Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm Worried More About Leach than I am His Offense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    When's the last time Kentucky threw a defensive shut out on us? Leach deserves a chance to fix this, but Saturday night is totally unacceptable. Leach had a week knowing exactly what Kentucky was gonna do, and he failed, miserably. New week, do better.
    Leach's biggest issue right now is we just went through a hard headed coach telling us that he was smarter than everyone else and his way would work. The past two games sure looks like the bullshit we have went through the past two years.

Leach needs to show something positive or some adjustments, whether it is personnel or playcallling.

vCash
    Guess that was why we struggled vs the same defense against Arkansas too. All the hell raising we were giving the team for the LSU performance. Personal responsibility is dead
    I'm talking program, not a game. If it were up to State fans, we'd run the damn option. We need a move to a better passing system. And people can't grasp these same issues have occurred everywhere Leach has been year one. It's going to be a rough year. You might as well settle in with it. In two years, if it's not working, we'll have a new coach. We've got better offensive players coming in next year. Hopefully we see improvement this year. The conference only schedule makes it tougher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I'm talking program, not a game. If it were up to State fans, we'd run the damn option. We need a move to a better passing system. And people can't grasp these same issues have occurred everywhere Leach has been year one. It's going to be a rough year. You might as well settle in with it. In two years, if it's not working, we'll have a new coach. We've got better offensive players coming in next year. Hopefully we see improvement this year. The conference only schedule makes it tougher.
    Don't know about the option part, but rest is reasonable.

vCash
    When's the last time Kentucky threw a defensive shut out on us? Leach deserves a chance to fix this, but Saturday night is totally unacceptable. Leach had a week knowing exactly what Kentucky was gonna do, and he failed, miserably. New week, do better.
    What's your point on the shut out question?

I don't disagree. I'm not defending Leach here or the performance this weekend or anything.

All I was pointing out was that most just wanted to be competitive and competent looking w/ LSU and we come out and destroy them. Then folks went crazy and we were the talk of college football and we suddenly we became world-beaters in some people's heads.

I was kinda fooled too after LSU but was skeptical of LSU more so at that point. And LSU MIGHT even be a bigger turd than we are so far this year. Ark shouldn't have happened and KY was an even worse performance but we at least thought it would be close.

The fact that people have already deemed Leach a failure just shows those people are weak and would probably give up on a play and limp off the field like the players the same people want to run down and complain about.

Leach definitely has to change something. But no one on here that is willing to post it knows enough about the locker room to be able to make any claims about what the problem is besides on the field play and effort.

vCash
    Don't know about the option part, but rest is reasonable.
    And we're better than what we saw this past week. I expected better than that. But we don't have a QB that's going to be great RIGHT NOW. That's a huge problem. Then you've got 3-5 players that don't want to play hard and give up. I think you'll see some different things this week as far as personnel. I still expect to lose to a better team.

vCash
    And we're better than what we saw this past week. I expected better than that. But we don't have a QB that's going to be great RIGHT NOW. That's a huge problem. Then you've got 3-5 players that don't want to play hard and give up. I think you'll see some different things this week as far as personnel. I still expect to lose to a better team.
    Cooter, if you had the responsibility of fielding the 11 guys on offense on Saturday, who are you rolling with at the 11 spots based off of production and effort so far this year?
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    Cooter, if you had the responsibility of fielding the 11 guys on offense on Saturday, who are you rolling with at the 11 spots based off of production and effort so far this year?
    Rogers at QB
    WR: Payton, Tulu, Walley, Shavers
    RB: Kylin (But I'd mix in the young guys- Marks looks good catching it and Johnson running it)
    Nothing we can do about OL personnel except switch positions and that's a mess

vCash
    I'm surprised at the number of people that thought this team was some loaded team. People can keep saying "this is the most talented team Leach has ever had" but it's not true. This bunch was a train wreck last year. It's very young in spots and is void of talent in others.
    And moving to a totally new offensive identity is a massive undertaking considering what we ran previously.
    Who knows it we're successful. But people screaming to go back to a run based offense because of two bad games are the reason our program struggles to advance.
    20 yards rushing vs a Prevent defense on the heels of the Arkansas debacle. Some of the worst coaching I've ever seen. We have some talent on offense.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I'm surprised at the number of people that thought this team was some loaded team. People can keep saying "this is the most talented team Leach has ever had" but it's not true. This bunch was a train wreck last year. It's very young in spots and is void of talent in others.
    And moving to a totally new offensive identity is a massive undertaking considering what we ran previously.
    Who knows it we're successful. But people screaming to go back to a run based offense because of two bad games are the reason our program struggles to advance.
    People expected a quarterback that was projected to be a top 2 round pick to come in here and look competent with a coach that has installed his offense pretty easily year one everywhere he has been. The problems you are talking about talent wise we?re supposedly on the defense, which is playing lights out. If you do not understand why people are up in arms about how bad we look offensively then I do not know what to tell you. He did not inherent a lack of talent on the Ol and that is very concerning. He inherited an all sec running back and that is a problem. He brought in his own quarterback and that is a problem. Ole Miss went from running the ball 65 % of the time last year to a complete offensive identity switch and they just scored 45 points on Alabama. We have issues much bigger than talent.
    Last edited by Jarius; 10-12-2020 at 10:46 AM.

vCash
    Rogers at QB
    WR: Payton, Tulu, Walley, Shavers
    RB: Kylin (But I'd mix in the young guys- Marks looks good catching it and Johnson running it)
    Nothing we can do about OL personnel except switch positions and that's a mess
    That's the QB, WR, and RB combo I had in my head as well. I'm still just confused beyond anything as to why Tulu has not gotten a shot to do something in the games. He got on the field in the final minute Saturday, but you're telling me he won't put forth more effort than Mitchell and won't catch the ball better than Cam Gardner did Saturday?

Walley probably should have caught that ball in the endzone admittedly and I'm sure he'd tell you that, but he's really really impressed me. He's getting a feel for things and getting comfortable.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    20 yards rushing vs a Prevent defense on the heels of the Arkansas debacle. Some of the worst coaching I've ever seen. We have some talent on offense.
    Blame the OL and QB. But fact is, we dropped two TD catches and our WR talent in the upper class is bad. But we stunk vs KY. Can't argue that.
    OL has to be better and Leach has to do more than two running plays. But KY is pretty good vs the run too.

vCash
    Tulu absolutely needs to be returning some kicks. Walley has put the ball on the ground 2 out of 4 chances I think. Williams is sure handed, so I get that. But when the offense isnt scoring, we need a HR hitter back there.

vCash
    For some reason, I think we will play well this weekend. People going off the deep end with long term assessments following week 3 need to get a grip. That is insanity.

The part that most bothers me is we had an entire week to adjust to the drop 8 and our gameplan was identical to the prior week against Arkansas. I've been very critical of our gameplan which I feel is fair. I am going to hold out hope we adjust (or execute) in some capacity this week. I know Leach is stubborn but we are going to have to make a team that drops 8 return to respecting the line of scrimmage. Surely TAMU will drop 8 into a zone. I think we could put up points if someone is dumb enough to line up and play man.

We need something positive to happen and I hope that begins on Saturday.
    Last edited by hp22; 10-12-2020 at 10:58 AM.

vCash
    what are we supposed to think when it's 8 bad games instead of 2 .....OK, so we don't yet have the players to implement his offense with precision and efficiency ... Do we not adapt until we do ? Where are the contingency plans if something doesn't work ? Why do we keep running something that doesn't work ? Where is the imagination ? There are a lot of first downs out there that a competent running play would convert - how long are we supposed to wait when what we see in front of us is absolutely adamant with no room for suggestion or improvement ? ..... I get the recruiting his type of players will eventually improve his offense but what I don't get is him refusing to try something different for the sake of winning with what he currently has
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    ^^THIS^

If you can't adapt, you are doomed to failure. For example, put Schrader in the backfield with Rogers or KJ and run a play designed for that skill set. In other words, do something that will take advantage of what the defense gives you. Not sure how this team & staff can go from the top of the world to the bottom of the pit in 2 weeks is unbelievable. Big, big head scratcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I know Leach is a good coach. He's been a good coach for 20 years.

I believe Leach's offense can work in the SEC. He's been too many places and seen to many things for it to have a fatal flaw.

What worries me most is Leach himself. Is he cut out to coach in the SEC from a work ethic and grinder standpoint.

Sure he coached under Mumme in the SEC but he was a young, hungry coach at that point and now he's a rich older guy. Money changes people and the absolute fact is that the SEC has the best coaches and players. It takes more work to be good.

Just this morning, there is a rumor that a coach was 1.5 hours late for a meeting. Not sure if that's true, but, if so, that won't cut it.

Being an hour late for press conferences is representation of your program.

I realize it's a COVID year but it's a COVID year for everyone.

Leach needs to tighten up. He's a great coach, but he won't win here while going through the motions.
    Have you not ever heard about, working from home? It's a thing now.

vCash
    [QUOTE=hp22;1277252]For some reason, I think we will play well this weekend. People going off the deep end with long term assessments following week 3 need to get a grip. That is insanity.

But our opening loss to South Alabama was prophetic of how that season was going to go .... not sure these two losses are any different from that opening loss - Yes, there's a lot of dumb people but there are just as many with a brain that can see and interpret what's in front of them

And the definition of insanity is actually doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Leach is a known partier and enjoys a good time. We knew this when we hired him. But being late to a meeting as a coach, unless it really was done to prove a point is unacceptable. It?s unacceptable for anyone in the program. If that did indeed actually happen
    I bet one of the other coaches, forgot to wake him.

vCash
    Message board posts aren't why we struggled. That's ridiculous
    We struggle because we do not know what we are doing. To learn to know what you are doing requires supervised, time and repetition which the powers to be do not allow you to have. Just x number of hours a week.

One of my favorite statements. Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD,

Methinks we need to hide and watch.

vCash
    [QUOTE=FISHDAWG;1277285]
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    For some reason, I think we will play well this weekend. People going off the deep end with long term assessments following week 3 need to get a grip. That is insanity.

But our opening loss to South Alabama was prophetic of how that season was going to go .... not sure these two losses are any different from that opening loss - Yes, there's a lot of dumb people but there are just as many with a brain that can see and interpret what's in front of them

And the definition of insanity is actually doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result
    The bold part was the exact reason I was upset with the gameplan at Kentucky. We did the exact thing and expected a different result. A good coach adjusts and a stubborn coach will not. We know Leach will always be a pass heavy offense. But can he adjust and at least make defenses respect the line of scrimmage. Should that stubborn approach continue to be our attack throughout the rest of the year, I'll be very worried.

I also think insanity appropriately defines the doom and gloom leach can't win here portion of the fanbase. We've already fired one coach 10 months ago....lets just keep firing them and hopefully we eventually win....insanity!

That said, I don't see any similarities in the South Alabama loss. That was in year 5 or so of Mullen. We were in game 3 with Leach.

I am concerned about these last two weeks. And I've been critical of the gameplan against the drop 8 zone. But let's see how the rest of the year plays out.
    Last edited by hp22; 10-12-2020 at 12:52 PM.