Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves NLCS Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Pitching has just changed. Guys don't pitch to contact, and part of the reason why is because hitters are gunning for extra-base hits. A guy like Maddux could easily pitch to contact, induce a bunch of grounders and even give up his share of hits, but if they're all singles with a few doubles, the damage is minimized. Now if you pitch too much to contact, those singles and doubles become doubles and HR and suddenly you're giving up 4-5 runs instead of 1-2.

It's just harder to pitch now. It's also harder to hit now, too. Which is why you see so many K's but also so many HR.
    BABIP is at an all time low. BA is too. K''s are up. I don't think pitchers are scared to pitch to contact at all. Pitching is catching up with the launch angle era a little. My opinion is that and due to players no longer being able to use video during games. Video usage was eliminated and players have struggled to make AB to AB adjustments. Also, shifts. Shifts are working. I'm amazed that a MLB hitter struggles to beat the shift as much as they do.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 10-15-2020 at 01:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    BABIP is at an all time low. BA is too. K''s are up. I don't think pitchers are scared to pitch to contact at all. Pitching is catching up with the launch angle era a little. My opinion is that and due to players no longer being able to use video during games. Video usage was eliminated and players have struggled to make AB to AB adjustments. Also, shifts. Shifts are working. I'm amazed that a MLB hitter struggles to beat the shift as much as they do.
    BA is down because of the K's, but BABIP is not at an all-time low. Not at all.

It was .292 this year, which is, yes, the lowest it's been in almost 30 years, but it was also a shortened season. Last year it was .298, and since 1995 it's been between .292 and .302 every year, typically between .295 and .300.

In the 80's and early 90's it was consistently between .280 and .290, and in the 60s and 70s it was typically below .280.

So BABIP has been trending up in general for a long time, though it's basically leveled out at around .300. Combine that with an increase in HR that continues, and pitchers are definitely more afraid to pitch to contact than they used to be.

vCash
    BABIP this year had the benefit of the NL DH. Take those DH's out and it drops even more. And it's the lowest it's been in 30 years, so it approaches all time lows. Again, lots of fly balls and hitting into shifts. I do think hitters are focusing on bombs like you say. I just think pitching is starting to figure it out some.
    But MLB has changed so many things, maybe it is a one year, shorten season. Seams, DH, finish innings relief pitching, double headers, eliminated video in games, etc.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 10-15-2020 at 06:31 PM.

vCash
    MLB should probably force 2 infielders on each side of 2nd base, and keep the DH in the NL. I'm not really a fan of taking away the shift, but it would make the game more fun. Maybe if shifts were gone, batters wouldn't feel the need to swing for the fences, which increases Ks (boring).

vCash
    If roles were reversed for this game and it was Maddux vs some no name rookie in the playoffs the rookie would have the game of his life and out pitch the future hall of famer. Hopefully we see that in the Braves favor tonite.

vCash
    What a performance by Bryce Wilson. Very composed. Has gone toe to toe with Kershaw.

vCash
    Wilson been a beast tonight.

vCash
    Pour it on em! 6-1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    What a performance by Bryce Wilson. Very composed. Has gone toe to toe with Kershaw.
    Kershaw is a great reg season pitcher but is an all time postseason Choke artist. Wison did a great job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Kershaw is a great reg season pitcher but is an all time postseason Choke artist. Wison did a great job.
    Yeah one of the best just not in the post season. Wilson was incredible!

vCash
    Good move to get martin in there. Hopefully this stops a comeback.

vCash
    Muncy is such a bitch. He just stared down Martin after his excitement of gettin out of that jam. The same dude that pimped a meaningless homer in game 2 and whose teammate acted a fool after getting an out in the NLDS.

Damn I don’t like that guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    BABIP this year had the benefit of the NL DH. Take those DH's out and it drops even more. And it's the lowest it's been in 30 years, so it approaches all time lows. Again, lots of fly balls and hitting into shifts. I do think hitters are focusing on bombs like you say. I just think pitching is starting to figure it out some.
    But MLB has changed so many things, maybe it is a one year, shorten season. Seams, DH, finish innings relief pitching, double headers, eliminated video in games, etc.
    Again, it was .298 last year so I think it's much more likely it was just an anomaly based on a smaller sample. It's not like that's been some trend.

vCash
    Chris Martin comes up huge after snitker screwed up not letting them announce the ph before he switched.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Muncy is such a bitch. He just stared down Martin after his excitement of gettin out of that jam. The same dude that pimped a meaningless homer in game 2 and whose teammate acted a fool after getting an out in the NLDS.

Damn I don’t like that guy.
    I'm with ya there! He's a punk!

vCash
    Huge win tonight!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Huge win tonight!
    Yep one more to go.

vCash
    Yep one more to go.
    Impressive! This team has some stones!

vCash
    If the braves can so this then Snikter should get a statue. He basically got rid of the deadweight at pitching, Floty and others, lost his best pitcher to injury and has Max Fried and Ian Anderson aas his 1@2. Lost his 2 best hitters for most of the year and had a Ad Hoc lineup with Dansby all over the order and changed the lineup till he got it right. Yep who else besides me said WTF FF batting second? Freddie Gonzales would've given up after Albies and Acuna went down. He has done a Manager of the year job. And most people said not to hire him.

vCash
    If the braves can so this then Snikter should get a statue. He basically got rid of the deadweight at pitching, Floty and others, lost his best pitcher to injury and has Max Fried and Ian Anderson aas his 1@2. Lost his 2 best hitters for most of the year and had a Ad Hoc lineup with Dansby all over the order and changed the lineup till he got it right. Yep who else besides me said WTF FF batting second? Freddie Gonzales would've given up after Albies and Acuna went down. He has done a Manager of the year job. And most people said not to hire him.
    Agree completely.