Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why Pittman succeeding and MSU is not?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    Arkansas is like Mullen's first year at State. There's some talent and much better coaching than the prior staff. They are competitive but the truth is that they've beaten two really bad teams. The difference in those teams is that Mullen was also the OC and play caller and Pittman is relying on coordinators that will leave when they're successful and won't be easily replaced.
    To compare them with us at this point is a little apples vs oranges because of our massive change in offensive systems but our offense definitely looks as if it is not well coached at this point. I guess time will tell.
    The problem with the Coach O model that Arkansas is using is it's only as good as the coordinators. And if they are good they will inevitably move on. Which means constant change and a lack of stability. So that model may yield LSU 2019- but it could also yield LSU 2020 as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I think that's the product of a QB that makes slow decisions and an OL that doesn't know how to pick up blitzes. I don't believe that'll be an issue in the future.
    I haven't counted, but I saw a graphic that said A&M only blitzed twice...which tells you even more about how bad they're struggling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    I haven't counted, but I saw a graphic that said A&M only blitzed twice...which tells you even more about how bad they're struggling.
    My eyes saw them blitz more than that
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The problem with the Coach O model that Arkansas is using is it's only as good as the coordinators. And if they are good they will inevitably move on. Which means constant change and a lack of stability. So that model may yield LSU 2019- but it could also yield LSU 2020 as well.
    Correct
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    With the wide splits and a DL shooting the gap without being touched makes it look like a blitz when it's not. Rewatch the game.

vCash
    I’ve got a one word answer - turnovers

Ark is having a year like Croom did where key turnovers and defensive scores are winning games for them and it’s unsustainable. Despite that they still could have easily lost to us and Ole miss

They are playing hard but it’s a bit of fools gold.

For us our offense has lost their confidence. The QB doesn’t trust the line and the rest of the squad doesn’t trust the qb. But if we just had half the turnovers (which would still be too many) we are probably at least 3-1

vCash
    A blitz is rushing 5 or more.... they brought 4 a good bit.

vCash
    - ARK isn't undergoing as drastic an offensive change as MSU so transition is easier as well as making it easier to pickup minus having a spring.
    - We apparently have a culture problem that stems back to Moorhead letting the players run all over him. Kind of how it was late Sherrill when Croom arrived although this may be worse.
    - Player types as we are seeing evidently are far more important for this type of offense. Our Oline sucks at pass blocking and our WRs have no YAC ability. We have young talented Olineman that will improve and Leach will recruit the type he needs and same goes for our WRs. Also we may need another Oline coach although I'm not ready to call it just yet.
    - KJ (when given time) makes bad decisions. Not sure what's going on here but Will Rogers showed in limited action he is the better option at least so far.

* Others are quick to point out that Leach's offense just won't work in the SEC against SEC players but first thing that comes to my mind is do they not realize that we field SEC players also? Someone posted a graph of NFL picks on teams in the PAC vs SEC recently on here and outside of Bama there wasn't much difference. Regardless of how many games USC, Oregon, WASH, UCLA, Utah, Stanford, Cal, etc are winning they have put just as many or close to the same number of players in the NFL. Since 2000 the SEC is 20-16 vs PAC 12 teams with the average game being decided by around 2 pts. Remember National Championship favored Bama (before losing to FLA in the SECC) losing their bowl
    game to undefeated Utah in '08 by two TDs? Btw Utah should've been in the NC but FLA (who lost to OM) and a 1 lose OK (interesting tidbit: lost to TX that year which in turn went in as the #1 team in the country and lost to Mike Leach led Red Raiders) end up going instead. I'm not being biased for Utah either as I believe '04 Auburn should've been playing in the NC. Anyway my point is that the SEC isn't so much different as far as star recruits and future NFL players as other conferences outside of Bama the last decade.
    Last edited by Matt3467; 10-19-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Stop looking 2 inches in front of your face

Leach's offense will give us ceiling we've never had. Isn't that worth a little bit of a wait?
    Yes.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I think that's the product of a QB that makes slow decisions and an OL that doesn't know how to pick up blitzes. I don't believe that'll be an issue in the future.
    Teams are only blitzing a couple of times a game bub.