Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 29 offensive drives against KY & ARK; looking at the ugly stats that may give hope...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Here's the larger point, several people are saying just stop turning the ball over and we will will. Well, yeah. But the turnovers are the symptoms not the cause.

The cause is our O-line's inability to block 3 with 5, the QB's inability to process the zone defense and make the right read, and our WR's inability to find the soft spot in the zone and make the play. So it's not as simple as just stop turning the ball over.
    If our 5 cannot block 3, we will not be able to run either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    If our 5 cannot block 3, we will not be able to run either.
    It's a lot easier for the D line when they know you're throwing every play and all they have to do is pin their ears back and head for the QB. Our problems boil down to one thing: we have zero run game so defenses don't have to respect that aspect. We are one dimensional. Our O will struggle until some additional runs are mixed in and SEC DCs have to think more. It is literally that simple. Don't give me the 'it's worked for 20yrs' BS and '...it worked at UK...'. UK wasn't that great when Leach was there as OC, they were just better than normal UK. It was also 20 years ago and the SEC is a lot different. I'm not dogging Leach but if he doesn't adapt his time here will be short.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Great post, dude. Like everyone else, I'm astounded at the turnovers. They seemed so out of whack that I had to try to get some perspective. It's only a two game stretch, but it really is extraordinary. Over at Football Outsiders, the FEI offensive ratings keep track of NCAA teams' turnover rates. (% of offensive drives that end in a turnover.) Going back to 2010, the worst turnover rate out of all those roughly 1,000 teams was 22.6%. Not counting turnovers on downs, we're way beyond that at 34.5% over the past two games. Good Lord, y'all. That's nuts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Great post, dude. Like everyone else, I'm astounded at the turnovers. They seemed so out of whack that I had to try to get some perspective. It's only a two game stretch, but it really is extraordinary. Over at Football Outsiders, the FEI offensive ratings keep track of NCAA teams' turnover rates. (% of offensive drives that end in a turnover.) Going back to 2010, the worst turnover rate out of all those roughly 1,000 teams was 22.6%. Not counting turnovers on downs, we're way beyond that at 34.5% over the past two games. Good Lord, y'all. That's nuts.
    My mind has started to block part of these last 2 games out of my memory, but I don't really remember that many flukish TOs. Most seem to be pretty straightforward carelessness... the int off walley's hands in end zone being the exception. Oh and Kylin fumbled opening drive against ark, but somehow replay let the play stand.