Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the SEC, you still have to run the ball....

vCash

In the SEC, you still have to run the ball....

to be successful. We are averaging around 10-12 runs per game. No SEC DC is going to worry about 10-12 running plays, bc those plays aren?t going to beat them. They will coach to play the pass first vs Leach then react to the run. Our offense is vanilla and easy to game plan against. I cannot dumb it down anymore then that. This might be LSU - 9 season.

vCash
    Problem is, the OL is so bad, we can't run the ball.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Problem is our OL is built for running instead of passing and they're being asked to do something they can't. And help isn't on the way for next year, currently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    That's so depressing

vCash
    You still don't get it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    You still don't get it.
    Explain then

vCash
    You will not win sh*t in the SEC averaging 29 yards a game on the ground. I mean, that's just pitiful.

vCash
    We're like USM. They keep trying to find a coach that won't leave every three years and it's killing them. We keep trying to turn our program into a pass first program. Leadership doesn't understand what we are. John Cohen is a damn fool!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We're like USM. They keep trying to find a coach that won't leave every three years and it's killing them. We keep trying to turn our program into a pass first program. Leadership doesn't understand what we are. John Cohen is a damn fool!
    I get the frustration, but I believe being able to pass is the only way we can compete for the West within the foreseeable future. It's the only way.

So, while yes I understand that we're a historically running team, it's been proven time and time again that the ceiling of that style of play with the talent we're capable of getting, is a 9-3 to 8-4 type program. While that's certainly solid, we can always return to that, but it's pertinent that we at least try to take this thing to the next level

While it may not work, I believe the vision of developing into a passing team is the right thing to do no matter how painful it may be on the way there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    You will not win sh*t in the SEC averaging 29 yards a game on the ground. I mean, that's just pitiful.
    When the offense is running right, we won't average 29 yards on the ground.

vCash
    I get the frustration, but I believe being able to pass is the only way we can compete for the West within the foreseeable future. It's the only way.

So, while yes I understand that we're a historically running team, it's been proven time and time again that the ceiling of that style of play with the talent we're capable of getting, is a 9-3 to 8-4 type program. While that's certainly solid, we can always return to that, but it's pertinent that we at least try to take this thing to the next level

While it may not work, I believe the vision of developing into a passing team is the right thing to do no matter how painful it may be on the way there.
    You can try to transition into a pass first team without becoming pass only. I understand that Leach isn't going anywhere and shouldn't (barring us going 2-8 this year and following up with another disaster next year). But the tremendous potential downside to bringing in Mike Leach's Air Raid--an offense that he concedes is *simple* and that is painfully one-dimensional--to a league with coaching staffs that work 20-hour days and meticulously analyze every snap of every opponent should have been obvious.

vCash

Name the teams that have won the west other than AL since 2010. Tell me how many of those were a pass first team. Because none were (LSU last year?) This idea that passing will beat AL is exactly what I was talking about. Go look at how many teams have thrown the ball more than 40 times and beat AL in that time frame and then tell me passing is how it's done. It's fake damn news! And the real problem is WE WILL NEVER CONSISTENTLY BEAT AL EVER!!!
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 10-19-2020 at 10:21 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    You can try to transition into a pass first team without becoming pass only. I understand that Leach isn't going anywhere and shouldn't (barring us going 2-8 this year and following up with another disaster next year). But the tremendous potential downside to bringing in Mike Leach's Air Raid--an offense that he concedes is *simple* and that is painfully one-dimensional--to a league with coaching staffs that work 20-hour days and meticulously analyze every snap of every opponent should have been obvious.
    I agree. My only thought is that the pass opens up the run in his offense and since we can't currently pass, the run doesn't work either.

Hopefully they figure something out over the next 2 weeks and we go and score 24+ against Bama. We'll lose 48 to whatever, but I'll feel much better if we can have some production against them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Name the teams that have won the west other than AL since 2010. Tell me how many of those were a pass first team. Because none were (LSU last year?) This idea that passing will beat AL is exactly what I was talking about. Go look at how many teams have thrown the ball more than 40 times and beat AL in that time frame and then tell me passing is how it's done. It's fake damn news!
    Ole Miss would've won the West as a pass first team if it weren't for Arkansas converting a 4th and 25.

LSU was pass first last year

vCash
    Ole Miss would've won the West as a pass first team if it weren't for Arkansas converting a 4th and 25.

LSU was a balanced team and OM never won it. You are so hung up on OM you're blind. You beat AL with similar talent, not a damn scheme.

vCash

2015 Ole Miss averaged 183 yards/game on the ground in 2015 and averaged just 2 more pass attempts than run attempts per game (37.6 vs. 35.6). 2019 LSU averaged 167 yards/game on the ground and had 4 more pass attempts per game (37.8 vs. 33.9). It's fair to call them pass first, but it's nothing at all like what we're doing. Those offenses were balanced. It's not passing all the time that beats Bama; it's the ability to be balanced and go downfield.

Looking at Leach's 2018 Wazzu team, which I expect is what we should look to as his "ideal" offense, the breakdown was 52.1 passes to 21.4 rushes a game, averaging just 79 yards a game on the ground. Same for '08 Texas Tech - 50.9 passes and 24.4 rushes -- although Tech did average 117 yards on the ground. Color me skeptical that such a breakdown is going to work in the SEC.
    Last edited by bluelightstar; 10-19-2020 at 10:38 AM.

vCash
    Explain then
    If Leach doesn't transition to normal O-line splits, we will not be sucessful.

vCash
    I?m not as upset about the aTm loss as the Ark and UK losses. aTm is way more talented and experienced and we actually seemed to be more poised. We did better with the turnovers, but we just can?t compete with them. It is still possible we beat Vandy, Auburn, Ole Miss and Missouri, but we do need to find a better running game and keep limiting the turnovers. Losing that Arkansas game at home though is still inexcusable and that?s on Leach for not kicking the field goals more than anyone. We really should be 2-2 and I think if that were the case the meltdowns wouldn?t be quite as bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    If Leach doesn't transition to normal O-line splits, we will not be sucessful.
    Maybe. I'm not sure how any of us would know that