Thread: Men's Basketball...team starts practice

vCash

Men's Basketball...team starts practice

Official start of pactice recently began

Projected Rotation....

PG Deivon Smith, Iverson Molinar
    SG Iverson Molinar, DJ Stewart/Keondre Montgomery
    SF DJ Stewart, Jalen Johnson (transfer)
    PF Tolu Smith, Jalen Johnson (transfer)/Javian Davis (transfer)
    C Abdul Ado, Javian Davis (transfer)

- Keep an eye on DJ Stewart as a go to type option for this team. He has been noted as very good defensively as well. Appears to be stepping into a Q Weatherspoon type role.

- Also, Coach Howland has spoken very highly of Iverson Molinar regarding his overall improvement over the summer.

- Freshman point guard Deivon Smith is a high riser point guard, electrifying dunker, really pushes the ball in the transition game. My opi ion, he's very capable of turning heads as a freshman.

- Abdul Ado is back as the veteran of this squad. He's been the core of this team's interior defense. Noted defensive stopper, rebounder...looking to continue improving on things, help his team win.

- Been hearing very good things about Western Kentucky transfer Tolu Smith...the same for Louisiana transfer Jalen Johnson.

- Alabama transfer Javian Davis ruled eligible. Noted back to the basket player. He's big , strong, he's a load down low physically. Appears to finish well at the basket offensively.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 10-18-2020 at 08:00 PM.

vCash
    We will be a blue collar team this year and I like it. We have a hard nosed athletic group who I like better than teams of the recent past. Deivion, Molinar and Stewart are all ultra athletic and will give alot of teams problems. Tolu, Jalen, Ado and Davis will all be solid at the 4/5 respectively.... if we can get some help from our young guys, I think we will have a good team, better than what people would think

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    We will be a blue collar team this year and I like it. We have a hard nosed athletic group who I like better than teams of the recent past. Deivion, Molinar and Stewart are all ultra athletic and will give alot of teams problems. Tolu, Jalen, Ado and Davis will all be solid at the 4/5 respectively.... if we can get some help from our young guys, I think we will have a good team, better than what people would think
    Agree and I think that fits us well. They have talent but hopefully we don't have drama on this team.

vCash
    Deivon Smith note....

According to Coach Howland, Deivon Smith (listed 6-1, 165) turned in a running vertical of 46.5 inches. Also, that would be the highest of any player in the 2019 NBA combine.

I remember reading former Ole Miss point guard Stefan Moody having a having a 46 inch vertical. Moody could flat get off the ground while at Ole Miss. Appears to have been one of the highest leaping point guards the college game has seen.

Few additional notes...point guards
    - Muggsy Bogues 44.3 vertical (NBA combine)
    - Nate Robinson 43.5 vertical (NBA Combine)
    - High flying NBA point guard standout Isaiah Thomas, with a 40 inch vertical at the 2011 NBA combine.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 10-18-2020 at 03:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    Deivon Smith note....

According to Coach Howland, Deivon Smith (listed 6-1, 165) turned in a running vertical of 46.5 inches. Also, that would be the highest of any player in the 2019 NBA combine.

I remember reading former Ole Miss point guard Stefan Moody having a having a 46 inch vertical. Moody could flat get off the ground while at Ole Miss. Appears to have been one of the highest leaping point guards the college game has seen.

- High flying NBA point guard standout Isaiah Thomas, with a 40 inch vertical at the 2011 NBA combine.
    That's exciting. His size though is a little concerning... he's tiny

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    That's exciting. His size though is a little concerning... he's tiny
    He's put on a decent amount of muscle this offseason. Saw him the other day and he looked good. Can't do anything about his height though lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    Deivon Smith note....

Wonder what Zimmer's was? He is one of best leapers I remember at MSU. Bowers was pretty good too. Bowers/Zimmerman backcourt was Special.

Looking forward to seeing this years team.

vCash
    Hope we can find some 3pt shooting. Excited to see some new blood in there.