Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves NLCS Thread

vCash
    If the braves win tonight, punt game 4, to have our horses to take 1 of games 5-7

vCash
    I don't know what the failed comeback will do to the dodgers psyche, but I figure they have to be thinking about all the choke jobs they've had over the last 7 years. Hopefully they really start pressing today

vCash
    Post game last night, Braves beat writer David O'Brien asked Melancon if they can take any positive away from the game, even though they are up 2-0, after blowing a lead.

Might be the dumbest question I've ever heard. Melancon said he refused to answer that question because it didn't make any sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Post game last night, Braves beat writer David O'Brien asked Melancon if they can take any positive away from the game, even though they are up 2-0, after blowing a lead.

Might be the dumbest question I've ever heard. Melancon said he refused to answer that question because it didn't make any sense.
    Dumb question..... They didn't blow the lead since they still won w/o goin to extra innings. They just gave up a cushion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't know what the failed comeback will do to the dodgers psyche, but I figure they have to be thinking about all the choke jobs they've had over the last 7 years. Hopefully they really start pressing today
    Yep just like the 90's and early 2000's braves. Pressed more and more each year and it only got worse. Gotta play baseball loose.

vCash

That is the dumbest question ever. Dodgers scored all those runs in the 9th off a pitcher they'll never see again unless the Braves are WAY ahead or WAY behind. Tomlin just out there to try and eat some outs so they didn't have to use any of the top line guys. Stupid, stupid question by O'brien.

vCash

That’s the whole point of feeling comfortable with a big lead...it allows you to give up runs and still win the game.

Folks are trying their hardest to make it out like the dodgers actually are better off Than the Braves after their late rally. And the way muncy pimped that homer that didn’t even bring them to within one you’d think he felt the same way. BUT I guarantee you every person in that dodger clubhouse would trade scenarios with the Braves...I feel dumb even having to type that.

If anything it should help the Braves stay focused and keep their foot on the gas from here on out. Win tonight and be headed to the WS in 5.

vCash
    Realistically winning one of the next 3 sets things up highly into their favor with fried and Anderson for 6 and 7 with normal rest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Wonder where you were at? Now we have to worry if we win tomorrow is who goes game 4? Has to be Fried. Tomlin would be the number 4 but he has sucked and he pitched tonight.
    Fried will definitely not pitch Game 4. Honestly, I wouldn't even pitch him Game 5 unless the Dodgers win both of the next 2.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Fried will definitely not pitch Game 4. Honestly, I wouldn't even pitch him Game 5 unless the Dodgers win both of the next 2.
    I'm with you there. See if you can get 1 of the next 2 without using him and then you've got fried for game 6 and Anderson if you need game 7. I learned long ago in tournament/playoff baseball at some point you have to gamble with your pitching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I'm with you there. See if you can get 1 of the next 2 without using him and then you've got fried for game 6 and Anderson if you need game 7. I learned long ago in tournament/playoff baseball at some point you have to gamble with your pitching.
    You know though, I do long for the days where in a 7 game series your ace pitched games 1,4 and 7
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    You know though, I do long for the days where in a 7 game series your ace pitched games 1,4 and 7
    That was possible with rest days, but this year you just can't do it. That would mean Fried going Game 4 on 2 days' rest. That would be madness.

vCash
    It's funny to see people (in the media/on social media, not here) acting like the Dodgers are some offensive juggernaut that was just waiting to be unleashed and now will rampage.

First, they scored 1 run more than the Braves during the regular season. 1. They have scored 1 more run in 7 games in the postseason than the Braves as well. The Braves' offense is every bit the equal of the Dodgers. The question mark was the pitching and so far they've been unbelievable.

Also, if just scoring a bunch of runs in one game meant that now your offense was loose and would run rampant, the Braves wouldn't have shut the Dodgers down completely in Game 1 after they scored 12 on the Padres in Game 3 of that series.

The Dodgers may still be the better team, but it doesn't matter. Now the Braves just need to win 2 of the next 5.

vCash
    Me too! I also miss the days of starting pitchers shutting teams down for a full 9 innings. I've seen so many clutch pitching performances by starters in my lifetime and I miss it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    It's funny to see people (in the media/on social media, not here) acting like the Dodgers are some offensive juggernaut that was just waiting to be unleashed and now will rampage.

First, they scored 1 run more than the Braves during the regular season. 1. They have scored 1 more run in 7 games in the postseason than the Braves as well. The Braves' offense is every bit the equal of the Dodgers. The question mark was the pitching and so far they've been unbelievable.

Also, if just scoring a bunch of runs in one game meant that now your offense was loose and would run rampant, the Braves wouldn't have shut the Dodgers down completely in Game 1 after they scored 12 on the Padres in Game 3 of that series.

The Dodgers may still be the better team, but it doesn't matter. Now the Braves just need to win 2 of the next 5.
    Right on, agree 100% with everything! Braves are in fine shape can go 2 and 3 in the next 5 and get to the WS(hope it doesn't come down to a game 7 though).

vCash
    Me too! I also miss the days of starting pitchers shutting teams down for a full 9 innings. I've seen so many clutch pitching performances by starters in my lifetime and I miss it.
    Those days are long gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Those days are long gone.
    I know and it kinda sucks. I get nostalgic every now and again. Just something about watching a pitcher go out and win a big game going start to finish.

vCash
    I know and it kinda sucks. I get nostalgic every now and again. Just something about watching a pitcher go out and win a big game going start to finish.
    I'd settle for them making it thru 7-8 innings and turning it over to a closer. This 4/5 innings crap every start is awful.
    In the '91 series where Morris out dueled Smoltz - Morris threw 126 pitches over 10 innings - thats under 13 pitches an inning. Guys now are racking up 100 pitches in half that. Learn to GD pitch and throw strikes!
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I'd settle for them making it thru 7-8 innings and turning it over to a closer. This 4/5 innings crap every start is awful.
    In the '91 series where Morris out dueled Smoltz - Morris threw 126 pitches over 10 innings - thats under 13 pitches an inning. Guys now are racking up 100 pitches in half that. Learn to GD pitch and throw strikes!
    The strikeout is the money maker now. And striking out a ton of folks pushes up the pitch count. The evolution of offense has a lot to do with it.

vCash
    Pitching has just changed. Guys don't pitch to contact, and part of the reason why is because hitters are gunning for extra-base hits. A guy like Maddux could easily pitch to contact, induce a bunch of grounders and even give up his share of hits, but if they're all singles with a few doubles, the damage is minimized. Now if you pitch too much to contact, those singles and doubles become doubles and HR and suddenly you're giving up 4-5 runs instead of 1-2.

It's just harder to pitch now. It's also harder to hit now, too. Which is why you see so many K's but also so many HR.