's got some vision and burst
    3. I still don't have an issue with KJ taking a shot on the deep INT. It was 1 on 1 and the A&M DB got leverage. If teams are going to run a 3-8 on us, we've got to make them pay for 1 on 1 chances on deep routes.
    4. Seems as if our WRs are learning to sit down in zone coverage but we've often got 2 WRs sitting down in the same window, which clutters the window and brings more defenders. The spacing has to get better.
    5. Marks has to get stronger for pass blocking purposes. Cost us 2 sacks. He's in the right spot and sticks his nose in there but isn't strong enough to stop the defender.
    6. Eiland gets beat for a sack but the RG blocks no one while drifting in space for the entire play. That's obviously a communication issue.
    7. On the very next play, our center gets beat and yet again the RG blocks absolutely no one. It's not that 3 are being 5, it's that we are only using 3 of our 5 to block. This play didn't end up as a sack, but rather a disrupted throw in which KJ under threw a wide open deep route that he would've connected with if he had a clean pocket.

8. On the 3rd sack of the game, A&M overloads the right side of our line with 3 rushers vs 2. KJ has to see this & hit the flat route that's wide open immediately.

9. I think we win this game if Will Rogers plays all 4 quarters. He's not fast, but he has extremely quick feet and goes through his progressions so much faster while throwing the ball with more zip. It's amazing how much the offense opened up with him at QB. Completely changed the game, but it was too late and we ran out of time. KJ is has slow feet which leads to no pocket mobility and slow progressions. It's just not close.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 10-20-2020 at 10:20 AM.

vCash
    Here's how I'd fix this offense after watching this:

A. Insert Will Rogers as the starter. Absolute no brainer. He's way better.
    B. Cut splits down from 3 ft to 2 ft. The talent of SEC OL makes it tougher to win 1 on 1 and we aren't using our 5 to block their 3. We're playing 3 on 3 with 2 guys blocking no one. By cutting down on the splits, we will allow our OL to help each other more and create less space for the DL to maneuver.
    C. Continue to get the WRs to understand spacing, and while, YES, we have to sit down in zone, we don't need to be sitting down in the same window.

After watching this film, I really think this offense is close to taking off. The biggest issue is the OL and them understanding how to help each other

vCash
    I don't get people acting like Will Rogers isn't that talented. Like no he can't run, but even with literally 0 P5 experience he drifts away from pressure and keeps his eyes downfield. I've seen people imply his arm talent isn't that great, and no we haven't seen a deep ball yet, but every throw he's made so far has been on target with the appropriate amount of zip. Decision making wise I've only seen him make 1 bad throw- vs Kentucky when he was falling down and he flipped it right to a Kentucky guy. Other than that I genuinely can't remember a single ill advised throw, save for some screens that went nowhere but that's probably what Leach called.

Like he is comfortable in the pocket, gets the ball out quick to where it needs to go, is cool as ice, and the teammates seem to like him. As a tFr. What's not to like?

Overall I agree with you. Wr's will get better at finding soft spots. Will will be better now that he's getting all the reps. we have a bye to get the OL's communication issues cleared up, which is the reason for a lot of the pressures. Just wish Leach would add in a wrinkle, say a zone read run to allow an OL to pull, or a RPO where we have the slot WR run right where the LBs would be if they dropped into zone instead of stay up for the handoff. 4-6 is very possible, with almost the whole O coming back 2021 would be very exciting if we can keep Arnett

vCash
    I?m sorry but 5 should be able to block 3 even if we did a 4 foot split...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    I?m sorry but 5 should be able to block 3 even if we did a 4 foot split...
    Totally agree, but, if those 5 aren't working together and it thus becomes 3 on 3, then it's no longer 5 on 3.

We're basically playing offense with like 9 guys right now.

If they can fix the assignment issues on the OL, the offense will take off.