Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- I Don?t Give A %*^+ Edition

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    LOL. You’re a coach for goodness sakes.

So the new wide splits take no time to adjust to? Or does that not fit your narrative? Just trying to figure out why you didn’t include that obvious point in your post.
    I'm literally using the wider line splits that Leach uses. So I know exactly what the ins and outs are. Our problem at State is that the better athletes on the SEC DL's are whipping our ass in space- using their athleticism. There is no adjusting to that. It's not going away. It's what they didnt face on a week to week basis in the Big 12 and Pac 12.

I adjust in HS because we have a more varied offense. We zone block, we power block and run reads on the DL, we run the counter, we cut block, and gap block. Leach doesnt do all that.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I'm literally using the wider line splits that Leach uses. So I know exactly what the ins and outs are. Our problem at State is that the better athletes on the SEC DL's are whipping our ass in space- using their athleticism. There is no adjusting to that. It's not going away. It's what they didnt face on a week to week basis in the Big 12 and Pac 12.

I adjust in HS because we have a more varied offense. We zone block, we power block and run reads on the DL, we run the counter, we cut block, and gap block. Leach doesnt do all that.
    Gotcha. I didn’t Realize you had experience with this
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't care. Leach will get it going.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    He will. He’s too smart to not do what’s necessary. His legacy is tied to his stint at MSU.

As I’ve said, us struggling early in his tenure could be a blessing in disguise as it’ll force adjustments.

First thing he needs to do is call his former GA Lincoln and discuss the evolution of the Air raid from Tech to Oklahoma. Oklahoma can’t play defense, but they’ve scored bunches on Bama and Georgia recently
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Every national college football analyst said Leach needed a more viable run game for the air raid to work in the SEC. They're right. Also, I'd say Leach needs a good, tough dual threat QB at the helm b/c at any snap he can take off for 10+ yards if they drop into an 8 man zone.
    That is exactly what will make Leach successful and MSU is the perfect place to pull that off. Is Leach smart enough to see that? A dual threat guy can can throw a short pass would be lethal.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash

He had a 7-2 record against the same team we just got our ass beat by yesterday and had no problem putting up a shit ton of points on them. We currently have the worst center and right tackle I have ever seen in my life. Jackson has never played in the SEC and was not recruited By Leach and Eiland has been below average at right tackle his entire career (which is why he was moved out of that spot). I do not know if Leach will work here but he has done this against similar competition with much better results than he is currently getting for a very long time. We are going to have to give him time to get his OL recruits in here before we know anything for sure.

vCash
    A) SEC DL players are elite or very good

B) Our wide splits allow those athletes to use multiple moves on our OL guys- we are at a disadvantage

C) Because of the speed of SEC DL's- stunts they run get to the QB more often than stunts run by teams like Iowa State, Washington, Utah, etc

D) Our run game is so basic it doesnt give the DL's anything to really prepare for

And for the money:

Our OL coach has been an Air Raid guy most of his career and has worked for Mumme and Leach. His OL's at Wash State in 2018 and 2019 allowed the fewest sacks in the conference. So tell me- what has changed? Leach has his guy coaching the OL. This guy was the awesome in the Pac12- what changed?
    1) No, not ever SEC player is magically more athletic just because of his logo. Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, USC... those teams can recruit nationally and have a ton of talent. The difference is the middling or poor SEC teams still have athletes as good as the upper half of other conferences, BUT we've been getting destroyed by Arky and Kentucky who absolutely do not have superior athletes to USC, Oregon 2000's Texas and Texas A&M, or any of the other teams Leach used to block.

2) We actually DON'T have wide splits on the interior, yet those guys get beat all the time.

3) even if wide splits = losing 1 on 1's, it is NOT an excuse to watch a man run past you as you continue to wait for someone to hit. That's poor assignment coaching. It has nothing to do with angles.

4) You avoided my main point: You're implying that the OL problems are due to Leach's SYSTEM (ie wide splits), and not poor OL coaching or poor OL players. Run blocking -grabbing a defender and shoving him- has little to do with wide splits. Yet we suck at it too. The odds of us sucking at run blocking, BUT we'd be really good at pass pro were it not for Leach makes little sense. If we suck at both it's probably coaching or personnel.

5) as for hy his OL's were good the last 2 years at WSU but not here... I don't know, it's almost like he had time to recruit and coach up his guys vs inherit a poorly recruited OL and have no Spring ball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    1) No, not ever SEC player is magically more athletic just because of his logo. Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, USC... those teams can recruit nationally and have a ton of talent. The difference is the middling or poor SEC teams still have athletes as good as the upper half of other conferences, BUT we've been getting destroyed by Arky and Kentucky who absolutely do not have superior athletes to USC, Oregon 2000's Texas and Texas A&M, or any of the other teams Leach used to block.

2) We actually DON'T have wide splits on the interior, yet those guys get beat all the time.

3) even if wide splits = losing 1 on 1's, it is NOT an excuse to watch a man run past you as you continue to wait for someone to hit. That's poor assignment coaching. It has nothing to do with angles.

4) You avoided my main point: You're implying that the OL problems are due to Leach's SYSTEM (ie wide splits), and not poor OL coaching or poor OL players. Run blocking -grabbing a defender and shoving him- has little to do with wide splits. Yet we suck at it too. The odds of us sucking at run blocking, BUT we'd be really good at pass pro were it not for Leach makes little sense. If we suck at both it's probably coaching or personnel.

5) as for hy his OL's were good the last 2 years at WSU but not here... I don't know, it's almost like he had time to recruit and coach up his guys vs inherit a poorly recruited OL and have no Spring ball
    And when we do hire a new coach who will probably be someone that runs it a lot because at MSU we always do the exact opposite of whoever was coaching before- it will be "give so and so time to get his players in. We've had years of all pass blocking and it takes time to transition from that."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And when we do hire a new coach who will probably be someone that runs it a lot because at MSU we always do the exact opposite of whoever was coaching before- it will be "give so and so time to get his players in. We've had years of all pass blocking and it takes time to transition from that."
    Well, ADs want to please the fans, and fans typically want ot fix the flaws of the old coach... so yeah, we're likely to hire a coach who's a change of pace. Sucks.

vCash
    I don't see how anyone can say Rogers is the answer when he's only played a handful of snaps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    blind faith, I love it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Well for one he had OL at Wazzou that had been in Leach?s system for a number of years and were specifically recruited to run that scheme while ours have only been for 4 games and no Spring practice.

Perhaps that too much common sense though. Not sure.
    Damn, you are dense.

vCash
    Changing the quarterback is a good start.