Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If we do the below

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post

I hope I get all the adjustments laid out below.

1. we need to add in tight end sets.
    2. we need to run two back sets.
    3. we need to run the ball at least 30% of the time.
    4. Rogers needs to start/a scrambling quarterback.
    5. Costello should start with his grad assistance ship starting with practice today.
    6. We need to pay Leach on a win by win basis.
    Simple. You are ready to fire Leach and find another HC. Leach ain't going to change.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    It's going to be a long two years. I'm hunkering down. I made it through Cohen's first two years and at least the football team looks a heck of a lot closer to being able to win than we did in baseball at that time.

The other thing that is funny is everyone talks about how great 2014 was. We finished third in the SEC in passing that year.

But I know what you are talking about. I think RTDF is kind of poor ol MSU in a way because it's partially saying we can't get good enough players to throw a forward pass and I think that is complete bullshit.
    Exactly!

vCash
    Exactly!
    While the offense may not totally click for 2 years, I think we can win some games due to the defense, if we're able to keep Arnett and build
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    While the offense may not totally click for 2 years, I think we can win some games due to the defense, if we're able to keep Arnett and build
    I firmly believe keeping Arnett is the most important thing for Leach to do. hopefully Leach is liked much more by his DC than what Mullen was liked. I tired of changing a DC every year.

vCash
    I firmly believe keeping Arnett is the most important thing for Leach to do. hopefully Leach is liked much more by his DC than what Mullen was liked. I tired of changing a DC every year.
    Agree. I'm so sick of the class structure of college football. If a 2nd tier program gets good coordinators, they are immediately rumored to be leaving. It destroys the ability for 2nd tier programs to build
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Agree. I'm so sick of the class structure of college football. If a 2nd tier program gets good coordinators, they are immediately rumored to be leaving. It destroys the ability for 2nd tier programs to build
    especially since we are in a stage that we can take a step forward soon.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    It's pretty clear to me. We are going to see this same defense every game for as long as Mike Leach is the coach until we can run the ball effectively. To run the ball effectively, we need to go to traditional splits and add some diversity to the run game. If Leach would make this adjustment like all of his protege's have made, then Leach could run all of his mesh routes and air raid stuff in the passing game. Or we can just keep checking down, throwing picks and beating our head against the wall. And our fans can keep blasting our Olinemen and our QBs.
    Leach needs to just look at Kliff Kingsbury's system. That is how the big boys do it. Hell, look at KC. They throw it all over the place, but when a running play is called, the OL gets nasty.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Leach needs to just look at Kliff Kingsbury's system. That is how the big boys do it. Hell, look at KC. They throw it all over the place, but when a running play is called, the OL gets nasty.
    KC ran it 46 times on Monday b/c that's what the game dictated. Leach would never do that.

Imagine the discipline to have Mahomes, Hill, Watkins, Kelce, Hardeman, etc and run it 46 times. That's why Andy Reid is one of the greats.

vCash
    and we still suck are we going to blame the Coach or are we going to blame the players.

Currently I feel like half this board thinks Leach's system sucks and is never going to work in this league, and the other half believes its just going to take time for things to click.

I hope I get all the adjustments laid out below.

1. we need to add in tight end sets.
    2. we need to run two back sets.
    3. we need to run the ball at least 30% of the time.
    4. Rogers needs to start/a scrambling quarterback.
    5. Costello should start with his grad assistance ship starting with practice today.
    6. We need to pay Leach on a win by win basis.

The above is what I have gathered over the past three weeks. If we make these adjustments and run them consistently with Bama and we still don't look any better. Those of you who think its Leach's system that sucks are you willing to change your mind that the players are just not where we need them and it wasn't all on Leach? Vice versa if it does work are you who think Leach wasn't the issue are you willing to say that his system was the issue?

HAIL FREAKING STATE
    Leach's system will work but only if you have the right qb. People still don't understand this fact.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Leach's system will work but only if you have the right qb. People still don't understand this fact.
    QB makes a big difference but if the QB doesn't have blockers it won't be much different than what we have now. Not to mention receivers who know how to work a zone.

Everything I've said has already been beaten to death though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    QB makes a big difference but if the QB doesn't have blockers it won't be much different than what we have now. Not to mention receivers who know how to work a zone.

Everything I've said has already been beaten to death though.
    I looked at the first 14 throws for both Rogers and Costello on Saturday. Why 14? Because that is how many balls Rogers through in his first 2 drives.

I make this post to say this is 100% on Costello for how bad our Offense has performed, not the line. My opinion, please change my mind.

From snap of the ball to the release or subsequent pressure of the sack, Rogers had the ball for 30.29 seconds.

Of the 30.29 seconds he held the ball for an average of 2.16 seconds. He read through his progressions and made the appropriate check downs in that timeframe and moved the ball pretty well and got a freaking touchdown. Please also note, that he made quite a few throws past ten yards and hit people in stride within ten yards. That is a winning formula.

From snap of the ball to the release or subsequent pressure of the sack, Costello had the ball for 36.68 seconds.

Of the 36.68 seconds he held the ball for an average of 2.62 seconds. With additional time he was sacked, fumbled twice (ball hit him in the chest), 1 pick, 1 under throw (probably a touchdown), and didn't look like he could read the defense.

Looking at the numbers how I read this, the line gave Costello all the time he needed to read through his progressions and make the right throw. He couldn't do it, no matter what the reason is, he couldn't do it. A true freshman made Costello look like a true freshman in every facet of the QB position.

I believe we need a full game of a Rogers running this offense to actually see what its capabilities are, Bama might not give us the best understanding. But, we also might be pleasantly surprised.

vCash
    I looked at the first 14 throws for both Rogers and Costello on Saturday. Why 14? Because that is how many balls Rogers through in his first 2 drives.

I make this post to say this is 100% on Costello for how bad our Offense has performed, not the line. My opinion, please change my mind.

From snap of the ball to the release or subsequent pressure of the sack, Rogers had the ball for 30.29 seconds.

Of the 30.29 seconds he held the ball for an average of 2.16 seconds. He read through his progressions and made the appropriate check downs in that timeframe and moved the ball pretty well and got a freaking touchdown. Please also note, that he made quite a few throws past ten yards and hit people in stride within ten yards. That is a winning formula.

From snap of the ball to the release or subsequent pressure of the sack, Costello had the ball for 36.68 seconds.

Of the 36.68 seconds he held the ball for an average of 2.62 seconds. With additional time he was sacked, fumbled twice (ball hit him in the chest), 1 pick, 1 under throw (probably a touchdown), and didn't look like he could read the defense.

Looking at the numbers how I read this, the line gave Costello all the time he needed to read through his progressions and make the right throw. He couldn't do it, no matter what the reason is, he couldn't do it. A true freshman made Costello look like a true freshman in every facet of the QB position.

I believe we need a full game of a Rogers running this offense to actually see what its capabilities are, Bama might not give us the best understanding. But, we also might be pleasantly surprised.

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthrea...mbers-crunched

Ok?

This doesn't convince me otherwise the second time I saw it either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthrea...mbers-crunched

Ok?

This doesn't convince me otherwise the second time I saw it either.
    How does it not? Just trying to understand.

vCash
    How does it not? Just trying to understand.

There are just too many variables. I don't care about trying to poke a hole in what you've said. It doesn't convince me, don't know what you want me to say.

In your 14 snap scenario, it makes sense I guess. Not saying what you've said is wrong. Insignificant sample size at two totally different stages of the game.

When I see certain linemen repeatedly standing there not blocking a single person while the person he should be blocking is blowing past him while he is looking the other way, there is more to it than just 1 single player on the offense making things work.

I agree Rogers is very likely the best option. He was putting balls in windows that Costello wasn't seeing but the WR's didn't look like they were totally on the same page with the Rogers either. But they were running their route correctly and Rogers knew where and when to put it. I don't need to crunch numbers and see averages to come up with what the other problems are when I can see them with my own eyes.

Do you not think a QB not being able to trust his linemen effects his decision-making ability? Especially when that decision has to be made in 2 seconds.

---

Plus your response to my original post doesn't really apply. Yes, a good QB can make Leach's system tick. But what system doesn't require that? The point of my original post that differs from yours is that everything doesn't fall on Costello. Obviously the turnovers do though.