Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We win today if Will Rogers starts

vCash

We win today if Will Rogers starts

Why do MSU coaches play veterans over better players? It's insane. I think Rogers has to start going forward though. If he can get us to 21-28 this year we will have a chance to win some games and I think that will tip the scales for us the second half of the year.

I'm encouraged about the future. We are playing a lot of young players- Rogers, Marks, D. Johnson, Walley, Cross, Dolla Bill, and Cole Smith on offense. And then our defense has a lot of young players too- Pickering, Crumedy, Brule, Preston, Forbes, and Emerson. Once we add in guys like Tulu and Dean and then our recruits like Nabors, Knox, Jacobi Moore, Pounders, and hopefully win some battles for art Cooper and Callaway the future is really bright.

Losing sucks right now but I think we're pretty close to getting this turned around.

I thought Heath and Osiris played well today after I spent all last week bashing them. I hope they have turned a corner and finish the year strong.

Not a lot we can do about the o-line. Hevesy recruited most of the seniors we have been playing and now people see why I complained so hard. **** that guy. We probably need to bring in about 3-4 JUCO offensive linemen and then hold an all out competition next year.

Our defense is legit- they really only allowed the two long TD drives and I can live with that any game. Aside from the blocked punt we were solid again on special teams. Hopefully we can find a punt returner that can bust some returns like Kevin Prentiss used to.

Once Leach gets us going we're going to be really good. Our young guys are taking their lumps right now but their time is coming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Once Leach gets us going we're going to be really good. Our young guys are taking their lumps right now but their time is coming.
    I agree in principle. We looked better today than the last 2 weeks. We will kill it when CML gets everyone on the same page. Patience. It is happening and it will be glorious.

vCash
    Why do MSU coaches play veterans over better players? It's insane. I think Rogers has to start going forward though. If he can get us to 21-28 this year we will have a chance to win some games and I think that will tip the scales for us the second half of the year.

I'm encouraged about the future. We are playing a lot of young players- Rogers, Marks, D. Johnson, Walley, Cross, Dolla Bill, and Cole Smith on offense. And then our defense has a lot of young players too- Pickering, Crumedy, Brule, Preston, Forbes, and Emerson. Once we add in guys like Tulu and Dean and then our recruits like Nabors, Knox, Jacobi Moore, Pounders, and hopefully win some battles for art Cooper and Callaway the future is really bright.

Losing sucks right now but I think we're pretty close to getting this turned around.

I thought Heath and Osiris played well today after I spent all last week bashing them. I hope they have turned a corner and finish the year strong.

Not a lot we can do about the o-line. Hevesy recruited most of the seniors we have been playing and now people see why I complained so hard. **** that guy. We probably need to bring in about 3-4 JUCO offensive linemen and then hold an all out competition next year.

Our defense is legit- they really only allowed the two long TD drives and I can live with that any game. Aside from the blocked punt we were solid again on special teams. Hopefully we can find a punt returner that can bust some returns like Kevin Prentiss used to.

Yawn.

You can bitch all you want about Hevesy but that man made some damn good offensive lineman and put a bunch in the league. Our offensive line went to shit the day he left. You might not like the way he recruited but I can remember when he was here that lineman knocked their men off the line of scrimmage. Now they get their asses handed too them by three guys that can pin their ears back and rush.

vCash
    I think there's a shot we would've won. We gotta stay healthy tho cause I ain't seeing much depth anywhere really.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trojandawg View Post
    Yawn.

You can bitch all you want about Hevesy but that man made some damn good offensive lineman and put a bunch in the league. Our offensive line went to shit the day he left. You might not like the way he recruited but I can remember when he was here that lineman knocked their men off the line of scrimmage. Now they get their asses handed too them by three guys that can pin their ears back and rush.
    You must have become a MSU fan in 2017 and missed 2015 and most of 2016. He's absolute trash. Gets credit for Gabe Jackson who he didn't even recruit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    I think there's a shot we would've won. We gotta stay healthy tho cause I ain't seeing much depth anywhere really.
    I agree. We don't have any margin for error. Can't have punts blocked or turnovers. I'm thinking if Will starts it's maybe a 21-14 game. Not including our Pick-6.

vCash
    You must have become a MSU fan in 2017 and missed 2015 and most of 2016. He's absolute trash. Gets credit for Gabe Jackson who he didn't even recruit.
    He is dang good coach, crap recruiter and can be a turd but can coach OL very well. We have Jenkins, Rankin, Phillips, Calhoun, Williams, Jackson and Champion in the NFL and others over the years like Day played as well.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Will has the IT factor. The entire offense picked it up when he came in. Turnovers are still killer. At least we got one in our favor today.

During pregame warmups, KJ was lobbing balls and Will was firing them in. Something is wrong with KJ. I do not know what it is. The receivers seem to pep up when the gun slinger is in the game as well.

Surely leach can see this. Let?s hope he does.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    KJ had a hell of an arm week 1. I am sure having only 1.5 seconds and taking shots literally every single down, may some effect on his arm strength. I may need to go back and rewatch the Ark game and see if he took a shot to his arm or shoulder.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I can't see it Todd, not sure Leach will ever make the adjustments in his offense and after the last three weeks Stevie Wonder can see Leach hasn't made adjustments. We had minus two yards rushing with only 217 yards of offense.

it's early but with Joe and now Leach, we are headed to the bottom "again".

Leach is 60, not sure he can recruit and with this season going so bad I'm not sure recruiting will be improved.

vCash
    We will be vastly improved if he starts Rodgers. His quicker release makes it easier on the WR and the OL.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    I'm at the point I hope Covid cancels the season. We might beat Vandy but we aren't winning again other than that. And I'm not even sure we'll win that one. 6 years from being #1 in the country and we're hoping to win 2 damn games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'm at the point I hope Covid cancels the season. We might beat Vandy but we aren't winning again other than that. And I'm not even sure we'll win that one.
    Me too. Painful to watch. I hope Costello doesn't decide to stick around another year. He came here to polish his resume and did the opposite. I don't want him to even be an option for us in 2021. As far as the OL goes....maybe we can find a couple of guys on the open market to come in and help.

vCash
    Our OL still stinks, but with Rogers in there, he is much more decisive and has much more zip. I agree that things may not be good now, but the future is really bright. Check this out.

QB: Rogers seems to be at minimum very capable of running the offense, and he may end up being even better than that. Then, you are bringing in Sawyer Robertson and Daniel Greek. Robertson seems to be really, really talented. Future looks secure here

RB: The two freshmen both look like they’ll be very good. Marks has more of an explosive side while D. Johnson seems to be more physical and breaks tackles. I really don’t see the Howard kid from Starkville coming in and doing much in this offense, but that’s okay with who we have. Maybe we can add one more this class. Still, future is secure here.

WR: I thought the WRs looked better this game. I feel Walley is a future star. We feel good about Tulu. Then, you are bringing in Buckhaulter, Jacobi Moore, Knox, and Nabers. You have to think at least two of that group can become really good players for you. Future is secure here.

OL: Here is the question mark. Still, talent really doesn’t seem to be the issue more than just missing guys right in front of them. Eiland got embarrassed, but he is a senior. Cross has been good, I think Dolla Bill is good in time. We have to continue to recruit well here, or at least do what Mullen did and develop. This is the only offensive spot where I’m uncertain on the future. But I think you have to try to be as bad as they are right now. Only way to go is up.

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'm at the point I hope Covid cancels the season. We might beat Vandy but we aren't winning again other than that. And I'm not even sure we'll win that one. 6 years from being #1 in the country and we're hoping to win 2 damn games.
    I disagree. I see 4 more winnable games on the schedule (Vandy, Auburn, OM, and Missouri), but we have to commit to Rogers and show SOME improvement on the OL. Not saying we win all four, but 3-7/4-6 is still on the table- and that?s about what I predicted going into the season anyway.

It?s not a great sample size, but Rogers got three series today. He was 15/18 for 120 yards, 1 TD, and most importantly 0 turnovers. The offense was more fluid with him in the game, and it?s something we can build on if we commit to Rogers.

I find it funny that many of the people who predicted a 3-7 type year in August are the ones freaking out the most, when it looks like that?s exactly where we are heading... I predicted 6-6 before the All-SEC schedule went into effect, and a 3-7 record with this schedule is pretty much the same thing as 6-6 in a normal year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    I disagree. I see 4 more winnable games on the schedule (Vandy, Auburn, OM, and Missouri), but we have to commit to Rogers and show SOME improvement on the OL. Not saying we win all four, but 3-7/4-6 is still on the table- and that?s about what I predicted going into the season anyway.

It?s not a great sample size, but Rogers got three series today. He was 15/18 for 120 yards, 1 TD, and most importantly 0 turnovers. The offense was more fluid with him in the game, and it?s something we can build on if we commit to Rogers.

I find it funny that many of the people who predicted a 3-7 type year in August are the ones freaking out the most, when it looks like that?s exactly where we are heading... I predicted 6-6 before the All-SEC schedule went into effect, and a 3-7 record with this schedule is pretty much the same thing as 6-6 in a normal year.
    I think it has to do with most here thought the defense would be really bad and leach would field a good offense. If you're doubting leach's ability to field a good offense, all-the-sudden this hire is very concerning. Now we are only 4 games in, so it's still very early.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I think it has to do with most here thought the defense would be really bad and leach would field a good offense. If you're doubting leach's ability to field a good offense, all-the-sudden this hire is very concerning. Now we are only 4 games in, so it's still very early.
    That?s fair, and I agree it?s very early to determine whether or not this scheme will work.

On the flip side, shouldn?t what we?ve seen from the defense be exciting? These same people said we would be terrible on defense this year and never have a decent defense while Leach is here, but that is clearly not true. Our defense has been solid at very worst- in reality it?s been one of the best defenses in the league so far.

As bad as we?ve been offensively, we are still not forcing the defense to stay on the field for a bunch of plays (67.8 plays per game is tied for third fewest in the SEC). Imagine what that number looks like if this offense starts clicking, and we aren?t turning it over or punting every possession. If you give Leach good defensive talent and the budget to hire a good DC, he will put a good defense on the field.

To me, the OL play and future DC hires are what will make or break the Leach tenure. It?s that simple, IMO.

vCash
    Will Rodgers quick release is helping the OL, the defenders were not getting to him, like they were against KJ. KJ has been holding the ball too long, because he's not exactly sure where his receivers are going to be. Rodgers has been running this offense since he was a HS freshman and he just instinctively knows where his WR are going to be. I believe we will win some games with Will at QB.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Will Rodgers quick release is helping the OL, the defenders were not getting to him, like they were against KJ. KJ has been holding the ball too long, because he's not exactly sure where his receivers are going to be. Rodgers has been running this offense since he was a HS freshman and he just instinctively knows where his WR are going to be. I believe we will win some games with Will at QB.
    This is where I’m at. The OL still needs to improve vastly. But, Will gives us a better chance because of exactly what you said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Yep. Right now Will is more mobile in the pocket, more decisive, and has a quicker release than KJ. He covers up our OL issues better than KJ.

Benching a senior grad transfer who you brought in to start this season is a really tough thing to do, but Leach has to go with Will. I?m not sure how many games we win from here on out with Will, but he gives us the best chance to move the ball and score points.