Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am extremely excited!

vCash

I am extremely excited!

IF Will Rodgers practices with the first team O for two full weeks and starts verse the Elephants.

A few things to consider:

1. I am assuming we got rid of some divisive players this past week. Takes some time for the effects of that change to be seen.

2. Costello - the situation sucks everyway you look at it. This was a star transfer looking to pad his resume to get into the league. That is just not happening. After watching yesterday I think a lot of the issues stemmed from the players didn't want to play for him (my opinion) I have been in locker rooms where players didn't care for someone and it shows on the field. No one blocked for him, effort was worse than a wiped puppy wanting to stand up, routes were slow, and worse no one helped him get up every time he was hit.

Now to Will Rodgers. I am not saying that he is going to be all world. But, there is a very clear distinction in effort, execution, decision making, and over all team comradery when he was out on the field. The line was just better, did they suck still? yes. But, they had more pep in their steps and they clearly wanted to block for Rodgers. and his decision making was night and day better than Costello.

1. He ran this offense in high. basic understanding goes along way, he worked with the receivers basically all summer, that's huge. And Leach has been recruiting him for along time, that tells me Leach knows he can run this offense.

2. I have been thinking this whole time I cannot judge Leach's offense yet because he has the wrong play caller in there, ill judge him hard on the stupidity of not putting Rodgers in early. But, Rodgers was sick and basically became available last week. So, where I stand is IF Rodgers gets the 1st team reps for 2 weeks straight and our offense comes out and sucks an egg verse Bama and looks the way we have looked with no sign on growth. THEN I will jump on the wagon that this offense might, MIGHT not work. But, I have a strong feeling that we will see major improvement in two weeks. I'll eat crow if we don't. But, I think we all will be pleasantly surprised.

Hail freaking State!

vCash
    I ain't expecting much against Bama regardless. Their athletes mucho better than ours and it's not close. And their depth is huge too. We have no depth at all much.

vCash
    Any player who tanks for one QB and plays hard for a different one should be cut immediately. I sure hope that's not the case and it's just that Rogers has a better feel for the offense and makes everyone look better.

In the real world, it doesn't matter whether you like your coworkers or not - you're still expected to give 100% effort at any job regardless of whatever personal feelings you have.

vCash
    Maybe Leach needs to cut everyone except the freshmen, unless some of them are not malcontents. There are a lot of unrecruited, salt-of-earth kids within 50 miles of Starkville.

vCash
    At least Saban usually takes the foot off the gas once he's up 40. AL may hurt whoever plays QB. This OL is going to get scarred for life.
    Leach didn't run anyone off either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Any player who tanks for one QB and plays hard for a different one should be cut immediately. I sure hope that's not the case and it's just that Rogers has a better feel for the offense and makes everyone look better.

In the real world, it doesn't matter whether you like your coworkers or not - you're still expected to give 100% effort at any job regardless of whatever personal feelings you have.
    While what you say is true, something looked bad off with the relational dynamics between offensive position groups. Plus, based on consistent and ongoing body language, they've looked deflated since running on the field at UK. Really is a peculiar thing to observe. When Rogers entered the game, their affect and demeanor clearly shifted in a positive direction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick91 View Post
    IF Will Rodgers practices with the first team O for two full weeks and starts verse the Elephants.
    ROGERS, not Rodgers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post

I don't think the offensive line is tanking. I think they don't believe in Costello. And maybe Costello doesn't communicate well which could be contributing to some of the confusion up front.

We need to remember that Leach's system is very QB driven and the QB makes a lot of checks at the LOS to get us in the right play. If Costello isn't doing that- and I don't think he is- or he can't execute it even if he can the confidence is going to suffer throughout the entire offensive unit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    At least Saban usually takes the foot off the gas once he's up 40. AL may hurt whoever plays QB. This OL is going to get scarred for life.
    Leach didn't run anyone off either.
    That Georgia defense is the one that scares me. They are brutal. They hit with bad intentions.

vCash
    The OL is not tanking, Will just releases the ball so much quicker. If you don't believe me re-watch the 1st quarter and the 4th quarter and tell me I'm incorrect. Will has been running this offense his whole life and just knows where the receivers are going to be. KJ is having to think about it. When Rogers releases so quick he is giving the the OL relief, because they don't have to hold the block so long. Just go back and watch and you will see what I'm talking about. Will knows where the receivers are going to be, what'd he hit 15 for 17 in 3 series?
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    I ain't expecting much against Bama regardless. Their athletes mucho better than ours and it's not close. And their depth is huge too. We have no depth at all much.
    Yep. Hell Byron Young is just another player on that team. Here he'd be our star DL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Yep. Hell Byron Young is just another player on that team. Here he'd be our star DL.
    Our DL is pretty good.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaChicagoDog View Post
    While what you say is true, something looked bad off with the relational dynamics between offensive position groups. Plus, based on consistent and ongoing body language, they've looked deflated since running on the field at UK. Really is a peculiar thing to observe. When Rogers entered the game, their affect and demeanor clearly shifted in a positive direction.
    I seemed to notice that as well. Something else I noticed. When O was on bench, camera showed KJ trying to pump up the OL. The look on their faces said it all. Like they could care less. I saw a different reaction when Will came in.

KJ seems like a good kid, I hate it for him. Like Stevens, that is a tough gig to win a locker room in one month. I think it is like why should I lay it on the line when the QB won't do it? I remember the reaction when Shrader copter was executed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Our DL is pretty good.
    Our DL has been good - again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    I seemed to notice that as well. Something else I noticed. When O was on bench, camera showed KJ trying to pump up the OL. The look on their faces said it all. Like they could care less. I saw a different reaction when Will came in.

KJ seems like a good kid, I hate it for him. Like Stevens, that is a tough gig to win a locker room in one month. I think it is like why should I lay it on the line when the QB won't do it? I remember the reaction when Shrader copter was executed.
    I watched that on the sidelines as well. A lot of players at that level, at least QB's, while they certainly have to sacrifice and work hard to channel their talent and build/refine their skills, get used to a lot of life going the way they want it to from an early age. Being told "no" or being/feeling invisible is not something they've had to worry a whole lot about. So for him to do the leadership thing with the OL and get either no response or a negative response from them, be flailing in this offense, draft stock evaporating, and having it all happen a looong way from home has to be a mind f**k.

That said, it's football in the SEC. He has a degree from Stanford, a home in the OC and will probably be just fine in the long run. Question: other than Justin Fields and Gardner M, how rare is it for a transfer QB to come in and light it up in year 1? Even Burrows had a year to take in the culture, (part of) the offense, and earn the respect of his team before becoming who he became.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    The OL is not tanking, Will just releases the ball so much quicker. If you don't believe me re-watch the 1st quarter and the 4th quarter and tell me I'm incorrect. Will has been running this offense his whole life and just knows where the receivers are going to be. KJ is having to think about it. When Rogers releases so quick he is giving the the OL relief, because they don't have to hold the block so long. Just go back and watch and you will see what I'm talking about. Will knows where the receivers are going to be, what'd he hit 15 for 17 in 3 series?
    This EXACTLY!! Plus, Rogers is so much more mobil. In this offense, holding the ball too long is really, really bad. It puts much more pressure on the O-line as well as giving linebackers and defensive backs more time to close on receivers.

vCash
    I do believe we will get things moving once the QB situation is settled... everything else about our football program is much improved.. defense, special teams, strength and conditioning, and discipline.. those 4 parts of our program are back up to SEC caliber.. I still believe Leach will be here a long time and we will have a 10 win season again in the next 3 to 5 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post

That slide short of the sticks with the game on the line in the UPIG game was probably a helluva lot more deflating than the pick6.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaChicagoDog View Post
    I watched that on the sidelines as well. A lot of players at that level, at least QB's, while they certainly have to sacrifice and work hard to channel their talent and build/refine their skills, get used to a lot of life going the way they want it to from an early age. Being told "no" or being/feeling invisible is not something they've had to worry a whole lot about. So for him to do the leadership thing with the OL and get either no response or a negative response from them, be flailing in this offense, draft stock evaporating, and having it all happen a looong way from home has to be a mind f**k.

That said, it's football in the SEC. He has a degree from Stanford, a home in the OC and will probably be just fine in the long run. Question: other than Justin Fields and Gardner M, how rare is it for a transfer QB to come in and light it up in year 1? Even Burrows had a year to take in the culture, (part of) the offense, and earn the respect of his team before becoming who he became.
    Scam Newton did just fine

vCash
    I believe you that he gets rid of the ball much quicker. But, even during most of his throws the pocket was much better even comparing the same time as Costello.